NINE 1.1i's win for SQ!: Class D for highs?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 383
I guess you CAN make a class D amp sound good.

the following from
http://www.carsound.com/NewsFiles/arc4-2004.shtml

Team Xtant competitor Jeff Smith of Atlanta, GA, has taken home two Best of Show awards at two different SLAP competitions so far this year.

On April 18 at a Tallahassee SLAP competition, the second of three competitions he would attend to date, Smith and his black Honda Accord with nine Xtant 1.1i amplifiers, an MTX 1501D amplifier, and two MTX Thunder8154A subs, began his SQ winning streak that would continue until he secured the same title at the next show he attended on May 16th in Charlotte, North Carolina. Both weekends, Smith took home the first place trophy in the Expert Street open category and received the honor of Best of Show for the highest sound quality point total of that category.

Smith is looking forward to upholding his winning record through his next competition, an IASCA regional event, which will take place in two weeks. In anticipation of that competition, Jeff says, "I hope to win my class, but there's also a top 40 sound quality competition where I'd like to come out in the top five."

This competition will be a little bit different than the last two as Smith will be updating his system to include MTX's new 8500 series Superwoofers.

"It feels great to be the Best of Show," states smith, "but my system setup with the Xtant amps and MTX amps and subs has proven to be a real winner for me this year."

Here's a couple pics

http://www.carsound.com/NewsFotos/MAY_04/05_20_04_XTANT.jpg

Whataya think Jonathan? Maybe one of these lil runts would do me up a bit of mono midbass purtty well.

-Fishy

[note] I don't see a box for those subs. Aperiodic Membrane mebbe?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2145
More than likely infinite baffle, but possibly an aperiodic membrane. I'm curious of what he's using the 9 Xtant 1.1s on.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2146
I'm also willing to bet he's using an active or digital crossover on whatever components he's using, and that he's using one amp per component. Easy to get great SQ that way :-).

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 401
Still somethin has to be powerin the tweets. Those lil things must be producing some half decent highs.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2164
Oh, I'm sure they do. From what I've heard they're great. I was just saying the fact that he's probably going active etc., he's getting maximum damping from the amplifier and not straining them hard, so low distortion, yadayadayada. That helps too. But, any more distortion the amp compared to an A/B is well below audible limits anyway, I doubt it's a problem to begin with. Active just helps it out.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 405
Well I think if I'll snag one on ebay if one ever shows up again.

I dunno, I might not be able to handle having 3 of the same brand amps in my vehicle at the same time. It would go against tradition.

-Fishy :P

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2166
Looks like my tradition is about to carry through, my girlfriend initiated the curse today by asking what I wanted for Christmas. I always get that one thing I want(or need) in mind, and a couple weeks before Christmas or my Birthday, my car always has some huge, expensive problem that requires a lot of $$$ to fix. I've gotten car parts for Christmas and my Birthday for about the last 5 years :-). Just this year, I got money for my birthday and about a week after that, my 69 Cougar threw a rod, and I found out it was a casting failure. And lo and behold, I'm in the process of building up my truck and right now I'm driving a 93 Toyota Camry with 250,000 miles on it. God knows what could go wrong with a Japanese car with that many miles...<sigh> If it does I'm going to just forget about fixing it and give it a ceremonial baseball bat treatment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us