Connecting 3.5mm digital to Optical Digital (Creative Audigy 2 ZS to YSP 800)

Username: Bahree

Post Number: 1
Hi All,
Sorry I am don't know too much about Audio stuff and cables, etc in general and am looking for your help.

I have Medica Center PC with the Creative Audigy 2 ZS as my sound card. I also have the Yamaha YSP 800 speakers. Right now the speakers are connected as simple 2.1 Speakers via the 3.5 mm single cable to the ananalog input into the speakers and they work fine.

I want to connect the digital out from the sound card to the digital input into the YSP 800's. The sound card digital out is a 3.5 mm and the input in the speakers is a Optical Digital.

I thought I need standard Toslink converter to 3.5mm converter (like this: http://www.memoryforless.co.uk/store/images/cables/cab073_s.gif). Which of course would plug into the sound card and the other end of the optical cable into the speakers. And I set my output to Digital and select 5.1 and voila it was supposed all work.

Alas no! I bought a similar convertor from ASK (Maplin did not have it) and plugged it all in - set the correct output on the sound card but nothing - no sound - zilch.

So the question is what am I doing wrong? It could also be that the cable I bought was not working properly. Also I have never used the digital input in the speakers, so theoretically that could be an issue as well - however the analogue input is working just fine - so the odds of that are low.

I will return this and get another cable and try again, but in parallel I wanted to post this here and find out if I was doing something obviously wrong!

Thanks in advance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us