In your honest opinion...

Bronze Member
Username: Vtdakotaguy

VT United States

Post Number: 15
I am thinking of re-wiring my subs and would like peoples feedback. I currently have a 1999 Rockford Punch 800a2 amp that I have bridged. The 2 subs are Kicker Solobaric 10" L7's 4ohm DVC. I have them wired together so they show a 4ohm load. As I understand it, the amp will only see half of this so it is seeing a 2ohm load. Am I correct on this? Anyway the amp is only rated at 4ohm's bridged and they don't recomend bridging it down to 2ohms. Should I worry about this? Should I leave it as it is or should I change the amp back to 2 channel and wire the subs down to 2ohms each which the amp is rated at handling? Honesty what do you think?

Thanks,

LM

Bronze Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 17
ya be4 i got to the latter part i was just thinkin that u should not wire them any lower than 4-ohms b/c it is a 2-channel amp. I would stick w/ ur current set up or buy a mono amp like a JBL 1200.1 or Kicker KX 1200.1, personally, i like the Kicker KX, but both are pretty good and I have only had minimal experience with the JBL amp, truthfully

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 118
Hey Laish, I've checked out the specs for your speaker and amp. The amp will put out 400W x2 at 2ohms, 200W x 2 at 4 ohms and 800W x1 at 4ohms.
The speakers are 600W each. For maximum power, you need to bridge the amp. Connect the DVC in parallel for each speaker. This will give you 2 ohms per speaker. Now connect them in series to make 4 ohms total. Your amp will put out 800W in this configuration.
Hope that helps.

Bronze Member

VT United States

Post Number: 16
Is this how you mean? If so then this is how they are already wired. The amp is bridged Left + right -.

LMUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Hey Laish, you've basically made both speakers into an 8 ohm and then dropped it back to 4 ohms. What you need to do is, for each speaker, connect Plus to Plus and Minus to Minus thus giving you 2 ohms. Then you connect one Plus connector of the speaker and attach it to the othr Minus connector. Now use the connectors left from each speaker, Plus and Minus. Now both speakers combined will give you 4 ohms.
This will drive your amp in bridged mode at 4 ohms.

Bronze Member

VT United States

Post Number: 17
Thanks for your help Isaac, but I am really really confused. This is the first tme I am using a 2 channel amp so I am still trying to get the wiring driven into my thick skull. Is this what you mean?Upload

This is showing on RF and JL websites as being a 1ohm load. Am I missing something? Please don't give up on me.

Thanks again,

Laish

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Whoa Laish, if you did that, you'd be dropping your speakers to 1 ohms. This is how you should wire it. Look at your diagram, now take the red wire that's connecting the right speaker to your left, instead of connecting it to the left speaker's positive, connect that one to the negative. Now you'll have 2 unused speaker terminals right (pos from the left speaker and Neg from the right)? Use those to connect to the amp. The plus goes to the plus on the amp and neg to the neg.
Your original wiring was in a way correct. You had the 4 ohms in series = 8 ohms each, then you dropped it to 4 ohms. Although this works, if you read up on DVC, it's not the best choice.
Hope that helps.

Bronze Member

VT United States

Post Number: 18
Aaaaahhhhhhh I see. Why don't they have these diagrams on these websites? I got it now thanks for taking the time. In regards to reading up on DVC's is there an online resource that you suggest I read?

Thanks again for the help. Now I just have to mess with the wiring.

Laish

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
I don't remember the site's address anymore but if you do search on googles on DVC, I'm sure you'll find it. You might even find the reason why I told you connecting each voicecoil in parallel is better than connecting 2 spearks in parallel to achieve same result.

Username: Cerwinvega505

Post Number: 1
HEY GUYS IVE HEARD KCIKERS THE SQ ONES AND THOSE DONT CUT IT FOR ME I MEAN MY FRIEND TRADED THOSE FOR SOEM VEGAS AND THOSE THINGS POUND HARDER THAN ANYTHING IVE HEARD AND THAT CAR HAS NO AIR IN IT LEFT TO MOVE BECAUSE ITS ALL ABOUT MOVING AIR

IM NEW TO THIS CAR AUDIO STUFF LIKE I KNOW WHAT GOOD AND WHATS NOT BUT THE ONLY THINGIS THAT IDONT KNOW HOW TO RUN MY WIRES THROUGH MY 2000 CONTOUR SO I NEED SOME ADVICE BECAUSE IM GETTING A 800 WATT AMP ROCKFORD FOSTGATE PUSHING 2 12S OF SPL AND I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIND WHERE TO RUN MY WIRES AND HOW TO CONNECT EMAIL ME AT SPMVSLILROB@HOTMAIL.COM

ALSO KICKERS DONT KICK AT ALL COMPARED TO SPL CERWINVEGAS JBL ALPINE X

ARE NEXXON GOOD OR NO

Username: Cerwinvega505

Post Number: 2
ADVICE ON HOOKING UP AND RUNNING WIRES PLZZZZZZZZZ

Help2
Unregistered guest
Stop yelling and maybe someone will answer.

Anonymous

Listen you f**k'n douche bag, if you can't even wire your own lame *ss system you shouldn't be knocking other peoples equipment. What a retard. HI MY NAME IS ANTONIO CORREA AND I ACT AND TYPE LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD SO LISTEN TO ME WHILE I TALK SMACK!!!!!

DORK!!

Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 9
i agree with anonomys...the 1 that said Listen you f**k'n douche bag, if you can't even wire your own lame *ss system you shouldn't be knocking other peoples equipment. What a retard. HI MY NAME IS ANTONIO CORREA AND I ACT AND TYPE LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD SO LISTEN TO ME WHILE I TALK SMACK!!!!!

DORK!!"
i swear..im juss 13 and i can wire sum good systems...and dissin kicker...if u saw my feinds kicker system it would blow ya f***in eardrums out

Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 10
i agree with anonomys...the 1 that said Listen you f**k'n douche bag, if you can't even wire your own lame *ss system you shouldn't be knocking other peoples equipment. What a retard. HI MY NAME IS ANTONIO CORREA AND I ACT AND TYPE LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD SO LISTEN TO ME WHILE I TALK SMACK!!!!!

DORK!!"
i swear..im juss 13 and i can wire sum good systems...and dissin kicker...if u saw my feinds kicker system it would blow ya f***in eardrums out...also if u want info dont caps it and ask nicley...if u would have asked nicley i would have tauht u

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 29
You would pull the same watts stereo @ 2 ohms as you would bridged @ 4 ohms. amps push the same wattage bridged as they do in stereo with half the impedance. (i.e 500w x 1 @ 4 ohm = 250 w x 2 @ 2 ohm), or (500w x 1 @ 2 ohm = 250w x 2 @ 1 ohm) If an amp is stable to 1 ohm bridged, than it would be stable to 0.5 ohm stereo. If it's possible to run the channels stereo at the lowest ohm rating (some ppl don't have DVC's and can't fit/afford 4 spkrs) and for sound Q, it would be best to use the amp in stereo with 2 ohm load. THD rises as the ohms drop.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us