Problems Putting Jbl Bp 1200.1 in Chevy Cavalier

Unregistered guest
I have no problem wireing the L7's to the amp. But I DEFINITELY need some help installing the jbl bp 1200.1 amp into my 1998 cavalier. I deff know i need 4 gauge wire but I have heard that the car might not have enough juice to power that kind of amp. I think the alternator is only 105 amps. What I need to know is 1)What kind of amp install kit do i need, like how many watts? 2)Should I get a new battery or look for a new alternator? and 3)Could I just get a cap or two instead of an expensive alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5627
1: wait and see if you have any trouble with lights dimming.
2: try www.mralternator.com for a HO alt for the chevy if you need one.
3: you need at least 4ga. www.knukonceptz.com has a kit for ~$30
4: battery only helps if the engine is off, and capacitors don't replace the need for a big enough alternator. see here:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 15
Don't forget about an upgrade of the "Big 3" wires. Alternator --> + on Battery, - Battery --> Ground (Chasis), and Alternator Casing --> Ground (Chasis).

-Jamie

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 121
Hey Cavi954, I not sure about your alternator putting out 105A. Most stock items are around 65A for old cars and 75A for current ones.
Like Gasswolf said, wait till you see signs first before investing money.
You can easily calculate the power using 65A x 12V = watts. That'll give you some idea on if there's enough juice left for the amp. Don't forget about your lights/radio/heather etc, they all subtract power from that total.

Bronze Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 13
Cavi...do the idea im gonna do soon...install and extra alternator so 1 can be 4 ya car sock stuff(like ac and all that) and the other 4 ya stuff u buy...it might cost more but it will help u in the long run

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 31
Sux for us huh Cav? I need one for my ride as well. Those things ain't cheap. I bet one designed with a stereo in mind is really expensive. . . (sigh)

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink187

anyone ever just ran a straight battery in their trunk (not connected to the alt) but grounded in the back as well just to the amp? talking about a reg car batter you can buy at walmart for $30 lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
wtf?!? and when it goes dead?!?!?!?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5792
shawn, bad idea. the battery will get damaged when it gets down to about 10 volts. the internal cells will take a dump and once that happens, you can't fix them.
the other problem is that you stand a good chance of the battery gassing on you, and that, will KILL you.
not a good idea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
In that case, I think Shawn should try it out first!

(j/k Shawn)

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 226
lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Shawn, just buy an isolator for the 2nd battery, then you'll have no problem. Of course this means you'll need to hook it up properly (charged by the alternator).

Username: Cavi954

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 2
wait... ur saying instead of buying a new alternator i can use a deep cycle battery from my boat and just use an isolator to keep the battery charged ? and would replacing my regular battery with the deep cycle battery help to power the sub ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
No that post was for Shawn. You do need a HO alternator. If you're planning to buy or have jbl 1200.1 amp, it's going to kill your stock alternator and possibly the battery.
I got mine from 4alterstart.com. Get the largest possible for your car. Don't forget to buy capacitor too. You'll need it to get tight bass.

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 3
the highest i can find is 105 amps but i dont think its enough tho to push the amp without the lights dimmin n stuff but that doesnt bother me much

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 4
*105 is the highest one i found

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Did you go to 4alterstart.com? They will make you a custom one if they have to. I know so cause I called them before. There's nothing they can't make.
I wouldn't buy 105A anyways, it's not that far off from the stock model. 150 and up is worth investing though.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 237
I was working on a friends car (2004 Chevy Cavi) and with the car running I got a 12.5 Volt reading... lol, is this ehhh below average glass or typical for a chevy?

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 5
i wish somebody had this set up and could tell me what im gonna need. the alternator is gonna have to wait cuz im out of $ after spending 500+ on the solo's. wat size cap sould i borrow if im gonna use that as a temp solution untill my alternator fries and im forced to find another?

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Hey Cavi954, you'll need 1.5 to 2F capacitor with that amp. Sometimes it's cheaper to get 2 1F than trying to get one 2F.

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 6
the questions just keep comin, what is up with the refurbs on cardomain.com? Will they send me somthing that works?

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
I've had my share of refurbs, personally, they're not worth it. A used amp is much better. Brand new of course it the first choice but if money is tight, then used. Lots of people swear refurbs are great, but it's like playing that Russian game, sooner or later it'll get you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
I've had my share of refurbs, personally, they're not worth it. A used amp is much better. Brand new of course it the first choice but if money is tight, then used. Lots of people swear refurbs are great, but it's like playing that Russian game, sooner or later it'll get you.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 166
Damien, That is pretty low. Should be around 13.5 to 14.4. Most chevy's I have delt with ran closer to 14. I would check it again with a known good volt meter.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 263
It was checked with a digital multimeter actually... I thought it was low which is why I brought it up in this post; I don't know what to say, The car is on and im reading 12.5 lol, my car reads 14.5 - 14.7V with the same multimeter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Hey could it be that you're having a problem with your regulator or alternator? From my experience, when I had problem with my alternator, the voltage was around 12v.

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 7
Im talkin about the refurbished subwoofers from kicker. My friend has a 15 that they rebuilt and it works fine. I was just wonderin if anybody else has heard anything good/bad. It comes with a warrenty just in case.

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
This is from my experience, used speakers are terrible and not worth buying. It's like the opposite of amps. Most of the sellers are selling cause the speakers are either about to blow or experienced some clipping. I could never do that. It's so dishonest.
Not too sure about refurb subs though. Some have nightmares and some don't. When it comes to speakers, I say buy'em new.

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 8
well yea i have almost no cash so im gonna have to stick with the refurbs. I hope i dont have to use the warranty. but ok this is my last question.the amp has 4 speaker outputs (2- and 2+). so how the hell do i plug it in. cant i just use 2 of them once i get it wired at 2 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Hey Cavi954, I think on that amp, the connectors are doubled up. What I mean by that is, they give you 2 connectors each so that you can attach 2 speakers to one amp. So use 1 + and -.

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 9
in-line fuse? what size? its pullin more than 80 amps and my wiring kit has an 80 amp fuse. Is this thing gonna melt?

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
For short bursts, it won't blow. 80A fuse can handle more than the rated power. However, if it's a continous load, then it will blow before your wire melts. What gauge is your wire anyways? If it's 4 gauge, it can handle much more than 80A.

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 10
yea its 4 ga wire. jus dont wanna go buy more fuses.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
Hey Cavi954, add up all the fuses in your amp/amps and that's the minimum total your in-line fuse should be.

Bronze Member

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 11
well in that case the 80 amp wont help. you cant contradict yourself like that. the sub has 3 40 amp fuses. So i have to replace it with at least a 120 amp fuse ?

Bronze Member

Deerfield, Florida

bronze member :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
Hey Cavi954 bronze member, I didn't contradict myself. It is true, 80A fuse can handle more than the rated power. However only for short bursts. If your amp is requiring 120A, then 80A will certainly blow.
You will need 120A at the mininum.

Bronze Member

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 14
glasswolf, jamie, mostly isaac tho, thanks for the help, ill let you know how it sounds

Bronze Member

Deerfield, Florida

Post Number: 15
oops one more question. will a 120-150 amp fuse fit into the same fuse holder that came with a 60 amp fuse in my cheap a$s kit

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
Hey Cavi954, look at your fuse, it'll tell you what type it is. I think it's AGU or something like that. I orderd my fuses yesterday, 10 100A and 5 80A. All for $12.40 including shipping!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us