Hooking up 1 Ohm stable amp

Danny B777
Unregistered guest
Alright, check out. I have two 15 inch Eclipse Subs. They are 1000 max and 500 watt RMS. They are dual voice coil. Now I was told that they can be hooked up to a 1 ohm load. Will this make it louder? And if I hook it up as 1 ohm, how many watts am I looking for in the amp. 1, 2, or 4 channel? And how do I hook it up? What's the best way to hook them up?

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 103
basically lower the ohms usually ups the rms power output of an amp, if you want to run at 1ohm then you'll need to look for a 1 ohm stable amp. hifonics, jbl, kicker, directed are all amps that I know of off the top of my head that can run at 1 ohm, as far as how many channels I only know of mono *1 channel* amps that run at that impedence, but I could be wrong, maybe someone else knows for certain

Danny B
Unregistered guest
So I can get a 2ohm or 4 ohm amp that will do just as good, as long as the RMS matches up?

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 104
yes, subs don't have to run at a certain ohm, their power rating doesn't change based on ohms

Danny B
Unregistered guest
Ok, Kool. Thanks a Million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Danny_b777

Bradenton, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
Another Question. Do I have to have a 2 ohm stable amp to get the most out of dual voice coil subs?

Bradenton, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
Also, how do you hook two DVC speakers up for a Two ohm load. And do they have to be DVC to hook them up at 2 ohms?

Bradenton, Florida USA

Post Number: 4
I have another question. What wattage would you recomend for my 15's. And 4 ohms or 2. And again how would you hook them up?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1829
You need a one ohm stable monoblock amplifier. A JBL 1200.1 would work well in your case. It would provide 600W RMS to each sub, and those Eclipse subs are underrated, they can take more than 500W RMS w/o problems in my experience. You wire the voice coils in parallel, basically, the positive of one coil to the positive of the other, and the negative of one coil to the negative of the other.

Bradenton, Florida USA

Post Number: 5
Thank You. You mean the positive of one to the other positive on the same speaker? Or the positive of one to the positive of one on the other speaker. Or do you mean, the positive of one speaker to the positive on the amp and cross them, and have the negative hooked up to the positive thats not running to the amp, on each speaker? Hope you understood that. And with a momo amp won't there only be one channel? Thanks

Bradenton, Florida USA

Post Number: 6
And do you know where I can find one of those amps at a good price. Also are there any lease expensive amps that will do the same thing?

RERT
Unregistered guest
Yes mono is one channel.
1. You can find cheaper amps, but they wont be stable @ 1ohm. At your price range you should go with a JBL 1200.1 or Kicker KX 1200.1. (around 500-700) on ebay, but watch out for refurbished.
2. With two 15s, you're gonna need A LOT of power, cause every time the bass hits, your battery will be drained (that could become an issue). I'm running one 15 with the kx 1200.1 powered by a second battery (yellow top)...I recommend you get one too. Eventually, you're also gonna need a new alternator. (get an isolator along with a second battery)
3. Power wire should be 2 gauge and nothing less. With appropriate power and proper wiring, those things are gonna break windows!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 79
500 to 700 bucks, SUCKERS, you could buy an spl 3000d amp that does 2300rms @1ohm for less than that.....

RERT
Unregistered guest
Lol. A TRUE 2000+ watt rms amp stable @ 1ohm can reach up to $2000 or more. You must be a dumb*ss if you wanna get that spl 3000d (power acoustik crap). JBL and Kicker amps are underated...don't go for those fake high rms amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us