Old amp...no remote wire?

Matty00pro
Unregistered guest
I just got this amp (Pioneer GM-2000) but it doesn't have a remote wire spot, just wondering how to hook it up.

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 96
You might have to buy a remote wire kit then. Without remote wire, you'll have to manually turn on and off the amp. It's not a good idea.
If the amp is not worth much, you might want to invest in a bit more modern one.

Matty00pro
Unregistered guest
So just put a switch on the power cord? Is that bad for the amp or battery? How were they hooked up in the past/when they came out?

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
I wouldn't recommend it. You see if you forget to turn off the amp manually, you'll drain the battery.
Best way is to either buy a new amp (easiest) or by the remote wiring kit. The ladder will reqire some skills.
Besides, I don't think you'll be able to find a power switch that's 60A rated.

Matty00pro
Unregistered guest
Can't just splice the switch with something.....like ignition, or headlights. So when the driving lights are turned on, the amp is turned on also? (& off when lights off)

If i have another amp already hooked up, can i somehow just feed from it's remote on/off signal?

Sorry for all q's, just wondering before i jus get new amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Hey Matty, just remember, other devices are low amperage. Your head lights for example might have a 30A fuse. The amp is usually 60A. You'll most likely bow the fuse for lights, heater etc.
If you have any experience in wiring cars, buy a remote wire kit and link it to ignition switch.
Unless the old amp is worth all this trouble, I'd get a new amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us