BetterCables Silver Serpent Cables Review

Brian Mitchell
This review has been moved to the link below:
https://www.ecoustics.com/reviews/bettercables-silver-serpent-cables/

The archived discussion thread remains below.

Ken Donaldson
I'd like to say that I agree with you on the notion that high quality cables DO indeed improve audio and video performance, however while perusing the reviews on audioreview.com, I stumbled across A/V cables which performed just as well, if not better than my Silver serpent, at a much lower price. These would be Avic cables, over at: http://www.holomaxx.com/avic

Their 3 foot (about 1M) component video cable is only $60, which is much cheaper than my 1M silver serpent was ($100). I got a 6 foot component video cable and a 3 foot digital audio cable for $110 total last week, plus they had free shipping. To me, this was an unbeatable deal, and the guy who runs the site was honest and helpful. I'd highly recommend Avic cables to anyone considering high-end a/v cables. Maybe ecoustics.com can do a comparison review of Avic and Bettercables.

Ken

Ken,
Many customers are not just looking for the lowest price. If they are, they should go to ebay and do a search on CANARE to find cable just like the holomaxx cables-only cheaper. Also, I have doubts about your "evaluation" as I don't see your name in our customer list. Unlike the off-the shelf copper cables, our Silver Serpents have a higher-performing silver conductors.

Ken Donaldson
Customers love options, I know I do. You probably wouldn't see my name in your customer list since I got the silver serpent from the newsgroups. I know about Canare cables, and that Bettercables also uses them, or at least used to, except that they are covered in shrinkwrap to hide that fact.

I'd still like to see how much better your cables are in a side-by-side comparsion. I have doubts that your current line of bettercables will outperform any Avic cable from Holomaxx.

Ken

Anonymous
The Monster Home Theater Kit 100 has just as good a cables and is $60.00 at Walmart.

How much better (in technical terms) are the AVIC cables over something like the Acoustic Research Master series cables? I'm particularly interested in finding the best (performance and cost-effective) audio cable for my Sony S9000ES SACD player. Are there any other audio-phile grade audio cables in the AVIC's price range, or are the AVIC's pretty much the best ones out there in their price range? Thanks in advance for your input.

Anonymous
Unlike the off-the shelf copper cables, our Silver Serpents have a higher-performing silver conductors.

I thought Bettercables were copper cables with silver coating not solid silver like some of the other online cables makers use.

Ken Donaldson
Ahram--
For my money, Avic is the best deal. According to the specs listed on the Holomaxx site, Avic cables are superior to AR Master Series. Speaking from my own experiences with Avic cables, I have absolutely no complaints about quality or performance.

Anonymous--
Quoted from the Bettercables website:

"The cable features Solid 99.999% pure Silver coated copper center conductors..."

So yes, the BC are just silver coated copper conductors, not full silver conductors. I have no idea whether that silver coating makes the cables technically better or not, but something tells me it's 99.999% gimmick.

Ken

doctorbeaker
Ken,

The silver coating on a copper cable is intended to slow down the oxidation rate of the copper. In a new cable, you would expect to see similar performance during a comparison between copper only versus silver coated copper conducters. With age, the silver coated copper conducter should out-perform the the copper only...

Efrem Hardy
Most coaxial cables have their dielectric bonded to the conductor in such a way that air and moisture cannot reach it. I highly doubt that your will see any noticeable improvement with silver coated conductors over time because the chance for oxidation to occur in both cases is minimal to none.

Silver coating is just an excuse to charge more for cables that are already WAY overpriced. Bettercables are just canare or belden cable covered in techflex and cheesy shrinkwrap. You can get the stuff and make your own for a fraction of the cost, do some research on google.

Marc Sherman
Since Holomaxx reviews result in a discount to the reviewer, there is a monetary incentive to the reviewer to write a good review about any Holomaxx and certainly Avic cable. Any opinions regarding Holomaxx cables therefore have a potential built in bias. I bought them anyway and am comparing to other cables as we speak. I am not yet finished but I wanted any potential purchaser to understand this potential review bias.

Efrem Hardy
I saw something on the Holomaxx site about getting a discount for writing a review...but it did not specify that it had to be a GOOD review.

I agree with you about the bias, but not because of the discount. Anybody who spends $50-$200 on cables will naturally be biased to believe they got the best product because nobody wants to think they got ripped. It is a moot point that Holomaxx gives customers a discount for writing reviews -- a lot of companies do things like this.

I've been making my own cables for a while now, but I would not mind buying premade cables since I will be outfitting a completely new installation soon. What cables are you comparing and where are you going to post your results?

Joey Finkelstine
So, You all have your opinions I see. Well, . . . how does monster stack up . And, has anyone ever used RAM Electronics? They say their cable are just as good (ofcourse they do) www.ramelectronics.net

I'm ready to buy some cables and as an engineer, can anyone on this board tell that they can see the difference with their eye between different cable manufactures. NO, you can't. Copper wire is copper wire. This is assuming that the test samples all have tight connections. Belden has been around for many years. Monster and other high priced ones are all hype

Gavin
Silver Coating on a cable provides two purposes. Silver is a better conductor and since the majority of the signal travels on the outside of the cable (think back to high school physics) putting the best possible conductor on the outside of the wire makes sense. The more practical reason for silver is that the US military began using Teflon as an insulator on their cables because it was lighter and more flexible than rubber shielding. Teflon corrodes copper... the US military knew this, and hence started requiring silver coatings. Companies were making this stuff anyway so why not sell it to Joe public.

Having said all this, the lack of published empirical testing is making my s-video decision the most difficult purchase decision I've had in a while.

I agree with you Gavin. I am perplexed as to whether or not I need to fork out over $300 in new cabling.

Is it worth the investment?
Do I gain as much in Video quality for half the price of my new Denon DVD-2900?

These are question that I have been researching as well and there is nothing but opinions and we all know what they say about opinions.

If anyone knows of a good site with real legitimate reviews of cables and how they tested please post for the rest of us.

Thanks

tom
Unregistered guest
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/

They have PURE SILVER cables for a very good price

I havn't tested their cables, but I think they have reviews on their site

Interconnects as well as a power cord they purchase

tom :-))
Unregistered guest
WOW !
Just one thing

Check their site NOW

http://www.rhinocables.net/rhino_products.htm

These are high-end cables, they use Teflon insulation and high quality connecors and Belden cable

BetterCables simply can't compete with Rhino Cables

Just check their site
http://www.rhinocables.net/rhino_products.htm

Yes, yes, yes!!! sorry ;-)

tom :-)))
Unregistered guest
DAMN

Not better than RhinoCables but definetly cheaper!! => Blue Jeans Cable

=> http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

They have 30-day-money-back guarantee

from their site:

'We hand-cut and terminate each of these cables ourselves, using Canare tooling, so we know they're done right and tested before they go out. We think you'll be impressed with their performance; but we also offer a complete, unconditional return privilege. If for any reason--or for no reason--you're not completely, utterly satisfied, just return the cables within 30 days and we'll refund your purchase price in full.'

source:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Damn!!

tom
Unregistered guest
Abot the silver plating

Belden usus NO silver plating in their 1695a cable, that uses Teflon dielectric
So the copper will corode?? ahah!

Think it is bullshit about the chemical reaction between copper en teflon, because teflon is good chemicly stabile

If I'm not right, than prove it!!!

MJS
Unregistered guest
See http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm

for a great review about speaker wire by Roger Russell - a former Director of Acoustic Research
at McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.

Anonymous

What are u bunch of sales guys doing here?
Hard selling your product huh?
If u all really want to know what u are selling before openning ur big mouths. Go do some research. Read some technical data about transimmion line theory, be an engineer. All those craps about Gold/Silver plated improves performance...laughable...

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/heart.html

Username: Homedesign

Post Number: 25
The silver coating allows the low voltage IC energy to pass faster than the main body copper. That alone disqualifies them as best way to get signals from one component to another.

If two companys use the same copper, insulate, and terminate with the same build quality, how can you say one company is 'Better' than another?

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 26
ha ha...well I am shopping for some Component Video cables and as I read this I see many here are as perplexed as me.

I want excellent quality but not paying for something I'm not getting. My local dealer who deals in high end audio tried to turn me on to Transparent Cables. I actually bought a good Transparent Coax for audio from him because I do know him and trust his opinion but the Component Video version was $370 for a 1 meter cable! I need 1M and 3M so I can't swing that with the misses so I'm shopping for the best bang for my buck. I can swing a couple hundered $$ but want to assure I'm getting what I pay for.

Thanks for making it all clear as mud now...j/k :0)

Bronze Member
Username: Homedesign

Post Number: 48
The disinformation about cables is perpetuated by magaznine reviewers who's salaries are funded by advertisers, and those who believe them. If you read the multiple pages in the mfgr catalogs of persuasive elaboration of the technology involved in producinng cables that sell for hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, you will no doubt be affected.

However, if you consider that perhaps even the manufacturers believe the differences discerned from various techniques used to affect how a cable sounds, and that it is of some value, then perhaps you will use your own good sense instead of substituting theirs for you own.

The point being, any way a cable 'sounds' (at all) is nothing more than distortion. The ideal cable will be transparent and not have a discernable sound at all. So what can be said about such a cable to persuade others to use it in their system? Nothing. It has no sound. So what is to sell. It's silence? Kind of like selling air, isn't it.

One of best speaker designers in the world gets cable for his $28k Stereophile speaker of year at Radio Shack. He says it is important that connectors be good quality to fit well, perferabley gold plated, and be shielded. But rather than to affect the sound of the system, to not allow interferece to distort the signal passing though it.

He uses their 16g MegaCable with double bananna plugs (the kind you insert the wire and tighten the screw). He tested the cable for his VERY high-end speaker designs and found that it is good for up to 12 feet. Their 12g will work effectivly up to 30 feet before any significant degradation occurs. And it is less crucial at the lower frequencies.

The 12g cable sells for $1 per foot. The ICs sell for less than $50 for a 6ft pair. BTW they also make Video cables. But notice, its the same wire, and connectors. For Component Video their are just (3) cables: color coded for video.

Hmmm. What about all those hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of cables? Well, if you want to give up your money so easily, and merely on their say-so, can you blame them for taking it.

What bothers me more than them, are those who 'feel' their system is superior because they spent so much $ and make great efforts to persuade their fellows to likewise share in their 'illusion'.

Once you know though, it sounds pathetic to hear them rave about all the poetic qualities they get from the wire that connects two components together.

Did you ever notice how they all tend to use the same terms and pharases. I noticed after reading the magazine reviewer 'connoisseurs of coloration' articles that after a while their expressions of the alleged sonic characteristics tend to all sound the same. Hmmmm. They do get paid by the word.

HiFiNut
Unregistered guest
Cobalt Cable seems to be good too plus they are against bi-wiring:

http://www.cobaltcable.com/which/speaker_connections.htm

Here's a link that compared Bettercables with TMC and Outlaw Audio.

http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_7-cables.html

Super Cable
Unregistered guest
Bettercables is a great example of cables with tons of paid "rave reviews". It's funny because bettercables are still the same belden/canare cables everybody else is selling, they just spend a lot more on advertising...and of course, they pay off editors and even webmasters.

Then again, who gives a crap. If you want to spend a lot on cables and YOU think it makes a difference, then by all means, spend away! I won't pay $200 for a video cable, but somebody will. Last I checked, this is america, we're all about making money.

Cables DO make a difference, that is easy to observe with computers...for example, network cables can affect the performance of the network drastically. Same with home theater. It's not as simple as these "cheap cables are just as good" morons want you to believe.

Try yourself and decide yourself.

Anonymous

Agreed I haven't seen an objective review yet for Bettercables products. IN fact, they are mostly reviewed by websites that either sell their products (IE Hometheaterspot) or plaster banner ads all over the website. Why can't we find some objective reports on cables just like we do with cars or toothpaste?

CableReptile
Unregistered guest
Here are some interesting claims from cable manufacturers. All have a unique way of making their cables sonically superior to others. Anyone use their cables?:

Alpha Core claims that their flat Goertz MI Speaker Cable has the lowest inductance in the business and therefore is better than conventional cables.
http://www.analysis-plus.com/Pages/report981.htm
http://www.analysis-plus.com/Pages/sound20k.htm

SlinkyLinks' ultra-fine silver, air-dielectric, near zero metal content, and point-contact terminations make for the ultimate audio conductor, so they claim:
http://www.slinkylinks.net/index_flash.html

----------------------------------------
Here are an old review from Secrets... about Bettercables. I think HometheaterHiFi.com is objective enough to trust their reviews since I don't see advertisements on their site:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/quick-take-better-cables-silver-serpen t-speaker-cable-9-2002.html

I have not seen reviews from their new Premium and Blue Truth cables.

Anonymous

Quote ------------------------
"If u all really want to know what u are selling before openning ur big mouths. Go do some research. Read some technical data about transimmion line theory, be an engineer. All those craps about Gold/Silver plated improves performance...laughable... "
Quote --------------------

I get the impression that you are trying to present this "transmission line THEORY" as some sort of fact or evidence. Theory = guess, not fact.

Gold plating is primarily there to prevent oxidation buildup or tarnish. It does not improve performance, it maintains performance. Silver is debateable. In my experience, a good copper cable is always better than a silver one (and usually less expensive).

This thread looks like a free for all for the people who sell cables. I see a link to just about every cable shop I can think of here. Take your pick. :-)

Unregistered guest
Wow! This thread has provided me with the best info thus far...thanks! I was ready to shell out major $$$ for the "better and higher quality" brands, but I think I may just pay my local Radio Shack a visit now.

Thanks again guys!

Unregistered guest
The myth about cables is getting around! Some might find this a good read:

http://www.blacksandcable.com/news.htm

Unregistered guest
..........and yes we sell cables but seeing as how almost every other cable site has jumped on this thread we figured, what the hell! :-)

Unregistered guest
HEY ALL, IM SORRY BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN AUDIO CABLES BELEIVE ME.I BOUGHT A ACOUSTIC RESEARCH OPTICAL CABLE FOR MY HOME THEATRE IT SOUNDED REALLY GOOD.BUT I HEARD ALL THESE RAVES ABOUT MONSTER BRAND CABLES.SO I WENT OUT AND GOT A MONSTER CABLE OPTICAL CABLE.IT WAS THE STANDARD THX MODEL.COMPLETE CRAP COMPARED TO THE AR CABLE.THE MONSTER WAS WAY TOO QUIET AND SOFT SOUNDING.I HAD TO REALLY TURN IT UPON MY RECIEVER TO GET ANY VOLUME.THE AR COUBLE WAS LOUD AND CLEAR BUT NOT CRISP AND CLEAR.SO THERE IS DEFINATLEY A DIFFERENCE.SO NOW I MIGHT TRY ONE OF THOSE SILVER SERPENTS JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO.HELL YOU GET A 30 DAY MONEY BACK IF NOT SATISFIED.

Gene
Unregistered guest
A lot of mis-information on this thread.
Gold does protect from tarnish, but it is only also is a better conductor than silver which is a better conductor than copper. Rhodium is a better conductor than gold. Obviously the better conductor is way more expensive.

Silver plated copper is not used to prevent tarnish, it is a lower cost solution to pure silver cables, as electricity travels along the outside of the conductor, (skin effect).

I do not sell cables, and am not a cable expert. I have purchased silver plated solid core copper cables an am quite pleased with the value. I have only bought speaker cables that cost over $1000, all others are $200 - $700.

Unregistered guest
Armand Montalvo,
Thanks for trying our cables!!!!!! If anyone wants to read some of the facts we have found during our travels, please read our Myth's page. We try and take some of the mystery out of cables. We also have links in the Resource section that are not our words but come from unique third parties.

BlackSandCables.com

Username: Rahul

Post Number: 3
Any one tried Zu Ash digital coax cable? I am planning to buy one....any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
How much are they?

JustTheFacts
Unregistered guest
All i gotta say is this. YES, cables do make a difference. All cables have different electrical characteristics, and will therefore act as a passive filter in some way or another. Simple physics and electrical engineering that is almost impossible to calculate in real world sound terms. If you like the way a "cable" makes your speakers sound. GREAT. But to the dude who said two different toslink cables sounded different...Get a your hearing checked. Digital is digital. Ones and zeros don't change. There are no analog attributes passed in a optical cable. NONE! Broken cables excluded of course...

Username: Hobbitfeet

Post Number: 6
Gene,

Considering that you are complaining about misinformation, you sure don't provide any clearer facts.
Copper is a worse conductor than silver, but both are slightly better than gold (see http://www.blacksandcable.com/news.htm#conductivity). I have no idea about rhodium, but the value of metals is related to their scarcity and difficulty in refining, not to do with their conductivity.

Skin effect is bunk. Just look at the comments from engineers and physicists, not the marketing hype.

Anonymous

Now I have to jump on this...

Quote from JMORRISON, "HEY ALL, IM SORRY BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN AUDIO CABLES BELEIVE ME.I BOUGHT A ACOUSTIC RESEARCH OPTICAL CABLE FOR MY HOME THEATRE IT SOUNDED REALLY GOOD.BUT I HEARD ALL THESE RAVES ABOUT MONSTER BRAND CABLES.SO I WENT OUT AND GOT A MONSTER CABLE OPTICAL CABLE.IT WAS THE STANDARD THX MODEL.COMPLETE CRAP COMPARED TO THE AR CABLE.THE MONSTER WAS WAY TOO QUIET AND SOFT SOUNDING.I HAD TO REALLY TURN IT UPON MY RECIEVER TO GET ANY VOLUME.THE AR COUBLE WAS LOUD AND CLEAR BUT NOT CRISP AND CLEAR.SO THERE IS DEFINATLEY A DIFFERENCE.SO NOW I MIGHT TRY ONE OF THOSE SILVER SERPENTS JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO.HELL YOU GET A 30 DAY MONEY BACK IF NOT SATISFIED."

Ok, I just want to let you know the reason for optical cables in the first place. It optical, meaning it uses light for the signal, not metal wire. As a result, there are no EM fields generated by the cable, or the signal going through the cable. It is also immune from external EM fields and RF, basically everything that could ever potentially affect the signal. Optical cables are designed from the standpoint that either the signal will make it down the wire, or it won't. There is no measurable signal loss or way to introduce interference into the signal. The only things that higher quality optical cables will get you are better terminators for more secured connection, a little added flexibility in terms of bend radius of the cable (before physically breaking the signal path), and better looks.

Computing and telecommunication centers have been using optical cables for a long time now (an optical cable is basically fiber-optic technology). The main difference instead of sending network, or computing data across the line, the Toslink sends audio data in a proper format across the line. The reason why computing and telecommunication industries are using the optical cables are for the reasons I have stated above, they are not affected by just about every kind of known interference! Thus, no signal loss, no added distortion, the signal is sent clean in this medium.

The reason the "cable" industry still charges mega-$$$$ for optical cables is to keep it on par with their other cable costs. The average customer who knows next to nothing about transmittion of signals, physics of signal travel, etc., will simply see that one cable is much cheaper then the rest in that brand and question why it is cheaper and believe that it might be cheaper because it is of lower quality. The sad truth is that it would be cheaper and better quality then just about all other cable types (bearing in mind that the Toshlink cable sends a digital signal and thus needs DAC's to get it back to analog before current generation speakers can use the signal). It has long been know and proven in telecom industries that more clean data can be sent on an optical cable over farther distances with no signal loss. This is just the very nature of this technology as compaired to traditional copper or silver cables. There is no electro-magnetic effect within the optical cables as it does not use electrically conductive materials, and is thus immune to the interference generated by other external electrical and magnetic devices and the interferences that are produced by them.

anonymous III
Unregistered guest
Just finished reading all traffic from 2002 up to the current post. I am by no means an expert or even close for that matter, but I agree with anonymous regarding optical cable. Is there anyway to connect fiber optics from a receiver to speakers and achieve the desired end result?

Demuxer
Unregistered guest
Thank God there are some real EE's speakin' up. For you morons who paid exorbitent amounts for your system cables, continue to believe in your systems' aural superiority. HAHAHAH
For you "skin effect" folks out there...skin effect is a phenomenon observed in the GHz range, WAY above audible energy in the EM spectrum.

If you can't impress em' with knowledge- baffle em' with Bullshit

Demuxer
Unregistered guest
Let's talk about impedance mismatch and VSWR caused by poor termination. Now there is a topic.

Demuxer
Unregistered guest
Let's talk about impedance mismatch and VSWR caused by poor termination. Now there is a topic.

jimbobby
Unregistered guest
lets talk about unwanted hair growth caused by lost signal structure in the flux capacitor. it takes 1.21 jigwatts to produce a wind of flatulence the size of the atlantic ocean. so there.

Anonymous

Gentlemen,

Can't we all get along?

There is truth in what everyone has said. For the most part, a cable is a cable, is a cable. But, and this is a big but, how they interact with the components you use with them is where the differences in sound, etc., you hear come from. The better the quality the components, which includes your connecting wires, the less difference you will hear when you make changes.

Some cables act as resistors, thereby making the system sound dull, whereas other cables can sound bright and make some music unlistenable.

There is a synergy that components and connectors have and when the synergy is right, you will know it.

DH Labs has a digital link that many people think is the cat's meow. In my system, s's, c's, and some other letters are over emphasised when using this cable, so I choose not to use it. Does this mean it is a bad cable? In my system yes, in others no.

Components do not sound totally the same, nor do connectors, because many times they are manufactured to what the company or person thinks sounds best. Many times these differences are minor, but can be noticed.

Another thing to consider with your system is where it is located. Rooms with their furniture, layout, etc, can make a system sound imbalanced, either dull, bright, too boomy, no bass, etc. Consider those factors also when you set up your system.

If your system sounds good to you, then it is right. If you experiment enough (and have all the right friends) you will find the sound that is just "right" for you.

Enjoy the hobby of finding "the right sound".

Username: Pkhona

Post Number: 7
Hi Demuxer,

I agree with you - skineffects , very high frequency range, even speakers will filter it out.

As far as impedance mismatch, again at audible range for small length cables, will not matter at all since the circuit will still behave as if it were discrete. However higher frequency components will have field day simply because speakers have impedance of 8 ohms, receivers are matched to speakers and cables have 50 to 100 ohms. Thus lots of reflections though again at high frequency where wave length reduces to a such an extent that cable length matters and acts as transmission line, should not matter at audio ranges.

-purvesh

Username: Overdoze

Post Number: 6
Unless you live in a completely sound proofed environment the 'quality' difference in expensive cables is negligable if not completely unnoticable. (None at all in most cases)
Ask a studio engineer what cables are fitted in his studio and he's unlikely to mention any 'high end' branded products.
Buy stuff if it looks nice, but dont believe the hype with regards to supreme performance.

GeorgeG
Unregistered guest
Hi all. I have simple question I hope somebody can answer. Do the connectons on the reciever have to be gold plated if you use gold plated cable connectors? I am concerned that I may corode my pc sound card and reciever which do not have gold connections (i.e. I would rather have the cable connections corode through the contact of dissimilar metals than the sound card or reciever as the cables can be cheaply replaced).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
It's very easy to write a positive review of a nice looking and expensive cable in isolation. Do any cable manufacturers/dealers out there, have the nerve to try a test of their products in a blind shootout?
Put the money where the mouth is so to speak. There can be only one 'ultimate' cable for sound!
I've tried it with a few of my friends, not particularly scientific, but very upsetting for my friend and his NORDOST cables.

skeptic
Unregistered guest
I did the blind test with some friends once, and most of us found out our favorite beer wasn't so great after all. Now a serious question, do cables degrade over time?, and if they do how can some manufacturers offer a life time warrenty or are they just banking us losing our reciets over the years.

Username: Eea123

Post Number: 2
It is funny that so much debate occurs on the cabling on the outside of the components with little to no discussion about what wiring is used on the inside. Take a peek. It's just a dab of solder on an etched PC board, yet the 10 gauge interconnects are still gonna make a big difference?

Username: Doug_b

Post Number: 4
Great thread. I've always tried to remain a bit open minded about said topic, but have still always leaned a bit towards the pessimistic attitude where "audiophile cables", and their dealer's were concerned.

It's very easy to get caught up in both sides of the argument, since both can and do sound logical in their theories. The one thing I've come to trust though, more than paragraphs full of audiophile terms and fancy $2.00 words, is actual proof.

Proof, meaning hearing. Blind tests are the ONLY way IMO, in which any amount of cables should ever be put head to head. A lot of good points have been brought up though, which would naturally change the desired effects during a blind test.

Tests must be done using the same equipment, because different components will have different sound colorations of course. I forget who said it in this thread, but it was interesting and logical that any cable shouldn't be a factor in what changes the sound of the source. It seems logical to me that, a cable should be created to be transparent, and allow the source to deliver an unfettered signal, which produces sound as close to the original as is possible.

Cables should not color sound, which is the pointof what had been said. After all of that, what is left ? My conclusion, leaves me with what I will be looking for in new cables:

Very in-expensive, but shielded/terminated cables with very solid construction and decent looks. I would prefer to buy ready made terminated ones, which I can stick banana plugs on to (for convenience and ease of use). They should be easy to manage and not get all mangled up like bare wire, hence the reason for getting shielded ones.

So, who here can point to a place which sells such a thing ? I'm obviously thinking Radio Shack, and will be going out in a little while to investigate. I personally do not want to buy Monster Cables, because of the history they have with the industry. I might even consider making my own cables, should I find a proper guide and good tools which allow me to do so. I'd make them so damned pretty !

What do you all think ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I think that the silence from the manufacturers and resellers with regards to blind testing says it all really.;-)

BTW mulitistranded copper wire can degarade over time due to oxidization.
Silver coating on cables protects the copper core from oxidization.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us