S Video VS. Composite

bob sivrolowski
I just got Direct TV and it gives me the choice of either S-video or Composite/RCA for my picture. Which will give me the better picture, S-Video or Composite?? Thank you.

Derek
S-Video.

Anonymous

S-Video is better than composite. From what I've found, in decreasing order of quality, the connection types are:

Component
S-Video
Composite
Coax

Roland Hall
Unregistered guest
I have purchased approx $5000 of HTS equipment (receiver, subwoofer, speakers, DVD player) and will incorporate my existing equipment (DSS, TV, stereo components). The store where I purchased everything gave me a quote of $2000 to hook everything up ($1200 materials, $800 labor) and I decided that I could probably figure it out myself. However, I am already stumped. Why would the quote they gave me be for composite video connections, when the receiver has 3 component video inputs, which is apparently better than composite, and also better than the S-video and the receiver has 5 S-video inputs. Which should I use? Thanks.

dubz
Unregistered guest
dbs recievers won't output through component, unless its a HD reciever, then DEFINATLY use component, because s vid and composite will not hold a HD signal, won't even hold a 480p (proggressive scan dvd)

for a dbs (satellite). Use S video, it seperates the colors and black & whites, much better picture. for a DVD use component, same as s vid, but seperates the 2 colors, and holds your 480p picture if your dvd is progressive scan and your tv is hdtv ready

Ed Castillo
Unregistered guest
Is it worth using S-video connections with TiVo and an HD-ready TV (i.e, digital cable box to TiVo to TV, using 2 s-video cables)?

Would the picture be much better than with RCA cables?

Username: Kida

Post Number: 5
$2000 seems high to setup a system with all composite rca cables. They were probably quoting the proce that way to get you for more on the better cables. Unless they are running the wires though the walls. Then it seems more reasonable.

I just set up an entire system w/ directv tivo. Use the svideo for the directv receiver (or cable box) and component video for your dvd. I originally had svideo on my dvd and I was amazed at the picture improvement on my EDTV plasma when I enabled progressive scan with component cables. Use optical connections for sound on both the directv receiver / cable box and dvd. This will send the dolby/dts bitstream to your receiver for decoding.

A few newbie tips:
1) Set aspect ratio to 16:9 on directv receiver, dvd and tv if you have widescreen
2) Set directv/tivo to output and record dolby whenever avilable
3) Enable all your available speakers in your av receiver setup and then set output levels and delays. On many receievrs you need to setup each surround mode individually.
4) Make sure both Dolby and DTS bitstreams are enabled on your dvd. And enable progressive scan if avaliable.

Hope this helps. Its complicated but stick with it. Its worth it. And there are many helpful people on this board.

Username: Dave_h

Post Number: 6
The best (best color, best resolution, etc.) connections between digital video components (HDTV monitors, Satellite Receivers, DVDs, etc.) is Digital Video Interface (DVI) connections. This method of connection sends digital signal directly without converting down to analog and then converting analog back to digial. Most of the new video equipment now coming out has DVD connections.

Username: Tmollerup

Post Number: 1
If I am running composite from my cable box to my ReplayTV, is there any reason to upgrade my ReplayTV to TV connection from composite to S-Video? In other words, if the cable signal is going into ReplayTV over composite, is there any value in going S-Video from the ReplayTV to the TV?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 224
no, that would be a waste, unless the cable signal is putting out S-Video signal or if your Replay TV can upconvert the signals.

cheers

Unregistered guest
Component is way to go, 10x better then s-video and 20x better then regular video input

Unregistered guest
also remember to use high end cables too, to deliver the better pictures and audio, i'm running all monster and ar cables.

Username: Whoster69

That's useful information. Thanks to all who posted.

I kind of facing this question myself. I just bought a 36" TV (a JVC AV-36F704). This isn't a high definition set. I have a progressive scan DVD player, (a LiteOn LVD-2002). Should I go with S-Video or fork out some more money for Component Video Cables?

Any useful advice is appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
My understanding is that progressing scan will only work with component for non-HD TVs. Although you may get a good picture with S-video, you should get a significantly better one with component in progressing mode.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your info Dave. Any thoughts on what cables are good/inexpensive and where to buy?

Thanks again for the help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Who Ster - Since you do not have HD, I would suggest just using the best Component Cables available from Radio Shack or similar outlet.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I was thinking. GE makes some for $20 at Amazon.com and there's another place that's supposed to have some good ones for $30 at: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=18379266&St=7384&St2=-59436 579&St3=67747675&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117473&DID=7

Thanks again for the advice.

Whoster

Andy W.
Unregistered guest
Will the picture quality be better if I hook up component video cables from dvd to tv? My tv is NOT HD and it seems that it also does not accept progressive signals. Or maybe I should go with S Video; I am very new at this. Thanks. TV is 32"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
My opinion:

If your standard analog 32" TV has component cables, I assume it will accept progressive scan input from your DVD (if your DVD has progressive scan output). However in general the signal received through non-progressive-scan componet is a better signal (color separation, contrast, etc.) than s-video (which is much better than standard Coax).

On the other hand a mid-sized set such as your 32" may have too small a screen to be able to tell significant difference between S-video and component. The larger screens magnify the video line separation and therefore resolution quality becomes a significantly higher concern.

Another consideration is how you are using the system. Does your video signal from your DVD go through your A/V Receiver-Amp? If so, the type of switching your A/V Receover-Amp offers (Coax, S-video, Component, etc.) may determine how you hook things up.

In general go with the method that offers the best video signal and these video connections are as follows from outstanding to fair: DVI (digital video interface), Component/Composit (progressive scan), standard Component/Composit, S-Video, and finally standard old Coax.

I hope the above is helpful; if not, let me know what you find out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Andy
You can use component video cables to hook up your DVD player to your TV even though it is not progressive scan compatible, as long as the component connections are there. They will provide you with the best resolution possible short of progressive scan. You just have to remember to set-up your DVD player so that the progressive scan is off, if not, you will get a scrambled picture, much like those unauthorized cable channels we all hope to get for free..lol

cheers

Andy W.
Unregistered guest
David and Berny,
Thank you so much for your advice. This is my first time on this site and I am extremely grateful for your generosity. Yeah, I think even though my TV (sony 32" wega - 2 yrs old) has inputs for component video cables, it is not progressive scan compatible. Berny, you are right in anticipating a scrambled picture when I turn on the progressive scan. I thought that if a TV is equipped with component video inputs, it would be progressive scan compatible. Learn something new everyday.

Once again, thanks guys for your help!! Really appreciate it.

Andy W.

M Sinex
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if it is worth upgrading to component cables with a Playstation 2 system? I just purchased a 37' HD LCD, and was going to upgrade to either S video or component. Does the PS2 push a good enough signal to see a difference? The drawback is that if I go component, I will have to get some sort of selector to share the component switch with my DVD player. Any thoughts about where to get a good but not a super expensive component selector?

Unregistered guest
Question:
I have digital cable / Bose audio /Plasma TV using componant (RGB) to the Plasma and composite audio from cable to the Bose. I just got Tivo and it doesn't support componant so I'm using svideo from the cable to Tivo and svideo from Tivo to the Bose and svideo from the Bose to the Plasma and the picture quality is not as good as original. help.. Any suggestions? is Tivo a problem in maintaining good video?

Christopher Fl
Unregistered guest
I have purchased the Sony 50" HD widescreen Rear Projection on LCD. I have the following equipment:

Sony DA333ES: It has optical, coax and s-video jacks, but I dont see component video :-(

Sony DVP-C600D: 5 cd/dvd carousel that does have Compenent Video, S-Video and Optical.

Purchasing Comcast HD Cable box.

Question: since I dont seem to have component video on my a/v receiver, what do I do? connect s-video from tv to receiver and to dvd OR do I connect compenent from tv to DVD and then s-video from dvd to the receiver?

Thanks for your assistance

Victor B.
Unregistered guest
First off, good choice on the 50" Sony...if I was spending my money, I would go LCD Projection, without a doubt (plus, you don't have to junk it after around 30,000 hours like Plasma, and, imo, it's a better picture [that is, until you start really getting up there in price on the plasmas - Gateway plasma need not apply]). Anyway, to answer your question, for best picture (especially when talking about a very large, and very capable LCD Projection) you would want to run component from the DVD straight to the TV seeing as how your a/v receiver doesn't support component. Then, just run an audio cable from the DVD player to the receiver for sound (preferably an optical cable for digital audio). Running S-video from the DVD to the receiver, and then from receiver to TV would degrade quality, and it's not necessary to run video through the receiver anyway. Good luck, and enjoy the set.

Anonymous

Is there a big difference between a basic component video cable and an exotic one?

Unregistered guest
I have a computer that I would like to connect to a composite video system(TV Monitors) The computer has a s-video out only. How to I convert S-VIDEO to composite video?

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
Rocco,
try this
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1238
cheers

James Garcia
Unregistered guest
i'm not sure if this is the right forum. I'm transferring data from my analog video cam to my PC. My video cam could output s-video and through a cable that splits into a video and audio (RCA) jacks. My PC could take in s-video, RCA or s400(i link) inputs. Would using an s-video cable matter against using the RCA cable?

thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
use the s-video cable, it will provide you with better picture quality. I'm not too familiar with i-link, so I can't comment on that. I use a DVI to 1394cable out of my JVC camcorder.

yabbadabba
Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up my Gateway laptop to a Mitsubishi 32" TV. The laptop has a 4 pin s-video output and the TV has composite video inputs.

I bought an adaptor at Microcenter for $5.00 but It doesn't work. Does s-video need to be converted vs. just adapted?

James Garcia
Unregistered guest
thanks for the input Berny

Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer 50" Plasma(PDP-5030HD), DirecTV-TIVO(non-HD), Sony DVD Player, Yamaha AV Reciever. Looking for critiques on my plan.
Since the Pioneer comes with an integrated receiver, I plan to run all video through this box while I run all audio through the Yamaha.

The Pioneer uses DVI between the receiver and the display, but only accepts componant, s-video and composite input into the receiver. I plan to run componant from DVD and DirecTV to the Pioneer receiver while running RCA audio (red & white)from DVD and DirecTV to the Yamaha.

Questions: 1) Are the wiring plans good ones? 2) Will the quality of cable make a difference on any part of the system? 3) Anything I'm missing? 4) How can I use the IR pickup on the face of the plasma display to carry the signal to the other boxes in my system so I can hide them from sight?

Unregistered guest
M Sinex,

I am in the exact situation you are in... I too am thinking of going component for my PS2. I am currently doing svideo now and the picture is pretty sharp and there are games that specifically support 480p ie ATV Offroad2. But it would not make much sense for playing games because it is about the highest I have seen that any of sony's games support. I even called support and asked. I am thinking about making the switch because I do use my playstation alot for playing DVDs and I do want to be able to get 1080i quality out of it. Let me know how your situation turns out. I might just get the cable anyway....

If anyone has any ideas or comments on the PS2 issue please email me at morphy2k@hotmail.com if you want to work on some ways we can improve upon our gaming experience.

Thanks all

Unregistered guest
I have a 130cm (that's about 50" i think) Sony WEGA rear projection TV. It has scart connectors. I got a medium-high end Panasonic DVD player (like a base Marantz model). Now, 1) can i connect component from DVD player to scart (the scart converter that came with TV only had holes for composite and svideo)

or 2) Is getting an average (not el cheapo) quality direct (no transformer things) svideo-scart (one end is svideo, the other is scart) better than option 1?

Cheers

Tarah
Unregistered guest
Im new to this. Just got a s-video cable to connect my dish network to my 32" Wega. I just get video using this cable. What do I use for audio? My normal composite audio cable? Is this normal? I mean does everyone use svideo + composite audio, or is there a better audio cable? Also if I upgraded to component video(dvd player to tv) will I still have to use rca audio? Example http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2010&sku=29166 . Does this use normal composite audio cable. Sorry for asking all these questions...

Tarah
Unregistered guest
To make the long story short, will there be any loss in audio/video quality if I use, http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2010&sku=27082 + my old rca composite cable(red&white for audio) - over - the linked cable in the above post? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 602
Tarah,
Video cables are always separate from audio cables and I haven't seen both carried in one cable.
Component video has a better picture quality than s-video and composite video. So, you'd want to use component video cables to hook up your DVD to your tv.
For your audio, you still need your red & white RCA cables. Remember, video is separate from audio. Color coding is grand ain't it. Unless you are using a home theater receiver and a 5.1 surround sound system.
cheers

Tarah
Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny.

Micky D
Unregistered guest
yo - just following the thread here, and have a puzzler for everyone.

component clearly is a higher quality option over s-video. lasonic has a ultra-small, portable dvd player that includes progressive scan capability, but only offers the choices of s-video, composite and coax for video delivery. no component.

can progressive scan be made useful with s-video, without component inputs. why would they not include component jacks?

toulouse2k
Unregistered guest
I have a 15" LCD ...will there be much difference between the quality of S-video and Component on this small screen?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
yes, LCDs are more sensitive to video signal quality than CRT

jaromir
Unregistered guest
Just bought a JVC 32flat and find that when i use my component cables instead of my s-video, my picture shows "ghosts"? When a scene changes on dvd, from bright to dark -you can see the outline of the bright object for a split second on the dark screen, also, if I pause the screen on a dark scene, the little white pause symbol on top left corner,seems to bleed its colour.I don't get this problem when I use S-video instead.In short what I am saying is that in my experience, component doesn't really seem to do alot for a non-hd-ready tv compared to s-video-my picture overall is no crisper with component, and actually seems to suffer because of it. Any thoughts???

Hashedz
Unregistered guest
Hope someone can help me with this one:
Recently I have started to get a scrambled picture on my TV while using S-Video connection from my A/V receiver. I have used S-Video for 5 years and this has never happened before. When I watch TV thru my VCR line-in, which is connected directly to my TV's coax-in the picture is fine. When I attach my DVD player directly to my TV's S-Video-in the picture is fine. When I try to watch the DVD thru the receiver via S-Video it's also scrambled.
I assume it's an issue with my S-Video-out ports on my receiver, but was wondering if anyone has any advice...besides buy a new receiver!

Unregistered guest
I have a sony directv dss sattelite box and want to connect it to my vomputer using s-video. i have a diamond stealth s8o video card with s video out connector and my box also has one. there conencted but im not getting any directv picture on my tv. do i need software or what. if so what is a free software i can use?

MikeCompEng
Unregistered guest
Donovan,
You will need to go with another video card or buy a tv capture card if you want to get the signal through your computer. S-video out will not do any good on both components. Your cable box has Co-Ax INPUT and S-Video OUPUT. Your video card also has S-Video OUTPUT. You need S-Video,Composite,or Co-Ax INPUT on your video card to watch tv on your computer. Check out Hauppauge tuner cards or some ATI tuner cards or even ATI All in Wonder cards.

Jebba
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, just wanted to make something known to everyone. First, I have found that Monster is the best quality when it comes to any AV cables. Second, Progressive scan ONLY works with tv's that are HD capable, or tv's that are hooked up to a separate HD reciever.

Username: Panasonic7uy

Would someone please help me? When I use S-Video from my Dish receiver to my panasonic plasma, I just get black & white. When I switch over to RCA, I have color. If you are familiar with this problem, please let me know. Thanks!

Martino
Unregistered guest
You seem like a pretty knowledgeable/helpful group here!

My situation:

I have a DVD, HD box, and PS2 to connect to my tv (34" panasonic tau widescreen). I have a set of composite cables for each piece I want to hook up.

The tv only has 2 component inputs, 2 s-video, and a bunch of regular composites.

Right now I have the component cabels input from the cable box and ps2 (which I use the most) - and then I am just switching the PS2 input for the dvd (component) input whenever I want to watch dvd.

Is that my best setup? Or should I somehow make use of s video so I don't have to switch cables whenever I want to watch a dvd?

I hear component is better than s video - that's why I bought three sets of component cables...only to find I only have 2 sets of component inputs!

PS. Can you plug component cables into s video jacks??? That would solve it...

thanks a lot!

Anonymous

S-Video. Component is supposed to be the best ...

Unregistered guest
The different signals from best to worst:

Component: Y/Y-r/Y-b three RCA Plugs
S-VHS or S-Video: Y/C a DIN plug with 4 pins
Composite: Y+C one RCA plug
RF: one "F" connector

but you probably already knew this.

S-video is easily convertable to composite and composite is easily convertable to rf. This is because these formats are very similar.

However, it is extremely difficult to convert these formats to component, or vice-versa. It is also difficult to create composite from rf, and s-video from composite.

also, if you are upgrading to component from composite, don't bother getting new cables. Just use your old ones (yellow white red). just make sure you connect like colors.

you can buy simple switches to connect two (usualy three) inputs to one, but they don't have remotes.

god
Unregistered guest
Tjhe lord says, cables are a scam for stupif d audiophiles and may be even some videophiles. Use Composite, Its better than S video...

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if it is possible to hook up your PS2 to your laptop computer with an s-video and use your computer screen to play PS2 on the road while travelling for example. I have an IBM T-41 which has an s-video jack and I have cables for my PS2 which can make it an s-video out.

thanks

Mikellie
Unregistered guest
LCD or DLP? And why?

sharexx
Unregistered guest
I have a new JVC DVD/VCR combo. I have an older TV that does support S-Video. I am going to take the cable into the house, run it through a splitter and hook it to the back of the combo unit using RF cables. No problem. I am going to hook up the L/R audio output from the combo unit to the L/R audio input on the TV. Then I was going to use an S-video connection between the combo unit and the TV. I do not have a cable box. Now this is where I get confused. Does the cable company send composite or s-video or does it even matter? If they send composite should I waste any time on s-video? Thanks.

cu3-oic
Unregistered guest
I have a HDTV Sony 65in. LCD screen TV.

Ok, quick rant before I get to the point:
I now believe LCD is definitely the way to go for the budget-minded comsumer. Why pay $3,000 for a low-end plasma TV when it has virtually the same picture quality as a high end LCD for the same price? The LCD TV will last for years. The low-end plasma TV will begin to lose quality and go bunk on you in a few years. Sure, if you've got cash to blow and you want to pay $15,000 for a high-end plasma that has a much longer screen life, go for it. But if you're fortunate enough to just be in the $2,000-$6,000 range for a quality HDTV, I highly recommend LCD.

Ok, to the point:
As of the holidays (thanks Santa), I am using all optical cables for my new equipment. If your HDTV, DVD and receiver are DVI ready, DEFINITELY forget conventional cables and make the upgrade. I am also using optical audio for my 7.1 THX receiver. The difference in picture and audio quality using optical cables is just astonishing! I had a Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition marathon last week for my friends and family and they all unanomously agreed my setup put their theater experiences to shame. That made me feel damn good! DVI all the way baby!

Jacalyn
Unregistered guest
I just upgraded from a 27inch Sony to a 27inch Sony with HDTV. I also have a progressive scan Sony DVD. Will my composite cables, three of them, work ok to connect my DVD and new Sony using the component inputs/outputs? Or should I buy new Monster component cables?

DeeCee
Unregistered guest

I have a Hitachi rear projection 43 inch tv, and I am trying to hook a s-video up to my Dishnet, when I hook it in to the video input on the back of the tv its only showing up in black and white, why would that be happening? I have all the connections in the right color placements, white, red and s-video...thanks... Dee..

Username: Trudzie

I have a Samsung 5063W with Comcast dual tuner DVR (model 4208). Comcast provided the component wires and HD channels are excellent. However, the analog channels (1-99) are not as good as they were with the prior digital (non HD) cable box. The analog channels when seen through my PIP connection which bypasses the new HD cable box, are much clearer. I have component wires from HD cable box to TV. I also have available both a DVI and HDMI connection on both the HD cable box and the TV. Would DVI (or HDMI) improve the quality of the analog channels? Comcast says it's Motorola's new HD cable box. That the analog tuner is poor. If I use PIP I lose the ability to use the DVR and dual tuner features of the Motorola cable box. I would prefer to improve the quality of the analog channels somehow. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
I have a new Mitsubishi 42 inch plasma EDTV. Can it be connected to component or must I use composite ? It has an S-video but it's on the front of the set. Is there an adapter that converts composite to S-video ? Yhanks for any assistance you may provide.

Unregistered guest
I have DishTV and a new Mitsubishi 42 inch EDTV.Can it be connected to component or must I use composite ? It has S-video but on the front of the set. Is there an adapter that converts composite to S-video ? Thanks for any assistance you are able to offer.

blackzc
Unregistered guest
I have a question? component is obviously the best way to connect, coax being the worst. but coax is what runs all the way from the cable company to the house giving you your HiDef signal right? This has always confused me. Does it have to do with signal strength?

jane
Unregistered guest
Any advice for setting up the following (I am very new at this):
(1) Sony 27" HDTV
(2) Panasonic progressive-scan DVD/stereo system combo
(3) Comcast digital cable box
(4) very old Samsung VCR
Right now, I have the cable running through the VCR then to the TV with standard coax cable (I am not bothering connecting audio from VCR to the stereo system as I hardly use the VCR). The DVD and sound system are already connected as a unit, so that leaves video output from this unit to the TV and audio input from TV to the unit. Three questions:
(1) Am I missing something? (e.g., the cable box only has one connection: a coax output to the TV via the VCR; does it need audio output?) Any other recommendations? (e.g., does running the cable connection through the VCR do anything to the signal?)
(2) Would you recommend S-video or composite?
(3) Even though I am not connecting the VCR to the sound system, can sound still come from the stereo system by virtue of the TV being connected to it?

garnettrules21
Unregistered guest
my question is i have a cable one digital cable box and it has s-video and composite hookups on it. my tv also has hook ups for both, if i ran component cables from the box to the tv would it make the picture better, or are they strictly for dvd players or something. my question basically is if i run either s-video or component from the box to my tv will it improve the picture? thanks

Username: Brit1066

Franklin, TN US

Having read some of the posts I have a few comments.
Garnettrules21, yes component signals are better than s-video or composite. But unless you are watching a good digital channel or HD you probably won't notice much difference.
Cu3-oic, you are dead right on the LCD versus Plasma question, I can't see any difference between the two.
On the optical cables you are dead wrong. A DIGITAL signal running over an optical link will look and sound identical to the same signal running over Coax.
Think about it, it is a DIGITAL signal, you could link paper clips together and run the signal over them and it would look/sound the same. The whole point of digital signals is that they can be transmitted from here to the moon and back and still contain the identical information. Digital signals can be regenerated along their path and the regenerated signals will be identical to the original. Digital signals contain many kinds of extra information which enable transmission equipment to check for erors and even to correct any errors which may ave occured. If an error does occur and cannot be corrected then the signal does not go through. If the signal does go through then it will be identical to the source that generated it (DVD, TV transmitter etc). This is NOT true of Analog signals, they will degrade over distance and any repeater or regenerater CAN NOT corrected errors or deviations. That is why a good quality cable does help with Analog signals (within limits). Buying expensive cables for digital signals is lunacy (do not buy Monster cables they are a ripoff).
What you are experiencing is the common fallacy which goes like this, digital is better than analog (true) therefore optical must be better than coax (not true) therefore my HTS MUST look/sound better (not true).
Remember that the vast number of people who view HD TV get their Digital signals over COAX cables from the cable company. Simply replacing the last few feet of Coax with Optical cables HAS NO EFFECT. Neither does it enhance the signals coming from a DVD.
Inside your DVD player the digital Audio signals coming from the disc are converted to Optical with an Optical encoder and sent across your Optical cable to your Hi-Fi. There they are coverted back to electrical signals by an Optical decoder and then decoded again into Audio frequency signals which are amplified and sent to the speakers.
Using optical connections requires an extra encode/decode over using Coax.
Perhaps you think that the laser which reads the data from the DVD then sends that optical data straight over you optical cable, NOT TRUE.

Unregistered guest
I am dubbing old vhs tapes to dvd. I have been using component (red, green, blue) connections on a jvc digital vcr to copy the vhs tapes to dvd -(the dub is still analog but that vcr gives me the extra component connection). Am I getting an advantage in quality by using this type of connection for dubbing old vhs to dvd? I have also used an s-vhs connection to dub vhs tapes to dvd. I am noticing a slight green tint on the dvds dubbed with the component connection but not on the dvds using the s-vhs connection. Any thoughts on this? Also, is the component connection really the best way to copy old vhs tapes to dvd in order for me to get the best transfer? Or should use the s-vhs or even the standard rca-composite connections? In some cases, I can't tell the difference when viewing but in others, the copies made with the (red, blue, green) component connections seem less sharp. Any advise on which connection is really giving me the best transfer of old vhs to dvd?

Dave In Kentucky
Unregistered guest
Hello Projector Central:

I just wanted to offer my congratulations on a very nice website. It was very informative, precise and in layman's terms (I'm technical but lacked some of the primers on the video industry topics but felt "qualified" because I am a computer guru). I soon learned that computers and televisions are two totally different animals but linked in the evolutionary food chain.

I just recently went to Circuit City and saw a Sony Wega 42" EDTV Plasma and the picture quality was stunning. I have been looking around for a flat panel TV for quite some time now and the costs were so prohibitive that I just could not bear to drop the money. I guess their marketing and displays are so well set up that I could almost immediately tell the difference between a 2,000 TV and a 3,000 TV. Sony just plain gets the concept while others don't. And I later after being educated went back and they had the cheaper TV hooked up with S-Video while the Sony had Component... Was this deliberate ... I don't know but whatever it was it worked.

I then eventually talked myself into getting one. The trick was convincing my wife that she needed one too :-) I had to explain that our Tube TV was as old as our 10 year marriage and it was used when we bought it to boot. She conceded after a short demonstration on how well the TV kept our children's attention (in a store no less!).

We dropped the money and walked out the door (getting the TV home was a different adventure) but we managed none the less.

Now it's up on the wall and I ran all the power to the middle of the wall along with my Cable F-Type coax (to give the install that brochure look and feel that sold me, like the TV was floating on the wall wireless).... I was using a multi-sense signal switch to detect which device was outputting a signal then sending it to the TV via the coax, it's a nice converter switch with multiple source inputs like S-Video, Component and Composite and Coax but using coax as the source to the TV was my FIRST MISTAKE.

Now, after reading your primers on video, I feel almost stupid for making the mistake. (Goes to prove MEN DON'T READ INSTRUCTIONS) but then again after all the swing sets and particle board furniture over the years, experience proves that they are written in Chinglish anyways so why bother, I know all there is to know remember, I'm a computer guru...

I then went back and fished component video cables (Monster type) inside the walls and now I have plates for the various inputs (RGB and S-Video, and Coax). I bought an inexpensive Progressive Scan DVD HTIB system (SECOND MISTAKE) and one of the component video connectors was bad so I initially thought something was wrong with my new TV and there are no extra audio inputs, etc. for other devices (Rule #2, you get what you pay for!). I took that back and dropped some more dough but now I have a HTIB system that absolutely rocks. I immediately output the Component video on the Progressive Scan DVD to my EDTV via Component cables and OH MY GOD! I was immediately stunned, the experience was like putting fresh batteries into a flashlight.

Thanks again for hearing my story because it has to be told (and my wife could care less either way) so long as she gets the TV during prime time soaps.... lucky for me, I work 2 jobs and get the TV mostly to myself around 10:00 PM, just enough time to watch a good DVD before I turn into a pumpkin at Midnight!. Heck, she may not care but it's really impressive to the guys..

Take care and keep up the good work, my kudos to the authors...

PS ~ the articles were component.htm and video_signals.htm

Dave in Kentucky (and no I'm not originally from Kentucky, I'm a transplant from NY so I did not need the primer on remote controls and power cords).

Franklin, TN US

Dave in Kentucky,
Your biggest mistake was buying Monster cables, when are people going to get the message. Fancy boxes and slick connectors costing many dollars ARE NO BETTER than standard cables at inexpensive prices.
Monster has you all fooled.
Wake up.

Franklin, TN US

Post Number: 3
Perhaps it isn't just Monster who is at fault some of the fault is with the people who are doing the selling at the likes of Worst buy etc.
Remember for the most part they are just young kids, somehow society in general has the impression that youngsters know all about computers and hi tech stuff. Let me disabuse you of this urban legend. There is no doubt that young people these days tend to be more familiar with technology but they are for the most part completely ignorant of how this stuff actually works.
Have you ever heard them try to explain how ethernet actually works or how IP addressing works or what NAT actually does. I once heard one try to explain the difference between a hub a switch and a router, nothing he said came anywhere close to the truth.
Most of them don't know the difference between mega hertz and mega cycles (they are the same, by the way) hertz refers to Heinrich Hertz a phyicist who did much of the early research into electromagnetic radiation.
Most cannot explain the difference between composite and so called component signals. When it comes to explaining DIGITAL signals then all bets are off. However they are all completely convinced that very expensive cables are better than cheap ones. Did you ever hear of the monster ethernet cable that goes faster than a cheap ethernet cable. Ask them how much faster the Monster cable makes 100mb ethernet go, on some Monster cable packages it says thet the cable is rated at 300 or as much as 500 mbps so they think that is how fast the Monster cable will go!!!!!
My son in law bought an AV receiver from Worst Buy and was told that he absolutely needed to buy the $80 optical cable for the DVD to AV link. When he got home he found out that the AV receiver they had recommended to him had in fact NO optical ports on it at all. He did not return the optical cable, this was before he was my son in law.
Bottom line, discount everything you hear from young people (and some older ones) in places like Worst Buy. Contrary to popular opinion, they know VERY little, ask a friend who is knowledgeable or do some research on the Web. Biggest and most expensive is almost certainly NOT THE BEST DEAL.

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA dvd/receiver(all in one). To hook up the video portion it says "When connecting S-video cable, a Composite video cable (yellow RCA connector) must also be used".
There is an RCA receptor for a connector on the back of the receiver but where does this go on the TV? There is also an option to connect "Component Video Output". Would that be a better choice?
Thanks in advance for your sharing of your knowledge with me (who right now feels totally helpless)!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 368
Strange, seems like s-video connection would be used only for audio. Does
receiver also have line out (usually red and white 1" jacks)? If so, it could be better just to connect the three (red white and yellow) to TV if possible.

Component video is far better quality. If your TV has such inputs too, use them. But check first that it is the same type of "components" (Yc, RGB etc).

Good luck
AL

frenchy
Unregistered guest
Looking to see if anyone knows if there is a y splitter for component. I have a comcast cable box and dvd that uses component cables but my Panasonic hdtv has only 1 input component..would it work anyway?

c r a i g
Unregistered guest
I've read through much about cables here and I appreciate all who've offered their wisdom. I think I've figured out my problem: My ReplayTV 5040 has a progressive scan component output and my Toshiba 27AF42 has component input but it isn't progressive scan. So the picture is, as one post described it, scrambled like one of those "unautorized" cable channels.

With ReplayTV there is no way to turn the progressive scan off and there is only 1 component and 1 S-Video outs (there are two RCA outs, but I'd just assume not use them). So I could just use S-Video out, but I want to use that to hook up my recently purchased DVD-R (which has S-Video in but no component in).

So basically I've got one quality out (s-video) that I can use but I need two. Any solutions? Is there anyway to hook up progressive and non-progressive component equipment? Anyway to convert the component out to S-Video out w/o spending a significant amount of $$?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and time.

craig

Bubb Rubb
Unregistered guest
I am using a 7.2" LCD monitor as a large viewfinder for a DV video camera. The camcorder has RCA and S-video out, but my monitor only has an RCA jack for the video in. If I use an S-video to RCA converter plug to send S-video to the monitor, will I see any difference? If so, how much of a difference?

Thanks!

Jahosifatz
Unregistered guest
Great info on this site and has helped me a lot. My question may seem sophomoric, but then again, so am I. Anyways. Just bought a Polaroid LCD Flat Screen (FLM-2011) as a bedroom monitor. Actually, very surprised at quality for price. My question is my PS2 looks super granular, it's run through my vcr, which has composite outs to monitor. Is it b/c it's running through my vcr? If so, should I run it straight to my receiver, and are there upgrade cables?

Anonymous

I'm digitizing old vhs tapes by using the pass through feature of the digital video camera to convert the image to mpeg and then burning a dvd. My video camera for video input can take rca or s-video. Given that I don't own a vcr having s-video output, would it be worth investing in one?

Unregistered guest
Fantastic information - thanks all!

Here is my dilemna. I have recently bought a 46" Samsung HD*ready* TV. I'll purchase a separate digital receiver. In the meantime, I am running S Video from my Dish Network cable box (does not offer component - and does not carry an HD signal). I am running RCA audio from the cable box to my receiver.

My questions are:
1. Is there any way to convert S video to component video to get a clearer picture on my tv? I know that until I get the dig receiver and HD signal it won't be as clear, but in the meantime can I at least improve the picture by using the comp video inputs on my TV?
2. There is a delay in the audio - is this because I am running this through my receiver rather than the TV?
3. And finally, any thoughts on a good digital receiver that I should be looking at that offers component video?

Thanks for your help?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3973

I know of no simple way to convert S-video (which consists of Chroma and Luminence) to (the Red/Green/Blue) component video format since you are asking two different formats to be merged and then separated once again. Use the S-video for now; that is the best connection available to you.

Run the video cable(s) directly to your TV/monitor and the audio cables directly to your audio receiver. The only reason to pass the video signal through the receiver is for convenience in switching and routing the signal to various sources. If you have a conventional layout on your system, there is no real need to run video through the receiver; its circuits will more than likely degrade the video quality. If this is truly a requirement you have in your system, read a few reviews of some equipment to see which receiver will actually handle the signals you will be using.

Unless you require the flexibility of video processing, there is no need to buy a "digital" receiver. (There are digital erceivers which maintain the signal in a purely digital format until the signal is sent to the speakers. These receievrs operate in Class D and produce ample power from a small power supply. At the present time, Harman Kardon makes the best purely digital receiver. This technology is somewhat expensive.) Buy the unit with the amount of flexibility you require and the sound you prefer. There are really too many possible reasons someone picks a certain product for anyone to suggest a specific product. Lay out your requirements as to ins and outs for connectivity and then go listen.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to HDTV. The difference in picture and sound quality is well worth the cost of the HD Dish receiver.

borris taylor
Unregistered guest
Wow, still much confusion. Bottom line on running composite please? If my whole house is running coax and I run coax from my wall connection to my DVD, why run composite from the DVD to my new Hitachi 50 LCD? Will 3 feet of composite make a difference? Should I set it up differently? BTW, my picture is extremely poor on all broadcast channels so I'm struggling to get a quality picture from my $2500 HDTV.

anonymous guy
Unregistered guest
i know that there are a lot of ways to transfer vhs tapes to a computer. there are different types of cables, the option to go through an adaptor or straight to the computer, the option to enter the computer through rca, s-video, usb, firewire, etc.. if anyone knows the highest quality way to do it, for both picture and sound, please tell me what it is. thanks.

heyhey
Unregistered guest
Hi

i got like a svideo thing and a s-vhs thing on my tv and one on my dvd player, the dvd player also has,

s-vhs
s-video
component
digital-which has like a special socket i never seen before-sorry i cant get a pic

so i guess for my tv s-video is best right?

Unregistered guest
i want to buy pinnacle studio av dv video capturing card(pci). PAL is the only format used in my country. on the box of the card its written like INPUT: PAL/SECAM(SECAM input only)
this card is sold here and dealers claim that it also supports PAL. it has s-video and Composite video input connectors. can i capture analog videos recorded in PAL format?
PLEASE HELP ME
thanx

Peyote
Unregistered guest
On my tv-out I have s-Video(7-pin) and convertor to s-video(4 pin),composit and component(RGB) but my 28"Panasonic only has scart,composite and s-video(4 pinn) inputs. Does 6 metres cabel decrease picture quality, which is the best choise for this distance??? Would a scart cable geting signal from the component cables be reasonable?

ShawnM
Unregistered guest
http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html

expert
Unregistered guest
HDMI all the way baby!

Mostardex
Unregistered guest
Simple question:

In order, all ways to run video:

RF (coaxial)
Composite adapter (Yellow RCA plug)
S-video (DIN plug with 4 pins)
HDTV Component (3 RCA plugs Red/Gren/Blue)
DVI
Right!?

1) Where do VGA 15pin is in this list?
2) When I have only 2 RCA plugs for video and audio, the video one is the same as the composite, right?
3) Those old 2 cables we used to plug that really old antennas (remember?) are the worst of all, right?

Great forum!

Franklin, TN US

Post Number: 4
Is this message written in English?
I can't understand it at all.
"Where do VGA 15pin is in this list", what on earth does this mean?

Mostardex
Unregistered guest
1) Where does VGA 15pin fit in this list?
:p

Mostardex
Unregistered guest
This may help you all:
"A Beginner's Guide To Building A Home Theatre System"
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/TrapsForTheUnwary/TrapsForTheUnwary.asp

Anonymous

Hello, I have a HDTV (30")widescreen and I just changed from composite to S-video, but the picture quality seemed quite less. This connection is from my new DVR Satellite box. I have heard of being able to see bad texture mapping on video games, but this would not apply here. Why do I see a lesser quality? Any help would be appreciated

brndnfrmn
Unregistered guest
If coax is going from my dish to my directv receiver, is it pointless to run an s-video cable from my directv receiver to my sony trinitron TV? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I just bought a new receiver for my home theatre package now it is complete, I find my digital cable box runs smoothe using the DVI audio/video conectors, I am experimenting with the rest I am running my x-box through the Y-Pb/cb-Pr/Cr using Digital audio (optical for sound), now I've hit a stand still here for my dvd player, I don't have anymore Y Pb/Cb wires so should I (A) go s-video or (B) spend some money and go for the same as my x-box and run it through my receiver, I also thought about using compsite which would be best on a HdTv 42" Hitachi plasma? and can I run them all through my reciever withought buying a component transfering or whatever its called box? I will keep trying the best solutions but any advice would rock guys thanks.

briantap
Unregistered guest
What would be the best device to "boost" or extend an S-video signal that has to travel a long distance. I heard the word "repeater", "modulator", "amplifier", but all these devices also want to split the signal form one to four or eight. Is this the only way to go

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a 27" Samsung non-HD TV and have a Time Warner Digital Cable box that I currently have hooked up with standard coax and a Progressive Scan DVD player that is hooked up with Composite, would it be worth it to upgrade to S-Video with the cable box and Componant with the DVD Player?

moonshell
Unregistered guest
I want to run 2 TVs and a DVD off of a Humax Tivo player, but it only has 2 composite connections out. I'm wondering if I could just find a composite cable similar to a cable splitter to accomplish this. Do 1-to-2 composite cables exist?

Username: Kitleigh

Berkeley, CA United States

Hi, "moonshell" again, I should've been clearer, I'm running a DVD-R off of the Tivo to archive TV shows. So, since I'm also displaying on 2 TVs from the Humax Tivo, and the Humax doesn't have 3 composite outputs, I'm trying to find a solution.

My question is, do 1-to-2 composite cables exist. I'd plug into one outlet off of the Humax, then split that out to two devices. That way I could run my 3 devices off of Humax's 2 composite outlets.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Anonymous

If I want HD signals to hit every jack in house, does the incoming RG-6 cable from my provider need to hit my receiver first, then distribute throughout my home?

Username: Mkarnish

I added user name. If I want HD signals to hit every jack in house, does the incoming RG-6 cable from my provider need to hit my receiver first, then distribute throughout my home?

Jukey
Unregistered guest
Here's a reply to the 15-pin VGA question
in order from bast to worst:
HDMI (Caries audio sigal)
DVI (Digital video interface)
VGA (D-Sub)
Component
S-Video
Composite
Coax

I don't know if this is the right forum to put this on but the best audio interfaces are as follows from best to worst:

Optical Audio (Toslink)
Coax digital audio (S/PDIF)
analog mulitchannel inputs (uses multiple cables)
RCA L/R audio (red and white RCA cables)
mono audio (white RCA cable)

I have a question too. why is coax the last one in video sigal when it can cary High Definiton over-the-air broadcasts to a High Def tuner? i understand when you get an RF adapter for an external device but why is it just the worst one?

JackP
Unregistered guest
Great info in here. I have a similar question to some but no replies are avail.

Coax carries HD into the HD/Digital Rcvr. Will quality degrade by inputting coax to DVD player and coax out to HD/Digital Rcvr?

I have read and understand best connections, but I agree that the rcvr must be doing something with signal over coax to maintain quality. Will output from DVD player that is straight cable be the same as direct to rcvr? Will DVD output at 480p/i be avail. when going out through coax to rcvr?

Trying to appease wife with not having so many cables to wall mount HDTV. Going with HDMI to TV, but I don't have component input into digital rcvr.

Anxiously awaiting the wisdom of the forum.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
One of the best kept secrets out there for Audio/Video cables www.voodoocable.net I also put QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer on all my cables, Major BreakThrough Product! www.Xtremeavllc.com

bfunzone
Unregistered guest
I am trying to use DVI cable from Cablebox(motorola dvr) to plasma. Cannot find signal. Any ideas?

Adrian Chavez
Unregistered guest
hello, i just bought an EDTV plasma tv, I have dishnetwork non-hdtv. what cables should i use?

Unregistered guest
Hello, I just bought a 51" rear projection Hitachi TV. And I have S-Video hooked up from my Dish Network Dish Pro 301 reciever, but I cant seem to get a good picture, I was wondering if anyone can give me any clues?? Also I hook up my Playstation 2 through S-video and the picture is very "dotty" is this possibly a bad s-video wire?? Please any hel;p is greatly appreciated...

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I just purchased a 51" rear projection, High Definition Hitahi television. I have a Dish Netowrk Dish Pro 301 reciever and I hooked it up through S-Video and the picture doesn't look any better than before I don't know if maybe I have to reset some of the video settings or what? Also when I hooked up my Playstation 2 with S-Video the picture was very "dotty" and didnt look right, could this be because I used a bad S-video cable or something? I dont know much about this stuff so Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

naveed memon
Unregistered guest
I need help... I have a cable HD DVR and have a stand alone sony DVD reorder... the inputs on Sony DVD recorders are S-video and A/V (yellow, red and white jacks)... when ever I record a TV show on DVD using the A/V jacks (yellow, red, white) it records as 3:2.... how do I record in 16:9 mode on DVD.. would getting S-video cable help? or should I look for another DVD reorder with component video input? Shows are in HD 16:9 on my DVR..... Thank you.

DannyNoonan
Unregistered guest
I need help too....I have analog cable with Tivo and the picture quality is lousy, especially on the networks. Any ideas? Better cable? S-video? Booster? Thanks.

cjjames
Unregistered guest
I just bought an S-Video cable and I connected it to my Dish Satelite to my t.v. My question is I am getting the picture (video) but no audio. I don't have a receiver is there anything I can do?

cjjames
Unregistered guest
I just bought an S-Video cable and I connected it to my Dish Satelite to my t.v. My question is I am getting the picture (video) but no audio. I don't have a receiver is there anything I can do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5048
S-video is just that, video. It does not carry any audio signals. Check the box if it has any audio outputs, then connect that to the audio input of your TV.

Anonymous

Hi!

Do anyone now if there is a way to convert the s-video signal to composite video (RGB)? My laptop only has s-video out and my tv doesn't support s-video...

Thanks for any help!

Best regards / Mathias

Anonymous

Hi

I have a Compaq Presario with S - Video Out and I need to play movies on its DVD which can be viewed on my television. How can I do this.

Anonymous

Best buy carries S-video to composite cables... Radioshak may too....

Gold Member

Post Number: 5819
Connect s-video out of compaq presario to s-video in of TV if you have it.

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have an S-video cable that I want to attach one end to my computers video card, and the other end to my tv. But here's the issue. My tv doesn't have an S-video on it only standard composite, but, my cable box and dvd does. I know, it's an old tv, but I really want to test my computers video card capability. Is there any potential that connecting the usb cable from my computer's video card to the cable box or dvd would do any good if I want the output of my computer screen to display on my tv?

(note: cable box and tv are connected to the tv)

Cable Box Brand: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200
DVD Player Brand: Sony

Thanks alot!
-Brian
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us