Factory Ford premium amp trouble...

Username: Colinmc

Post Number: 1
Ok i finally decided to put an aftermarket CD player in my 95 Ford Taurus SHO with the premium JBL system. It has a factory amp and sub setup in the trunk. I got a special wiring harness adapter so that I can still use the factory amp and everything, but once i got all the wires hooked up. I didn't get any sound. Then I realized that the wire that turns the amp on or off had no connection with the new harness adapter. So i spliced it in the with the 12v switched power line that goes into the head unit...and now i get sound but a lots of extra static and weird noise. Should I run the line seperately to the fuse box or with the power antenna line? Any recommendations? The system worked fine before with the factory head unit btw, the CD player just started crapping out...I am not quite ready to update the whole system yet because of funds. I am using a Blaupunkt San Jose MP41 head unit for those that care.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4868
connect that amplifier trigger to the "remote" line of the head unit.
not switched igition.
ignition lines often cause noise.

Post Number: 2
Remote line? This may sound stupid, but i'm not sure which one that is. Don't think my reciever has one? Any idea what color it usually is? Sorry for the dumb questions but i'm pretty new at this...I have 3 variations of orange that I am currently not using. One is for the dimmer circuit I know that much...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4895
remote may be called pwr ant as well.
usually blue, or blue with white trace.

Post Number: 3
Done and Done. Ok now I have another problem though. The noise seems better. But once things first warm up it gives me static and strange background noise again...but then after 30 min or so of playing music it just goes away...could this be an amp or speaker problem?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4943
speaker wiring may be grounding out to bare metal some place like a door panel.
could also be a bad ground at the head unit, amplifier, etc..

check both.
basically, sounds like a wiring problem.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4944
btw, failing that, the amplifier could possibly be defective.
that or the CD player.
really hard to say without messing with it or hearing it.

Post Number: 4
Ok thanks a lot for all your help. I'm gonna troubleshoot the wiring tonight and see what i come up with. I'm thinking the amp might be bad, i'm gonna try bypassing the amp and see if i still get the static. Then i'll know for sure whether it's the amp or not...If that doesn't yield better results i'll try slapping an old Sony deck I have in there and see if that does the same thing. Then i'll know if it's the head unit or not. Maybe i'll try doing that in the other order...since swapping recievers is a much easier thing to do. Heh.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4961
process of elimination.
the old tried and true method to finding the problem.
always good to have a cheap spare part for each component of the system on the bench, for sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us