My speakers dont sound good enough

Username: Hassan

Post Number: 2
hello everybody i have polk speakers in my car 100 rms and 300 peak. i dont have an amp for them. they sound really bad if they are turnd up more than the middle. wil getting an amp solve this problem and if yes what amp would you ceromend? any help would be apreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5590
yes, and any decent amp that puts our about 50 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms
use a high pass filter setting on the amp or ehad unit, too. set it to about 125Hz to prevent the speakers from distorting from bass.

Post Number: 3
if i get an amp do you think i would be able to turn the valume up all the way. or will it usually distort. thank you for your reply by the way.

Help
Unregistered guest
Do you have an aftermarket head unit?

You will be able to turn up the volume if the gains
are set properly.

Username: Romesaz

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
I might be incorrect in this, since I havent dealt with car audio, but a lot of speakers (home audio, some audiophile, etc...) will distort at VERY high volumes. Plus it's usually not recommended to turn them to the highest settings especially if you dont have enough power to drive them, since that can damage speakers.
Just my 2 cents worth. Feel free to comment and correct me.

Help2
Unregistered guest
Hes trying to listen at levels which are
too high for his current power situation.
Solved with an amplifier usually.

Bronze Member
Username: Romesaz

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
well, the reason i posted the above was cause he asked if he'd be able to turn to "volume up all the way or will it usually distort". So i wasnt really referring to his current situation, but rather what he was asking about.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5635
they'll get louder, at lower volume readings on the head unit with an amp.
any head unit will start to introduce distortion when you get over about two-thirds volume though, so try not to turn the knob all the way up ever if you can avoid it.
with the amp though, it'll definitely be louder.
adding subs helps a LOT too, because they give a lot more feel and warmth to a system, and fill in a lot of what's otherwise missing, even if the subs aren't hella loud thumping type bass. Even at a flat curve, a sub makes a big difference with good door speakers.

Stephen Pearcy2
Unregistered guest
Glass is right. You can get an amp that 'does the job' for $150. Amps usually run $100-$150 to install, wire, mount. This is about the best $275 you can spend.

I hope you're not a fan of rap, rock or alternative because Polks do not handle those well, even with an amp. If these are your music types, consider getting some Infinity Kappas, Bostons, or even MB.

Post Number: 4
if it doesnt sound good with rap or rock or alternative what does it sound good with lol. oh well its to late to take them back i only got them becouse i thought i was getting a good deal on them. i dont have enough money to get a good 4 chanel now i just wish the mids sounded better . by the way i have a pioneer DEH-P6600 that skips like krazy when the bass is up, i tried every thing its not helping! db6500 front speakers db690 back speakers. mtx 801d amp and two 15 kickers compvr.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
High School guy? Hey, man...I hear ya. I remember being broke.

Rip out the backs and buy a 2 channel amp or get some budget-conscious Infinitys, driven by your head unit. Post those Polks on Ebay or use them as an ashtray. I agree. Boston's are great too (in your budget). Look for a cheap amp 50WX2.

Post Number: 5
actually im in college and graduating next quarter. its not that im broke im just spending my money on other things for now. plus i want to get a good 4 chanel amp instead of a cheap 2channel although it would be a good temporary solution. thank you for your advise by the way

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 70
The skipping may be caused by the deck not being installed right. You may be able to fix this by securing the back of the deck to the vehicle. If the deck is allowed to wiggle inside of the DIN then it will cause skipping. If you cant find a way to secure the deck then shove a bunch of old socks in there. Pack em tight. :-)

Post Number: 8
sockes? lol are you seriose. did you ever try it? its funny but im going to try it wish me luck

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 76
Socks are a last resort. I just said that cause you said u didn't want to spend money on it. Just do whatever to make sure the deck is installed good and solid. I had the same problem and I just installed a bracket to the screw thing on the back of my deck.

Post Number: 9
you know tha problem is that the space where you put the deck is alot bigger than the deck i have a 96 dodge neon thanks for your reply

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
go to your pro shop and fork out the $50
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us