Rca cable help

Username: Duaneb

Post Number: 1
I will be wiring my system soon. I need to know if regular rca cables will do (I have plenty of them) or do I need twisted pair cables. I have a mtx 4244 amp (45x4 rms)so I will need 2 pair of rca's. Also, the amp says use 8ga power wire. I will also be using a small 50watt powered sub that calls for 16-14ga wire. If I run 8ga to a distribution block, them 8ga to the amp and 14ga to the sub will the 8ga to the block be ok. I figure I will need a 35-40 amp fuse at the battery.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4941
I highly recommend twisted pair RCA cables, triple shielded if you can find them.
this rejects the majority of noise, and keeps the signal path clean.
knukonceptz.com has twisted pair RCA cables for next to nothing.. good cables.. they're all ya really need.
gold-plated RCA split-center connectors are helpful to avoid oxidation and insure a solid connection, but not a requirement.

Username: Duaneb

Post Number: 2
Thanks, thats what I figured. How about the rest of my question? Am I on the right track?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4964
ehh I'd go with 4ga from the battery to a distro block (fused if you like) and 8ga from block to amp and block to sub.
that leaves room to upgrade, too.

8ga may work but it's really based on both current and distance run, so both play a role in proper wire size.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us