Connecting 6 speakers to 4 ch. amp?

Username: Mw86

Post Number: 1
I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 300X powering 4 (4 ohm) speakers (37.5W x 4). I'd like to add two more 4 ohm speakers (5.25") for a "fuller sound". My whackass idea is to splice off of the rear channels and connect the new speakers in parallel. Can someone tell me if this is feasible, or worth the effort? What will my effective power rating be at each speaker?

Please keep in mind that you're dealing with an electrical idiot, so please use small words and be merciful. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5495
if you ran two speakers per channel in back, and all four were of similar type and freq response, each speaker would get the rated 4 ohm power, since impedance would halve.
if the amp is 37.5x4 @ 4 ohms, each speaker would get 37.5 ohms

However, that said, your best bet in my opinion would be to sell all the speakers and forget rear speakers otally.
get one good set of front separates and run those on amp channels 1 and 2
then bridge channels 3 and 4 and add a small subwoofer, say a 10", to fill in the missing frequency range.
that will give a far far better end result for fullness of sound. Rear fill is pointless really, from a SQ stance.. unless you have people in the back seat who demand it.

Username: Mw86

Post Number: 2
GlassWolf, thanks for your response. It's real helpful.

I should have been more specific but I didn't want to bore everyone w/ details. I want to add onto my existing setup which I'm pretty much happy with. I have the 4-ch amp powering 5x7" Boston Acoustics in the front and 5.25" Boston Acoustics in the rear. I also have a RF Punch 40i powering a 15" Lanzar. Overall SQ is pretty good but like I said, I have an extra pair (exact same model) 5.25" B.A.'s. I thought I'd throw them in if it was feasible. I have a focus hatch back so the service tray in back seemed like the easiest drop-in. Do you think getting Q-forms (sp?) for the front is the better way to go? What other options would I have? Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5607
the Qforms in front would add more presence in the front of the car. if you put both BA 5.25" pair together on the same two amp channels in parallel, that'd be teh best bet for power. that'll split power evenly for them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us