Is it necesasry to break in new speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Stoner2oo4

Post Number: 13
I got some 6.5" alpine Rs and a 6.5" type R component set..I was wondering if it was necesary to break in the speakers and if so how would i do this..I know its a dumb@ss question but i had to ask.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2299
Yes it is very necessary. Not a stupid question at all, at least you took the precautions, most people don't. Listen at under half volume for about 20-40 hours and that should be enough to loosen the suspension and burn off excess glue, etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Stoner2oo4

Post Number: 15
thanks for the help Jonathan.. I knew it was necesary to break in subs but I had never heard of ne one breaking in speakers and I just had a hunch that it had to be done.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 30
interesting. 20-40 hours. figuring 4 hours per day driving, thats over a week of under half volume... with some setups, that would have to almost require more self-control than abstinance, huh.

Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 8
i agree, very interesting. many sub manufacturers recommend break-in by pushing the suspension to full stroke for several hours. i wonder what is it about smaller drivers that makes them so much different?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2565
A lot of subwoofer manufacturers recommend less than half power as well. The reason is that excess glue, etc. may still exist on the voice coil, which will have to be burnt off. With the glue in place, there is less thermal handling since the glue will retain more heat, it could possibly damage the voice coils. It doesn't really take full power to break in a driver, half or less should move it enough to loosen the suspension, and also burn off any glue.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2566
I usually use a gradual approach to it, under half volume for about 40 hours (I'm not really an SPL guy anyway, I usually listen at those levels anyway) and then gradually push it closer to full potential.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us