I need an expert to look at this please. 2 l7's & jbl1200.1 amp

Username: Isr

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Hello please see pic attached.
any suggestions,
imran@imranxp.com
thank you.
I'm willing to paypal someone money if my problem gets fixed 100%.
By the way, the subs are brand new. dual 4 ohm.me6.jpg

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 3
http://www.imranxp.com/me6.jpg
if it doesnt load.

Bronze Member
Username: Fosgatemonsterz

San Lorenzo, California USA

Post Number: 17
That picture makes a lil no sence. To hook it up to an 1OHM load, you should only have 1 positive and 1 negitive like in the rockford fosgate picture. If i'm all wrong, tell me and exlpain a little more better. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2587
The amplifier has two terminals for convenience. That's not the problem. JBLs tend to work better with all 4 RCAs used, try getting a y splitter for each side and put those on there and see if the sound improves. Since you're using the head unit's crossover, turn off the crossover at the amp(or turn it all the way up if you can't turn it off, can't remember about the 1200.1). Gain settings are hard to tell and honestly, to properly set them you'd need either an oscilloscope or a voltmeter and a 0db reference tone to get accurate results. Make sure your ground is solid, and you're using proper guage wiring. Also, when the subs seem to fade, make sure the electrical system (alternator) isn't straining and voltage doesn't drop dramatically. You could be experiencing a current delivery problem.

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 4
I know its not the alternator, i have a 20 farad cap.
The wiring is 4 guage. I try the gain all the way up on amp and 0 on head unit and see what happens. By the way, can you please explain to me how to properly break in new subwoofers?
Thank You.

Bronze Member
Username: Fosgatemonsterz

San Lorenzo, California USA

Post Number: 19
To break in subwoofers, you listen to them at a typical normal volume setting for at least 20-30 hours.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 194
You said you have your crossover at 40hz. It should be atleast on 80hz your probably blocking the tones you want to hear. Also try everything Jonathan said. Try turning the head units crossover off an use the one on the amp, sometimes head units crossover arent to accurate.

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 5
I turned the BSE setting on the pioneer 860 mp off... and it seems okay.. but when it does get a high volumes it does tend to get funky beat.
Like If I play a song that goes:
example:
BOOOOOOOM - it will cut off like so.
BOO_____OOO___M cutt's off and on inbetween..

I hope the example made sense to you all. ( dont think i'm crazy ) =] lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2593
Break the subs in first. When subs are newer, the suspension is tighter and the voice coils will need to burn off excess glue. Your gain shouldn't have to be set all the way up, 60% or lower is usually about right, you should try setting the gain lower and see if that helps as well. What kind of subs are we talking about here? What kind of enclosure are they in? Try setting the crossover higher like Joseph suggested. Definately try the Y connectors as well. Make sure all the wiring is tightly mounted, not frayed in at any point, and that the subs terminals and leads are good.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5493
capacitors don't make up for a lacking alternator.
caps and alternators serve completely different purposes.
don't ever turn gain all the way up on an amp. no more than about half way usually.

your amp is cutting of because it's clipping due to the gain being too high, and lack of sufficient current most likely.

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 6
I guess i'll go buy a battery and see how it does. I'm thinking those new Optima batteries....

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5521
that won't do anyhting but put more strain on the alternator if the engine is running you know.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2599
Alternator, alternator, alternator. There is nothing you can plug in behind it that will fix a lacking alternator, period, not batteries, not capacitors.

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 7
Thank you for clearing that up for me and saving me money on a battery. I guess I will price out a high output alternator.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2611
Go to mralternator.com and see if they have one for your vehicle.

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 8
nope, no luck..
02 3.2tl type s. =\

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 208
www.4alterstart.com has the 2001 to your car but the 2001 might fit there number 1800-607-0016. If that doesnt work this site www.motorcityreman.com can build you a new one from scratch heres there number 586-773-2089. Or you might have to find a locla shop that can upgrade you factory alternator to a HO version. good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us