Glasswolfs help needed

Anonymous

I was wondering, where are the optimum places to hook up the +12V, constant power, and ground for a HU in my car.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 645
use a wiring harness and you can just plug the radio right in.

the only exception to that I can think of is the Alpine units with Vdrive.
those need a 10AWG line run to the battery's positive terminal.

Anonymous

well i have a 2002 sable and the power wires are all in a unit in the trunk and i was trying to avoid hooking anything to it.

Post Number: 654
ehh no.. the harness is right behind the factory radio in the dash of the car.
take out the factory radio, put in the new one with the adapter harnesses, and a mounting kit.
all done.

Anonymous

I tried hooking the power and constant wires to the wiring harness behind the factory unit, but nothing worked. i talked to an installer at the good guys and he showed me the unit in the trunk that powered the unit in the dash. as you said, hooking all the wires to the unit in the dash should work, i mean, the unit still is going to have to get power. so i completely avoided the wires in either of the units all together, and i have the +12v connected to the ignition fuse, and the constant to a horn fuse, the HU wont turn off when i turn the car off, and i have to take the face off to shut it down. im going to have to fix it before i get a better HU w/out a removable face so it shuts off with the car like its supposed to. thats why i asked where the optimum places were to hook those wires up at.

Post Number: 662
oh. now I see what you're saying.
you have a factory amplifier for that ford premium system.
you just need an adapter that lets you connect to the factory amp.
that or replace all of the speakers in the car as well.

Anonymous

yeah thats what i did, i replaced all the speakers and have seperated amps for them and the sub. i just need to find a better place to hook the power wires to so the headunit turn off when i turn the car off.

Post Number: 670
well, the factory wiring behind the radio should still supply +12 constant (memory), switched +12, illumination, and ground.
here are your Sable color codes for the factory wiring behind the radio:
Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black/Light Green
Illumination Light Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Left Rear
Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors
Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green
Left Front (-) Light Blue/White
Right Front (+) White/Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green/Orange
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue
Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow
Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

If you need to wire the amplifiers, you'll need an amp wiring kit, and the +12 goes to the battery, ground goes to bare chassis metal within 24" of the amp, and the remote trigger goes to the new head unit's remote or power antenna lead.
RCAs go to the pre-outs of the ehad unit.

Anonymous

hey thanks man. i really appreciate the help. now should i hook the switched +12V to the ignition? and where should the constant +12v be connected to?

Post Number: 703
Constant 12V+ (Memory) Green/Yellow

Switched 12V+ (Ignition) Yellow/Black

Anonymous

Glasswolf i appreciate all your help but we have a communication problem...lol. let me explain. I have the HU working GREAT!! However, I have the Constant hooked up to the horn fuse due to the constant 12V and then the Switched is hooked up to the ignition fuse so that the 12V is on only when the car is on. I cannot use the factory amp and wiring because it doesn't work...seriously. It is in the trunk and it is not working with the headunit. Now the point of this entire thread is that I need to know if you know a better way to hook it up BESIDES the wiring harness because even when I turn the car off the HU continues to play. I have to remove the face plate to turn it off otherwise it would drain the battery. I wanted to know if there is a better way to hook it all up so I won't have to remove the face to shut it off.

Post Number: 715
apparently the head unit isn't running so great if it's doing that.
take it to an audio shop with a good installer, and let him figure it out.

Anonymous

thanks a lot, buddy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us