Coaxials in stock components spot?

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 264
if I put a set of coax 5.25" in to replace my stock components will it get the full range of sound or do I have to do something so that it will get full range frequencies?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5498
you should get the full range the speakers and source are capable of..
you're not going to improve bass response though if that's what you're after.
you need at least a small powered sub for that.. especially on factory systems

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 265
the 512i infinity coax speakers I put in are only temporary until my Alpine TypeR mid's get here. I have a set of cheap tweets coming to replace the stock tweets too. At least until I can find a set of alpine typeR tweets. at least mounting depth won't be an issue in my doors.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 30
there are advantages to using coaxials. one benefit is that the tweeter and mid are so close together. you get a near perfect point source, avoiding potential time alignment problems that can degrade the realism of your music.

but coaxials can't usually make strong midbass like components can. it's a trade off.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2600
Coaxials generally don't have a good crossover either, and poor designs can cause the tweeter's location to interfere with the mid. Well designed coaxials are nice, such as the Eclipse point source coaxials and the CDT braxials (those are more or less components, though). Component tweeters can be made to be even closer to proper phasing if installed correctly, it's just that most people usually put the mids in stock locations and the tweeters up very high in the a pillars or upper door.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us