2 ohm vs. 4 ohm amp question?

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 17
If I have two component speakers with 4 ohms impedance each and two coaxials speakers also at 4 ohm impedance. What type of amp do I need so that each speaker gets 100+ watts. I know I need a four channel but I do not understand why amps post ratings at 2 ohms and 4ohms. Why are posted RMS watts higher at 4 ohms. Please help with some options. Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 31
Hey Paul, they list power at 2 and 4 ohms so that depending on your speaker configuration, you can either go with 2 ohm or 4 ohm setting. Since your speakers are 4 ohms, get a 4 channel amp that'll give you maximum power at that ohms. I personally bought Audiobahn 2000W 4 channel amp. I looked at other brands but I wanted one that can operate as a sub amp and a full range amp. If money is a problem for you, try MA audio. They also make 4 channel at a reasonable price. You'll never know how good a sound could get till you by pass the headunit's amp!

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 18
What type of reputation does MA Audio have? What model specifically would use to get at least 100W per channel?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
The model that I liked was HK597. It is 200W rms per channel at 4 ohms and 400W per channel at 2 ohms. I was going to buy this amp but decided to go with Audiobahn A4125HCT 4 channel amp, only cause it came with a bass remote control. MA audio amp has much more power though as you can see.
If power is what you want at a resonable price, try MA. If you want maximum power for driving subs, then try Audiobahn, it is 1000W rms x 2 at 1 ohms!
If I had more cash, I would've bought MA audio also and use it for powering front and rear, use Audiobahn to drive my sub.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 183
Both audio bahn and ma audio are trash if you want decent sound at a nice price look into jbl, mtx, kicker. Thats quality stuff that you wont have to pay an arm and a leg for

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
When you say Audiobahn and MA are trash, what model are you talking about? I know they make cheap amps as well as some higher quality.
Have you had experience with Audiobahn A4125HCT and MA Audio HK597?
I don't know about you but those 2 models are good amps, at least to me.
Maybe you had some bad experiences with their cheaper models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us