Alpine unit for a small convertible ???

Username: Bobs

Arlington, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I am looking at purchasing an Alpine unit for my small 1992 Toyota Celica convertible. I am replacing the Toyota double din factory unit and may leave in the current speakers. I don't think I will be buying any external amps or subwoofers at the moment, but am open to suggestions. I probably won't be installing it myself and have an upper limit of $500.00 right now.

Any suggestions for a unit that will play mp3's and sound fine without external amps or subwoofers ?

I am a definite newbie, but do remember Alpine as a good brand from many years ago.

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4777
Alpine CDA-9833 or 9835.
use wiring harness adapters and a mounting kit, and it should fit nicely into the factory location.
Those two head units use Alpine's "V-drive" internal amplifier that offers 60w x 4 max, or 27wRMS x 4 RMS. Very clean, pretty loud, active cooling.. great units.
I use the prior year's model of the 9833 in my Jeep.

your next step should be to consider replacing the factory speakers.. fronts first with a good set of separates.
that'll improve teh sound stage tremendously.
after that you can think about adding a sub to fill in the missing low end.
maybe an Infinity Basslink X or similar solution that offers the box, sub, and amp all in one.
cheaper and easier than going with a custom setup.. takes less room, too.

Username: Bobs

Arlington, VA USA

Post Number: 2
Great..thank you GWolf.

BTW I was cleaning out some things today and found a pair of 5 1/4 JBL GT521 speakers and a pair of 6x9 Blaupunkt speakers (those still in the box). Would they be of any use here or should I just start anew.

Thanks again..oh by the way, please pardon my ignorance in all of this this, but by a set of separates do you mean a regular pair of speakers and a seperate set of tweeters ?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4827
the JBLs may be used if they'll fit the application.
I wouldn't bother with the blahpunkts personally. They don't make terrific speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us