Recomended amps

Username: Myster129

Cali

Post Number: 1
hey guys, im preety new to this stuff. im looking for an amp that will run 800watts at 2ohm. im not looking into spending more than 250 shipped, i just want somthing that will get the job done and last for a while. i was looking at the audiobahn A8001DT and the Hifonics that runs 1000 @ 2 ohms (i was also thinking of the weaker hifonics that runs 1000 @ 1ohm, and getting subs that will got down to 1, but im worried about how long they will last). since i still dont have subs or anything i would like some opinions. im set on 2 12" subs with 400 rms each. and i only have 200 dollars now and no job so money is tight, but im willing to save a lil more. i was thinking on spending about at most 250 shipped on an amp and at most 140 shipped on subs(i know its not a lot, but im just looking for stuff that will give some bang, nothing for compiting, just my use). thanks guys, im just trying to do some hw on the stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5505
two kicker compVR subs, dual 2 ohm coil models.
400wRMS each rated. cost about $99 each
JBL bp600.1 600wRMS x1 @ 2ohms on cardomain.com refurb for about $150 I think, with full 1 yr warranty.
www.bigdogcaraudio.com dual 12" compVR slot vented box ~$45
www.knukonceptz.com 4ga amp wiring kit $30

Cali

Post Number: 2
do refurb's run as good as new ones, whats the deal with them. also, out of the amps i posted which one would be the best, and do hifonics run cool at 1ohm

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5520
refurb means the amp was returned to the mfgr, taken apart, repaired to as-new if needed, and repackaged.
they are as good as new, and carry a factory warranty of 1 year.

I don't like hifonics or audiobahn personally.
that's why I suggested what to get.
nothing is going to be cool to the touch at 1 ohm by the way. that's going to be a lot of current draw for any amp that's able to go to that low of a load, and distortion increases as load decreases.
SNR, damping, and headroom also all suffer at lower loads. The only real gain is power, chich you could get buy buying a larger amp that delivers the same power at a higher load.

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 185
yo glass is that why Boss over heat so easy???? cuz they are .5 ohm stable?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5533
entirely depends on the amp's design and the quality of the compoments used in it's construction.
Orion's 225HCCA is half-ohm stable, and while it runs very very hot (class AB) at .5 ohms, I've never had one shut down on me, partly because the amps use all MilSpec guts, so they have greater tolerances to voltage, heat, etc. It really just comes down to how well the amp is made.
JBL and Kicker have good 1 ohm stable amps, as do numerous other companies.
You just have to keep in mind that the lower the load, the more you lose to heat, and in short, the more you stress teh amp to get the power you're after.
The handy part is it's usually cheaper than buying a bigger amp to get the same power at a higher load.
500 watts @ 2 ohms is going to be cheaper than 500 watts @ 4 ohms.

Cali

Post Number: 3
hey, i was looking at the jbl (refurbished)1200.1, 200+shiping, but im worried that my car cant handle that much power draw. i have an 84 oldsmobile omega, and i dont have power anything (windows ect). my stepdad also just replaced the alternator, but i dont know how much its generating. also if the dont have the volume up that high on the amp, will it still drain as much power. also if anyone has any more opinions on amps, im willing ot listen, just remember cash is tight. and one more thing would ading a second battery help, and what is that thing to add the second battery called and where can i get it.

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 31
I would just listen to Glasswolf and go with the 600w amp. That will push those kickers pretty hard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us