HDMI Help

Bronze Member
Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 16
I have a Samsung 5067W I bought an HDMI cable to connect my Scientific Atlantic 8300 cable box to the TV to free up a component input. I can only get the TV to work on the HD channels, I get a message of "mode not supported" on all other channels. I have been on the phone with SAmsung who says its a Cablevision problem and Cablevision who tells me they do not support the HDMI connection they only offer it due to requests. Does anyone have any ideas?????

Username: Waynesnside

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1
Even though this is old still wondering if there was any other info on this I'm having similar problems with my new set-up.

I can't get a signal into my TV when I turn the TV off and back on again, when I run component I don't have a problem only when using the HDMI out of the cable box. At times I turn on a HD channels and the TV comes back on other times I do that and I still can't get a signal into the TV.

The TV is new and I just got the box on Monday.

Bronze Member
Username: Aid4hearing

CA U.S.A

Post Number: 22
Okay Mr. Wayne Phillips, maybe i can offer some info of help. I am a service technician with a cable company, and if Cablevision is telling u that the HDMI output on the box is not supported, i would get a second opinion from a tech ops supervisor cause the cssr on the phone might, and most likely doesn't have a clue of whats going on in the real world and is feeding u false info. Trust me, it happens all the time and being a service tech in the fisld i hear this sort-of thing all the time. If for some odd reason after getting a reliable answer from a reliable source at Cablevision, and the answer is in fact, HDMI output IS NOT ACTIVE/SUPPORTED ON THE BOX. Well, thats the answer to your problem. But lets just assume that it is active, like in the system and Cable company that i represent, i have recieved some service call appointments, where the subscriber has the same issues you are discribing. 1st, some hd televisions aren't the most user friendly. If your wtching a Hi-def source then the tv must be manually switched to a HD input via remote control. And if you are watching a standard/ analog or even digital signal source, well, then you have to manually switch to a analog input on your tv, composite, s-video, Rf/ant in etc. and guess what? It just so happens, Phillips magnovox sets and Samsung (certain models only) have this lame issue. Ya see usually the tv will scale or adapt to the signal type no matter if its a Hd 16:9 format or the regular 4:3 analog and no matter what input your tv is currently on. Ofcorse, if u know what you're looking at and what input u r on, it is easy to tell if your tv is on the wrong input. Also, some tvs when watching analog/digital signal sources thru their Hd component input cables, don't look too grainy so u wouldn't even have to switch to a analog input for a slightly better picture. then ofcourse u have other tv brands who make it almost a must for it to be even worth looking at. And ofcourse your situation, the tv won't scale to the image source at all. so, make sure u have two differnt outputs hooked up out of the cable box. A HD one,component HDMI, and a second one for standard/digi signals both going to inputs on your tv. A word of advice. Try staying away from your tv's wide zoom or zoom settings. this can confuse the not to savvy vid watcher. get use to knowing what looks right and when pictures should be cropped and when they shouldn't be cropped. If u are on a hidef channel and u know that that channel is always in hidef like the discovery hd theater channel. well then the picture should never be cropped. if it is, u r not on a Hd input of your tv. and vice versa.usually having the tv set to normal or 4:3 override is good. In your specific case though u won't see anything at all, so that would be a indication to switch inputs on your tv. as long as u have the two outputs i mentioned above both plugged in to your set. Hope this helped, and in the future, don't buy Samdung i mean samsung. let me knoe if anything i relayed here shed some light.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 91
Gents:
I have a Cablevision 8300 HD DVR box with HDMI output to my Samsung HDTV. All works well. Did you use the HDMI Wizard to set up the setop box?
This wizard is a part of the 8300 and should help you get connectivity between the two devices.

You will find directions for HDTV Setup Wizard on page 4 of the "Getting Started with the iO DVR and iO DVR for HDTV".

With the TV powered ON and the iO box OFF press both the GUIDE and INFO keys onthe set top box at the same time. A menu will appear and perhaps you need to go into the SD setup to get your Standard Definition setup working.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us