ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

Username: Danny525

Post Number: 2
WILL I NEED AN ALTERNATOR UPGRADE ON 1000 RMS TO 1500 RMS SUB IN A 1993 MUSTANG COBRA. I GOT 4 1230 INFINITYS, RUNNIN WITH 200 RMS EACH, AND WAS CONSIDERING A POWER ACOUSTIK MOFO 15, ANY AND ALL INFO ON THESE SUBS, AND THE ALTERNATOR WOULD BE GREAT THANKS!

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 13
STOP SCREAMING! Please don't talk in all caps.

It's Rude.
-Jamie

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 95
Hey I'm also getting an alternator upgrade, 170A. For a Mustang, you should be able to find 180A - 200A. With that you'll be able to power 2000W amp.
On Power Acoustik, I hear they have lots of problems with their amps. Might not be a wise investment for now. Try Audiobahn, MTX, Kicker, and MA Audio.

Username: Hurleyblink187

Post Number: 1
Hey, im also upgrading.. a lot when you look at it, going from a stand alone 500 watt amp, to a 1400 watt amp, but im still going to run the 500 so thats a total of 1900 watts.. 950 rms. Umm still driving around in my ol 88 cutlass ciera dunno what the hell my alt output is, but does anyone think this will be a problem? i think it may be around a 90-108 amp alt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Whoa Shawn, I wouldn't be blasting any music during winter. There's a great chance that your alternator/electrical system might blow. The average alternator power for old cars are round 65 amps, give or take a few. That'll give you 780W the most, that's without anything else running. You add in the heater/air, radio, lights, and if you're lucky, you'll end up with 450W left to use on the amp.
I strongly advice an alternator upgrade if you want to run all the amps, and maybe a power wire upgrade too. You'll need 4 gauge for that much power, a capacitor if your lights dim during high volumes.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2620
danny, saying that you have a 5.0 in that car aftermarket alternators are very easy to find. http://www.mralternator.com
Just make sure you get the one for the serpentine belt drive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Hey you might want to try 4Alterstart.com first. They're much cheaper in price compared to mralternator.com. I ordered my 170A from them for the price of 130A from mralternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us