Loose transformer core on Xtant 1001dx: Jonathan?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 381
I just got the 1001dx I purchased off ebay and the core on the big square, yellow trasnsformer is loose. Its still connected to the 2 globs of silicone underneath but the actual connection points are so thin(as in string-like) that the silicone stretches a bunch. It can move back an forth from core edge to core edge(a lil over an 1/8th").

Here's a pic

http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/8e/97/31_1.JPG

Since the same amount of material remains in the core even when its sliding I wouldn't think the inductance of the coils would change much. Was just wondering if this was "normal" with this type of transformer and whether I should try and fix it or not.

thanks

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2141
They usually don't have play in them(at least not that much), perhaps the user had the amp mounted to the sub box, vibrating the parts. Hard to see from the picture. I doubt the performance will change, but you may want to do something to strengthen it a bit. Either that, or wait and take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, at least you'll know where to look. I haven't really cracked Xtant amps, but any part of a circuit board shouldn't really have a lot of play in it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2147
Ok, found a site w/ a guy with the same problem from that amp.
http://www.usenews.org/group/rec.audio.car/message-136073.html
Maybe too much gap where the bottom core drops through, but anyway. 1/8 just sounds a little high, but move it gently and see if it pulls on the solder connections at all. If it does, try strengthening the connection via more silicone in the gap.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 399
Its not soldered to anything. Its just a metal core that gives the coils greater inductance. I don't think it needs to be connected to anything. Haven't you seen those heavy duty low frequency coils used for passive low pass filters?

I remember(more remniscing :P) the guy that started JL Audio had a shop(Speaker Warehouse) that was on my way to work and back. I dropped by one day and got introduced to PPI and JL Audio. Well anyways back then they had a 100 watt class in competition and since this power was at 4 ohms people started developing cheater amps. When PPI came out with the pro MOS-2050(50 x 2 @ 4 ohms) it was the smallest cheater amp available so the owner(can't for the life of me remember his name) decked out his Mustang with one MOS-2050 and a big passive crossover network and proceded to kickorz in competition with it(the next pro MOS they got in was mine for a mere $880). The lowpass coil on this thing was about 2 feet long and weighed a ton cus it had a huge hunk of steel runnin through the middle which increased the inductance of the coil.

I think thats all this core is doing. Haven't had a chance to power that 1001dx up yet. My truck's gettin its roof painted right now and I don't have a decent power supply. I'm pretty sure it'll work tho.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 400
Oh and sorry about the pic. Thats not my amp. Just another 1001dx on Ebay. Wanted you to see which transformer I was talkin about.

thanks

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2162
OH, I thought you were talking about the entire transformer unit itself moving on the circuit board, not the core inside of it. Sorry. The core should be in there pretty solid, maybe you should make those connection points not so string-like :-)

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 406
Lol.

Silicone is sooooo messy.

-Fishy :P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us