Amp goes into protect mode when volume increases

Username: Spmook

Post Number: 2
I have the factory stereo hooked up to a line out converter through the rear speakers...the system was working fine two days ago til I tried to adjust the xover on the amp. Now whenever I attempt to turn the volume up the amp goes into protect mode. I checked all the wiring and grounds and everything is fine. I even went out and got a new line out converter but it still does the same thing. I thought it may be the amp but I then tried to hook up my old amp and I still was getting no sound from my sub. Even when I adjust the signal on the line out converter I have to turn it all the way down to have the amp from not going into protect mode. Someone have any clues help me please!!!!!
Here is the system in my Nissan Xterra 2001
6 disc in dash factory reciever
6.5 x2 Audiobahn component speakers
6x9 x2 Blaupunkt rear speakers
6 tweeters
600w Jensen mono channel Amp
10" Xplode bandpass sub
1.2 farad cap
1 inovatek line out converter

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 89
If you have a multimeter you might wanna check the resistance on that sub.

-Fishy

Post Number: 3
HOw do I do that?
And what does that do?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 123
your sub might be damaged so take it out of the box and check it. Fishy was right about the multimeter but most people dont know how to use them. You can use a 9 volt battery and let it touch againts the terminals. if the speaker is good it will make a popping sound and the woofer will move either in or our out. I believe when you adjusted the crossover you might have sent some tones to the sub that it couldnt handle.

Username: Greemcock

Post Number: 4
stick a piece of metal thrue your skin and connect your ground wire to that metal so it will shock the shhhittttt out of you....

Post Number: 4
Thanks I found the problem and most of you guys were right with the exception of joe green mama who's tactics were very unorthodox...I found out it was my sub the post on the sub broke off and would short out my amp...so thanks guys for your help

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 100
Yeah that battery trick(I use a 1.5 volt tho) is great for checking polarity(like with factory speaker harnesses) on your speakers as well. If you've hooked positive to positive the speaker will move out, positive to negative it'll move in.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us