What metals are each cable made of?

Username: Eashonk

Arcola, Il Usa

Post Number: 1
I want to know where i can buy raw material that is used to make audio cable, video cable, & coaxle I would like to buy it in 1/8" to 1/16" gauge sheets.
But I don't even know what it is made of so I can't just go looking for the material until I find that out.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8498
That is a pretty lofty goal.

Arcola, Il Usa

Post Number: 2
why would this be difficult, i probably don't even need sheets that thick, just thick enough to carry a signal. say with good fidelity over a 100 square foot area. (10'x10')

or, even for now any material that would hold a signal remaining thin enough to not be unreasonable to work with or too difficult to acquire, due to cost or scarcity.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8721
You wrote down "raw materials. so you want to make your own cables out of raw materials. Do you have a way to insulate the copper? How are you going to manufacture the insulation?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 477
Allen: Cables are made with a machine that draws the raw copper into a wire while inserting the wire into an insulator. The cost of these machines is astronomical, from tens of thousands of dollars to upwards of millions, depending on the scale of automation and complexity. If you want to experiment with cables the best route is to buy some pre-made bulk cable from someplace like Parts Express and perhaps experiment and customize it with further shielding and shrinkwrap mylar foil.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8729
I don't think he can grasp that concept.

Arcola, Il Usa

Post Number: 3
first of all, drop the attitude kids, no need to act like a couple of prix.

I just want a flat sheet of metal that can transmit an audio or video signal from one end to another, don't worry about the insulation or all that other crap i just want it to carry a signal from one corner to another.

let me worry about the rest, i just want to know what the wires are made of.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 478
Allan: I don't recall displaying an attitude, just trying to be informative. If all you need is a conductor then go to Lowe's or HD and buy some copper tubing used for plumbing-refridgerator water line, although you could probably buy a cheap RCA or Coax cable for probably less. BTW, what kind of project is this-sounds a little strange.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8743
Wonderful way of resorting to name calling. You have a seemingly bizarre project and we are just curious. You are a noob, trying to ask for help on this forum, we are merely trying figure out what you are trying to accomplish. This is what this forum is all about, a way to exchange information. You asked for some and we asked for the same. We don't usually get inquiries like yours around here, you are the first.

Oh, and I did state "a way to insulate the copper".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us