How Much Power for CDT Comps?

Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 1
Putting an Alpine 9823 HU and CDT CL61T's in my Rodeo. An amp will come later (I know, I'll be disappointed until then). I'm trying to keep my budget under $500 total and I've got $300 in the HU and comps. Looking for an amp with decent clean power to run the CL-61's that will only cost about $100.00 leaving me room for the install. Looking at USAccoustics, Hifonics Falcon, Orion refurbs at Ike's. Any opinions on these or should I look at other models? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bronze Member
Username: An_eagalach

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 24
OK, let's get this out of the way: you will be much, much happier when you have an amp to drive those CDT CL61's. (Sorry, I just had to say that. I feel better now...) They like about 90 watts rms, and your HU puts out 18 watts per channel.

US Acoustics and Hifonics would work, although I've heard mixed reviews about both. Orion has a good rep, depending on the product line. But if you don't mind refurbs, try this link:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13761

The PPI PCX280 is 80 watts rms x 2. This is good buy at $139. On the same site the 50 watts x 2 version goes for $109, but I'd say spend the extra $30 for a bit more juice.

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Neil. So 50 watts won't get them breathing, eh? I bought the CDT's on internet reputation alone as I don't have a local rep/dealer. I'm sure it will be a step up from the Isuzu Deluxe System I'm living with now (at least it has "separates", but I suspect no external x-over). How "bad" will the interim be w/out the amp on the 18 Alpine watts, the CDT's seem pretty efficient?

Bronze Member

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 26
Nile and Neil, hmmmm, sounds like an old vaudeville act.

Oh yeah, 50 watts will make them breathe, but I'm thinking cost-benefit you'd be happier with 80 watts, that's all.

Your Alpine HU is good quality, it will give you 18 clean watts so at lower volumes you'll be fine, but if you're "in the mood" some time to crank it up, the electrons just won't be there, it will sound a little "thin" or even distort if you get a little too enthusiastic. (GlassWolf, Jonathan and others in here have written in numerous other posts about the sad results from underpowering.) CDT's aren't power pigs, but they like the wattage they're designed to take, and they really sing when they get it.

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 3
Hey Neil, I play guitar and sing so...
Thanks for your advice. Been looking at Coustic amps. Had a Coustic HU many years ago and it was decent. What is "Darlington Drive"? The street in front of the speedway? (Farewell Southern 500!)(haha) How does this technology differ from MOSFET, any benefits?

Bronze Member

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 27
You make me wish I could dance, then we'd be set.

Isn't Darlington Drive where the Duke and Duchess of Kent have their summer home? Actually, you're getting out of my league here with electronics questions, you'll have to pray that someone like GlassWolf checks out this thread. From the little that I know, Darlingtons are digital outputs and MOSFETs are traditional high-impedance transistors. How they interrelate or compare, um, I plead ignorance.

Coustic is not a bad brand, but Alpine HUs are much, much better.

Bronze Member

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 28
Oops, just noticed you were actually referencing Coustic amps, and simply mentioned having had a Coustic HU. Still, Alpine amps are better. For the same money (or maybe a tiny bit more) you can do better than Coustic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us