Speaker Connections


New member
Username: Apmurillo

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1
Registered: Jul-04
Very simple here. First can anyone tell me what a "Terminal Pin Connection" is and what it looks like?

I have a Aiwa Mini-Stereo system. The speaker connections on the back are the Spring Loaded Hinge. Using 24 gauge speaker wire.

I would like to know if there is alternative connector that I can terminate the speaker wire with so I do not have to just use bare frayed wire?

Just don't like the bare frayed wire thing.

I have seen the tiny pin connectors, and also the flexible wire connectors. Could I use these types of connectors?

Would there be any advantage to this?

I have seperated the speakers (6) across the room and in doing so I will be adding speaker wire 18 gauge to the existing 24 gauge for needed length.

Is it okay to use the 18 gauge? Is there any advantage to this?

What is the best type of connection for the extension?

If it is solder, can I do this myself or should I have an electronics person do it?

Thank you guys so much. As you can tell I am a newbie just starting out. trying to learn as I go to put my own home theatre system together soon.


Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1062
Registered: Dec-03
You can use tiny pin connectors or flexible wire connectors. The only advantage is ease of use.

Just use the 18 gauge wire all the way and just replace the existing 24 gauge wires.

Solder will also work and you don't need an electronics person to do it. But It would be more economical to use pin or flexible wire connectors, if you have to purchase a soldering iron.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us