Building a box

Bronze Member
Username: Nysteelers

Post Number: 55
where can i find blueprints for building a sealed box for subwoofers.. specifically for 2 12' kicker L7s

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 125
first you have to know what size box they take. After that it's fairly simple math. like 14"x14"x9" is just a hair over a 1.5 cu.ft. box. cut, glue, screw, and caulk, and cover. or you can look on crutchfield, or go to google and search subwoofer enclosure design. There are a bl00dy million sites out there. Also read earlier posts, sean and I have both posted sites.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/index.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
so would the box need to be 1.5 cu ft or 2 cu ft cuz theres 2 subs.. please bear with my stupid questions lol..and does the actual shape make a difference.. like a square vs a rectangle, or a long rectangle vs a short one

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
so would the box need to be 1.5 cu ft or 3 cu ft cuz theres 2 subs.. please bear with my stupid questions lol..and does the actual shape make a difference.. like a square vs a rectangle, or a long rectangle vs a short one

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Mike, the box would be 3. cu's, If and again I stress the IF you subs call for a min. 1.5 cu. box. Get in touch with kicker tech and find out or pm sean he's a lot better at this than I am. He's who I talk to. That's all he does for the last 1000 yrs. A lot depends on the type of car. What you are actually after. SQ or SPL. A good mix of both is a ported which isn't any harder than a sealed. Just a little more math. The best thing imo you could do is try and listen to the different boxes with a comparative sub in them, then make up your mind. You may want to have the box made for you. besst buy==circuit city, and a load of others make boxes, and then there is the old reliable buy a premade one from one of the above. Not near the satisfaction of building it yourself. But there is more to this than meets the eye. You have to take bracing into consideration, cause you are gonna stress the $hit out of it. Do alot of reading, and talk to people whom make them before you try it. It IS NOT just CUT---screw---glue----cover. But then again it is, after you take everything into consideration. Have fun and let me know how it goes. Don't forget check with tech on proper box size.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1701
The PDF file for the Kicker solos will include box information if I remember correctly. Go to their website and download that. It'll give you a bunch of box ideas. Figure out what cubic foot you want it to be, the formula is Length x Width x Height/1728. You can plug any length, width, and height you want in there as long as it meets the size requirements, and the height has to be tall enough to fit the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 589
im no expert (thanks koz) but i do my research jon and glass are the guys with the most experience ....ill help anyone where i can

peace

Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 10
glass?, glasswolf?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 594
yes

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 18
i used to talk with him on here a long time ago, this is the first time i've been back since a year or so. does hydro still post on here?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
ok thanx... on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the easiest, 10 being the hardest)how hard do you think it would be to build a plain sealed box..nothing flashey

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
depends on how handy you are. and what type of woodworker/carpenter you are. If you have a decent table saw, clamps, jigsaw, the box (nothing flashy( I would say is maybe a 3. I have more of a problem putting the carpeting on and making it took right, than building the box. But I would imagine that comes with experience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
one more question...for 12" L7 solobarics when you mount the sub onto the front, how much extra space do you need. Because i know you probably need more than 12 inches high. and 24 across. i estimated 14 inches high and 28 across, is this right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us