Removed Mach 460. Now need to replace rear speakers

Username: Djha90

Post Number: 1
I completely removed a mach 460 stereo system from my 95 mustang gt convertible. Rear speakers removed were more like a combined subwoofer/speaker module. So, what do I need to mount new rear speakers? Has anyone with a mustang vert done this?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5131
the rears are usually 5x7 if I recall. not a great size.
better off sticking 5.25" back there it you need rear fill at all.
I generally avoid rear fill for SQ systems.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 239
Don't know about the 95's but the 94's had 6x8 rear fill speakers. I agree with glass, just put a nice 10" or a pair of 10" subs in the trunk, and avoid the rear fill. Innvest in the front componets, and a pair of kick panels, you'll be much more satified.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5199
oh yeah, 6x8. that's ford's favorite crappy speaker size.
I get those and the 5x7s mixed up (GM's favorite.)
They both suck though.
go with a round speaker that fits the opening. Much better results, and easy to adapt.

Username: Djha90

Post Number: 2
My car is a convertible. I pulled the rear side "speaker module" out and I dont see anyway to remove either speaker. It looks like the whole enclosure is molded shut. Is there a way to mount some sort of a speaker bracket in the space the module used?

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 241
I've got a mustang, but not the gt I'm sorry to say. Not to familiar with the mach 460 system. A suggestion I might make is to go to sound domain and I'm almost positive I've seen gt's on there. E-mail one of those people to get first hand knowledge of what you need to do. I can tell you the sub side of it though. 10's are max if you plan on running a pair of subs, in a single box. You can't get a 12 in the trunk unless you run them in single enclosures, which isn't that bad. Depends on whether you use your trunk or not.

Another thought is you could try Ebay. I see the 460 system on there constantly for sale. You might try and contact someone on there for help also. You can usually tell by thier name if it's an individual, or a yard.

It also seems as though I have seen the adapter plates on ebay for sale also for the rear deck and the front doors. Although I still agree with Glass I wouldn't use rear fill, and the front doors are not really a good location, and harder than heck to dynamat. If you use 3 ways and don't block the bass on the the door speakers the outside mirrors shake so much they are virtually unusable. Kick panels are readily available for the mustang in a variety of colors and are a much better choice.

Anyway. Have fun with your project, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us