Possible Amp Issue? Or wiring?

Username: Tr0wa

Post Number: 1
I have 2 15 inch Cerwin Vega Vmag subs. They are 400 RMS 1000 Peak each. I know I am underpowering my subs but I don't think that's why I'm having the problem that I'm having, and I am planning on getting a new amp which I'll ask about in the second part of this post.

Whenever I change tracks or radio stations (basically whenever it goes from sound to silence) my subs pop. The higher the volume of my stereo at the time the lower the volume of the pop. So if i have my volume very low and change tracks I get a very loud hit. I've tested both subs seperately to make sure neither are damaged and they work fine. Did I mess up something with my amp or is this wiring?

Next I wanted to get an amp that would power these subs effectively. I have them run in parallel and they are 4 ohm's each. That means I'm looking for ~2000 watt amp @ 2 ohms, correct? And if correct can anyone make a recommendation on brand and how much I should expect to pay. Thanks :-)

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 193
Some amps pick up that thump your talking about. You might have a ground problem, try finding a better chassis ground. some amps are built differently from other some have circuitry that blocks out those noises. I had a cheap amp that use to thump when I would turn my car off lol.

For a amp you might want to look at the mtx thunder801d, jbl bp600.1

Palmerton, PA

Post Number: 2
I've just regrounded, and I've used this amp before with the same setup and had no problem, but you would say you think it's the amp?

and what are the price tags on those amps you listed?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 195
the jbl should be like 180 an the rockford should be the same or a lil more.

Palmerton, PA

Post Number: 3
so final recommendation here don't bother messing with the old amp and just get a new one, you think it's an amp issue?

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 32
I think maybe a deck problem. Your deck is what generates the signal to feed the amp. The amp just amplifies what ever it gets. So if it pops when you change from radio to cd or whatever its probably in the deck. Just a thought.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us