Speakers crackle

Username: Idocdan

Post Number: 1
Updating an '83 VW rabbit convertible. Installed new panasonic cd/mp3 H/U, new front alpine 4x6, infinity 3.5" rears (but the rears are about 1 yr old now). Problem:
When using receiver, sound is great even with hi volume and bass, in CD play, all speakers crackle very annoyingly, but by fading to front only, no crackle even at he vol and bass.
Thanks!

Post Number: 2
I forgot to mention swapping out a new H/U with no change in the output crackle.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 667
try using a high-pass filter on the speakers, and adding a sub to handle low frequencies.
that should help.

Post Number: 3
Can hi-pass filter be placed on only the rears? The alpines seem adequate for bass.
Thanks for your reply.

Post Number: 685
sure. they're called "bass blockers" usually.
there are RCA or line-level ones that plug into the amplifier, or if these are run from the head unit, they make high-level ones that wire right into the speaker wires just before each speaker.
they aren't very expensive. should be less than $20 US

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 3
Glasswolf is he running any amps at all? I don't see any mention of it. I presume he's running from the unit then?

Can the crackle be caused by a scratched CD?

Post Number: 4
Thanks, both, for the input. Not running amps, output just from the H/U. Have tried various CDs all with the same result. Can you tell me why we're haveing this porblem? Is it just the bass that's the problem. Why only with CD player? Not using expensive H/U, but thought Panasonic reliable. Is it just the cheap unit?

Post Number: 705
panasonic isn't very reliable at all, but that aside, that's not the problem I don't think.
CDs have greater dynamic range as well as a wider (and lower) frequency response.
they also tend to have a higher average signal level than radio, so they sound louder when you go from radio to CD at the same volume level on the head unit.
this would be one cause for the speakers to bottom out or the head unit to clip when you have the bass turned up on the head unit playing a CD.
the speakers just need a clean power source, and a high-pass filter

Post Number: 5
Thanks, GlassWolf, I really appreciate your time and advice.
Dan

Post Number: 6
Just an update-Discovered the grounds to the rears were common. After running separate grounds, my problem was solved.

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 13
I found out soldering the grounds rather than just screwing it on makes a difference. Oh and cables too.

Post Number: 7
thanks. soundbite.
Dan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us