Adjusting crossovers

Username: Vtdakotaguy

VT United States

Post Number: 6
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has or has any experience with the Alpine SPR-176a 6.5" comp. speakers? My question is what do you have them crossed over at? The frequency response is listed as 40hz to 30khz. I initially set them at 50hz and up and they were showing a lot of distortion. I then tried 63 then 80 and now I have them at 125. They seem right now. What do you all have them set at? Not just the 176a's, but any 2 way comp. set? A friend said he had his comps. crossed over at 150. That seems a little too high. Thanks for you help,

LM

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5244
100-125Hz is good.
use a 12dB slope
that'll roll off well to subs set at about 60-80Hz with an 18dB slope.

VT United States

Post Number: 7
Hi Glasswolf and thank you for the response. I have just one question. How do I adjust the slope? I have the basics with iPersonalize down, but the parametric eq and some of the other settings I still don't understand. Second you mentioned the following...

"that'll roll off well to subs set at about 60-80Hz with an 18dB slope"

I currently have my subs set to a low cut-off of 40hz (24hz to 100hz freq. resp claimed by the manufacturer). Are you suggesting I raise it to between 60-80hz? I have a pair of Kicker 10" L7 4ohm DVC powered by a RF Punch 800a2 bridged at 2 ohms. The Alpine comps. are powered by the deck. This is the first time I have had any real car audio equipment. There isn't anyone I trust to mess around with it here. I pretty much set it so it sounded good to me and then backed it off just a bit to be a little more sure. If you can help that would be great, but If you can point me to some resources that would be great as well. Thanks for your help.

LM

btw I love the charger!! Mopar or no car!!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5278
the manual for the head unit explains the slope settings for the built in crossover.
yeah I'd raise the XO point for the subs higher than 40. try 80.
if its too high drop to 60.

VT United States

Post Number: 8
Thanks glasswolf. I have read that part in the manual over and over again and it never made any sense as to how to adjust the slope. I just happened to stumble onto it this morning while messing around with the iPersonalize . I think I figured it out.

I have the front and rear channels set to 125hz 0db 12dB/oct

I have the subs set to 80hz 0db 18dB/oct

Is that what you mean?

Thanks alot this is a big help,

LM

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5294
you nailed it.
does it sound any different now?

VT United States

Post Number: 9
Thank you Glasswolf. Yes it does sound different. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it seems that the different sounds are not so jumbled together. Or are least they are separated more from each other. Does that make any sense. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

LM

kklagge
Unregistered guest
I need a new head unit and was wondering what head unit you & Glasswolf were talking about that you can adjust so much info on the XO points?

Bronze Member

VT United States

Post Number: 11
It's an Alpine CDA-9833. There are a bunch of other models which can do similar things. Here is a link to Alpine's website.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

You can also register with iPersonaiize without having to buy a deck if you want to checkit out.

Here is a direct link to the 9833 on Crutchfields website.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UE9vDn4ktpi/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=500CDA9833&cc=01 &search=9833

LM

LM

Unregistered guest
Hello, I just found this site trying to figure out how to adjust the settings on my Alpine cda-7894 unit. I misplaced the manual. My problem is I replaced my factory speakers with Orion 5.25 and Orion 6*9 but the sound does not sound good at all. Nothing like at the store where I bought them. I have a button on the unit called T.CORR and I messed with the different settings. Got it to sound a little better but I know there is something else I could do. Could someone please tell me HPF and LPF means and what I should set the numbers on for each set of speakers. thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5818
download the manual in PDF format from www.alpine1.com
that'd be all ya need :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us