ok. i bought these new pioneer 240w speakers off ebay and they wont play any bass, they just crackle kinda, i dont think the speakers are shot though. when i installed them i had to grind away alot of metal in my old car for them to fit, however when i placed them in for correct fitting i wasnt really thinking about all the metal particals everywhere and they kinda sucked all over my speakers due to the magnets. when i try to create a little movement myself in the speakers it feels like there are metal debrees in the speaker preventing smooth movement. i have tried a few ways to get rid of the metal but i am stumped. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of getting the metal shrappanel out of my speakers or am i just screwed and need to buy some new ones. thanks
You managed to physically get them inside? like in the motor gap where the voice coil moves up and down?
I don't see how you could. A few metal particles on the outside of the magnet is no big deal. I don't see how you could get em on the inside unless you dropped em through the pole piece vent or something.
If they're making a grinding noise when you gently push the cone up and down(system off) it means the suspension is probably shot and the voice coil has become misalligned and is rubbing on the motor.
If thats the case new ones might be in order. I'd make sure they were wired correctly and the amp is ok before I'd buy new ones tho.
I really doubt its the metal shavings that's causing the problem. The subs may have been toast when you bought them.
if your pioneers are coaxials, there is a good chance that the metal shavings went in the gap. many coaxials have an exposed gap, and the magnetic field will pull in any metal particals nearby. sorry, but you're screwed unless you have someone take apart the speaker and clean it.
i once had exactly the same thing happen with a pair of coaxials. same symptoms with the cone scratching against the coil and pole. i thought the shavings would eventually wear away, but after a year, no luck. i tried blasting the gap with canned air, using magnets, nothing worked - the magnetic field in the gap is too strong.