Amp for MTX Thunderform

Username: Gambit_002

Post Number: 6
My dad bought a MTX thunderform enclosure for my explorer which has an MTX thunder 4500 in it, what amp should i get for it? Their is a possibility that i will upgrade the sub...also, i have a factory deck.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 201
Hey Mike, for MTX thunder 4500, there are few models with different power ratings. Which one do you have? The amp will depend on that.
If you're not sure, you can always buy an amp that's higher in power rating than the speakers. This way you can use the amp in the future.
For subs, look for Class D amps with, very important, REMOTE BASS control. You won't regret it later.

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 19
It would help if you gave us the speaker specs (rms watts, ohm rating, single or dual voice coil) Best rule of thumb is to match the max rms for your speaker(s) with the rms rating of the amp. Unlike Isaac, I tend to use an amp that is a little under the speakers rating. This way you can expect many years of use from your equipment. I would NEVER recommend using more rms watts from an amp than the speaker manufacturer suggests.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 204
Okay Tim here's my analogy, I find most amps at max setting tends to distort or clip. So if you get an amp that's greater than the speaker's power, and operate the amp at 80%, you'll surely get clean output from it. If you did the opposite, there's a greater chance of burning out the speakers if the amp clips.
I know for a fact that most speakers blown are caused by clipping, not by little extra power.
Therefore whenever I have a choice, I tend to get stronger amp over speaker.
That's my 2 cents worth.. :-)

Post Number: 7
I am not sure what the specs on the sup are b/c we havent recieved it yet. Their are three different MTX thunder 4500 10" subs, one dual, one at 4 ohms and the other at 2 i bleieve, like i said though im not sure which one...i think im going to get JL 250/1, which is more than i need, but i may upgrade later.

Post Number: 8
Its been settled...i got a JL Audio 250/1 amp. Thanks for your input, it was much apritiated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us