HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Aaronmiiller

Post Number: 9
So i have a 1600 watt max sony mono block amp and two 12" sony p5 subs. The amp is in 2 ohms at 900 watts rms. Look at my stuff at www.cardomain.com/id/blazinahrent So it runs good and i have this system for about 2 years now and nothing has ever EVER EVER went wrong. One day i was messin around with my amp and subs and i wired it up as follows: Both subs + wires are tied together and hooked up to the farthest right + terminal Both - are wired together and hooked to the farthest left -. I did this becuz i didnt know better and wasnt thinking. I play music for a full week for about an hour every day some nights 2 or 3 hours. Never went past volume 12 and never have before. So today im listening to it. I turn it off get back in the vehicle couple minutes later and turn it on as usual. I notice that there is an extreme lack of sound (its hitting about half as hard as it did before i turned it off) I continued to play it for about 30 seconds and the protect light comes on and my subs turn off! Its never done that before EVER!!! It turns back on and i here a large amount of distortion in one of the subwoofers and then here a lil crackling sound and it turns off again. At this point i didnt turn it back on until i got to look at it up close. I SMELL AN EXTREMELY WIERD SMELL FROM ONE SUBWOOFER!!! I look at it and no damage that i can see is done but when u push it in a crackle sound comes out and it gets stuck at the bottom and u have to pull the cone up a bit. I believe it is blown. The amp turns on but will no deliver any sound to the other subwoofer that i plugged up several different ways. I look at the battery post and there is corrosion EVERYWHERES all over the wire and post. PLEASE TELL ME WHATSUP SOMEONE!!!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5049
sounds like you bridged the amp.
probably to a 2 ohm load.
this means the amp sees 1 ohm.
the amp was clipping badly and probably melted the coil of one of your subs.
you fried the sub and probably caused a dead short to the amp which fried the amp.

crappy sony products
didn;t properly fuse the amp
didn't know what you were doing wiring the amp and subs
could be one or any combination of these factors.

Post Number: 10
thats kinda what i figured i did but with it being a mono block amp i dont see how i could put it in 1 ohm? I will gurentee u if i did though thats what fried it all. If my amp is fried cant i take it to american superstores and they will send it back to the factory for like 50 bux and fix it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Also to add another thing i opened up the amp and took a look at it, and everything seems to be in absolutely perfect condition. Every soughter point and connection that i can see is absolutely perfect. No fried spots anywheres that i can see. And i know what im looking for i believe because i work on motherboards for computers.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5074
ok if its a mono amp, it's not bridged.

what are the suc configurations>
two subs?
how many coils, and how many ohms per coil?

you wouldn't always be able to spot the bad part of the board without tracing it.
If you work at component level, you know ESD can damage a part and without a microscope you wouldn't be able to see any damage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Very true glasswolf. The subs are single voice coil 4 ohms therefore it presented it to the amp in 2 ohms but somehow it must have put it into 1 ohm and my amp isnt 1 ohm stable is what im figuring. Can i send it back to xplodsony or take it somewheres and get it fixed cheap or would it cost alot more than just buying a new amp for 140 bux? And the sub i dont guess i can rip it apart and fix it can i? I know for a fact the coil is blown but it sounds different from other blown subs ive heard. Its not as scratchy but u can definately hear it distorting.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5087
oops, I meant "sub" configs.

the amp may have been at 2 ohms and still failed.
Sony amps are notorious for doing that for no really good reason.
you'd honestly be better off getting a non-sony amp as a replacement, and the cost would be about the same to repair or replace I'd guess.
the sub can be rebuilt, but again, it'd cost ya close to the price of a new sub.
check a place like www.circuitshop.com though.
they repair subs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us