Need manual for alpine 3342

ahardb0dy
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a manual for a alpine 3342, anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5219
contact alpine or try alpine1.com

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5220
what do you need to know about it by the way?
It's a parametric EQ, 7 bands.
4 front, 3 back, or 7 if used in two-channel mode.
adjustable freq, cut/boost, and slope.

I have a 3341 sitting downstairs which is essentially the exact same EQ, with a different type of screw knob for settings.

It's all pretty self explanitory if you know how to use an RTA and set an EQ.
If you don't have access to an RTA, don't bother trying to use or set that 3402. It'd be akin to trying to tie your shoes with a pair of chopsticks. Rather futile, and pointless.

ahardb0dy
Unregistered guest
glasswolf, you may need to go back and check your facts because the 3342 is not a parametric EQ, it's an 11 band with no adjustments for slope, I know pretty much everything about the 3342 having owned one way back when they first came out, I just wanted to see if I could locate the manual in case I forgot anything. As for the RTA, I'm not so much concerned with adjusting the settings to make my car's environment perfect as I don't have the system set up for comp. I just like to be able to decrease or increase certain freq's to let me listen to music the way I prefer to. If you have a 3341 which you say is similiar I don't know what you have as my 3342 is a 2 pc. unit with the brain hidden away and all the controls on a remote face. I've been to alpine's site and didn't see a listing for this manual, I've also been to www.pacparts.com and they don't have the manual either.Oh I also like the BBE feature as well.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5272
I just thought about that. I was thinking of the 3402. I have a 3401 downstairs.
hey after dealing with 15 years of Alpine using 4 digit numbers for their products it gets tedious remembering all of them.
The 3342 came after the 3339 which I have two of as well. One is in my Jeep.

Did you try contacting Alpine support?
They only keep manuals on-line for a certain amount of time.
Usually two generations.
You don't need an RTA for the EQ you have.. you would for the 3401 or 3402

ahardb0dy
Unregistered guest
apline's site says they are just starting to have manuals on line, I really don't need the manual to use the EQ, I bought it the other night from E-bay, I hooked it up to my powersupply to test it ( and everything started to come back to me) because the guy I got it from said the display didn't work. From what I've discovered the display doesn't work in the green color but everything works fine in orange, I also bought another face (control) unit from another guy on E-bay and hooked that up, same thing orange works, green doesn't. I guess that may be a common failure with this model I don't know for sure, The green bulbs work just the actual LCD doesn't show anything in green mode. I wasn't trying to sound like I was saying you didn't know what you were talking about sorry if I sounded that way. I do have a quick question about this install if you don't mind, this EQ would install between my headunit and crossover correct? Since the 3342 only has one input (L&R) I was going to run from my headunit either from the front or rear RCA outputs to the 3342 than run my 2 existing RCA cables to my KICKER 3 way crossover I'm using. I figure this way I can still alter the music before it gets crossed over and is sent to each amp. (PPI 2200 old art series for the subs, alpine 3554 for my front speakers) Thanks, nice cat ramps too by the way LOL

ahardb0dy
Unregistered guest
apline's site says they are just starting to have manuals on line, I really don't need the manual to use the EQ, I bought it the other night from E-bay, I hooked it up to my powersupply to test it ( and everything started to come back to me) because the guy I got it from said the display didn't work. From what I've discovered the display doesn't work in the green color but everything works fine in orange, I also bought another face (control) unit from another guy on E-bay and hooked that up, same thing orange works, green doesn't. I guess that may be a common failure with this model I don't know for sure, The green bulbs work just the actual LCD doesn't show anything in green mode. I wasn't trying to sound like I was saying you didn't know what you were talking about sorry if I sounded that way. I do have a quick question about this install if you don't mind, this EQ would install between my headunit and crossover correct? Since the 3342 only has one input (L&R) I was going to run from my headunit either from the front or rear RCA outputs to the 3342 than run my 2 existing RCA cables to my KICKER 3 way crossover I'm using. I figure this way I can still alter the music before it gets crossed over and is sent to each amp. (PPI 2200 old art series for the subs, alpine 3554 for my front speakers) Thanks, nice cat ramps too by the way LOL

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5303
yeah wire it after the head unit, then to the XO.
That's how I'd run it anyway. Then you get full spectrum response from the pre-outs with a good line voltage so the spectrum display will look right.
It's a good EQ, and it's about ten years old, so I'm not surprised something went out.
It sounds like it's just the LED driver circuit though, and those things were pre-surface mount so it's all solid state. Should be easy enough to repair for any radio repair shop guy.
You could get it serviced.

this is how I mounted the 3339 in the jeep.
Upload

ahardb0dy
Unregistered guest
would the led driver control both colors? or would there be one for each color? Now that I have 2 faces I may take the extra one apart to see what's involved in replacing the lcd, I think pacific coast parts has a listing for the lcd, I saw that pic on your web site the other night, I have a pocket under my radio where I may mount the 3342 face, I haven't decided yet.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5326
The driver would have separate circuits for the two colors most likely, and be located in the brain portion of the module. I don't have any alpine schematics for the 3342 though. Alpine would probably sell them to ya for about $25 though if you contact their support dep't. and know your way around solid state traces.
The mounting is a bit of work since at the time I didn't have the pop-out DIN module for the face.
I had to grab a spare 4WD display unit from a junk yard, then gut it with a dremel to fit the faceplate, then fashion the fascia panel from ABS for it.. but it came out well enough.
That DIN unit is a big help to have.. finally found one on ebay with a dead 3339 I bragged for parts.
I like having my perm mounted as opposed to loose becasue I had some punk smash a window once and all he could get was the face.. which he cut the cord for.
The dumbass then brought it into MY store asking if it was "worth anything."
I was parked out back so he didn't see my car he'd broken into a week earlier on his smash and grab.
I said, "Yeah let me go see. Hang on.."
I then went in back, called the cops, and came back out to inform him it was worth some time in jail.

Username: Ahardb0dy

Sorrento, Florida

Post Number: 3
great story, I noticed tonight that the alpine 3342 is adding noise, if I turn the volume down on my sony headunit and the volume on the alpine to 0 as soon as I raise the 3342's volume 1 click I get noise, I guess I have to try to isolate where it's coming from first ( power, rca's) , when I first hooked it up I tied the power wire into the power lead for the headunit which is running off a fuse tap, as soon as I started the car I had the drilling noise, I moved the power for both the radio ( 12V constant only) and EQ to a line that runs directly off the battery ( which feeds my 2 amps) and that noise went away. This is where I was thinking of putting the 3342's control unit, I just have it wedged in there for now, it looks good there.Upload

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5363
great spot for it. I like that.

try moving it's ground point. that's a common cause for ground loops.

Sorrento, Florida

Post Number: 4
ok, thanks, right now I have the radio and EQ grounds connected together going to the metal support for the center console ( below the radio, behind the pocket where the EQ is),

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5380
make sure it's a chassis ground by testing for continuity.
could try moving the +12 source as well.
its really just a matter of isolating the noise entry like you said

big sexy
Unregistered guest
hey glasswolf you got any of those eq's for sale, I live in toronto and I'm a big sucker for spectrums. e-mail me if you or any members have 3342, 3339, g320, any other alpine spectrum for sale-good condition only, everything working, minor wear and tear( scratches).
thanks, bprash@rogers.com.

Username: Burtgtp1973

Bourbonnais, Il USA

Post Number: 2
my cousin just picked up the 3342 EQ .. but he cannot get the "SUB" light to light up .. his highs are screaming but no sound from the subs yet ... any ideas as to why this is ? no luck finding the manual either .

TIA !

Sorrento, Florida

Post Number: 5
to turn on the sub function, you press and hold the "mode" button until the "sub" indicator lights up, than release the "mode" button, when you go thru the different functions of the mode button, ex. volume, fader, balance, you should see a sub volume. to turn the sub feature off, press and hold the "mode" button until the sub indicator turns off.

Unregistered guest
i have a problem... i have an alpine 3342 but i do not have the owner's manual and i do not know how to instal it. it has 4 cables, one is the remote, other is ground, and one power suply. and the other....

and i do not know what does mean stereo and mono in that unit. definitly i need the ownwers manual

Unregistered guest
I still own and use my 3342, complete with the original owner's manual, box, etc. I will make a pdf of it when I get back from my road trip. If you have any questions or you need a specific answer sooner, just e-mail me and I'll try to answer it.

Unregistered guest
OrgAnubis could you please e-mail me a copy of the owners manual too?

Unregistered guest
Hello~ I'm currently running on Alpine 9835~
and got my self a second hand Alpine 3342EQ~
would it help the sounds go better???
or has 9835 already got better sounds and more powerful function so~ there's no point to put the 3342EQ up together?
I just dont want it to make my sounds go bad :-)
Thanks!!! and if anyone got a user's manual of 3342EQ~ please send one to me as well!!!
Thank you All Very Very Much!!! :D

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9858
keep it simple. if you don't need an EQ, don't use one.

Unregistered guest
How do you change colors on the 3342? I have not used mine in years.

Unregistered guest
just hold down the ILLUMination/DISPlay button, the one that cycles through the different display configuration types, until the color changes (green/amber)

P.S. I have finally scanned the owner's manual for the 3342 and created a PDF, I just need a place to upload the file to, since it is too big too be attached to e-mails or message posts.....

Unregistered guest
Organubis, you can send it to http://www.yousendit.com/. It's like a virtual drive, you upload and then it will give a link to you... it's the link to download..

paste that link here...

or you can send it to my email, and i do all that things.. castrucci@gmail.com

PS: I'm needing it too..

Unregistered guest
Could you please send me a copy of the manual or a link to it please? I bought one off of ebay and would really like to have a copy of the manual.
Thanks.

organubis
Unregistered guest
Here is a link to a website where someone I sent a copy of the manual to was gracious enough to post it:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/howser

Unregistered guest
Could someone please, please tell me the colors of the wires on the power plug for the alpine 3342 eq. I bought it pn Ebay without the plug, I have an old plug that fits perfectly, however it is was originally a speaker level input plug so it;s not exactly color coded for this situation,
I am unable to determine which terminal is 12V, Ground, remote. Any hekp would be greatly appreciated.

GenesisFactor
Unregistered guest
Hey Glasswolf, i just bougt a 3401. Anything special that i should know about it? how is it compared to the 3402?

Username: Cxfuent

Corona, California Usa

Post Number: 1
Is the 3342 like the era-g320??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us