Help setting up PS2 W/half optical?

Username: Fmbeachkid057

Fort Myers, FL United States

Post Number: 1
Hello, I have a old style PS2 and my Surrround sound setup is a Philips MX 5600D( http://www.usasupport.philips.com/productDocuments.html?ProductCode=MX5600D/37&subCat=HOME_THEATER_SYSTEM_DVD_SU_US_CONSUMER ) I would like to halve 5.1 channel Surround while playing my PS2. heres the dilemma, I bought the digital optical cable, but my setup doesnt have that input. The way I have it setup now is I hooked my TV up with Red and White RCA cables to the back of my amp. and I play PS2 through that sound, but on the back of my amp it has inputs/outputs for Digital. What is that? Can I get some sort of adaptor or anything to use it with that? here is a pic of the back inputs, If you cant read it click on the PDA on the main page of my stereo.Upload

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 390
Tyler: Just connect the optical output of the PS2 to the optical input on the unit with the cable and you are ready to go. I know little about gaming but I'm fairly sure the PS2 games are encoded with a Dolby Digital soundtrack so set the unit in the DD mode. You will probably need to disconnect the RCA "red-white" from the unit as you will no longer need it. Also check your PS2 settings menu to be sure the sound is set for digital output.

Post Number: 2
Thats the thing, my amp thing doesnt have the optical. only digital? whatever that is.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 391
Tyler this input will be either optical(Toslink) or SPDIF (coaxial). Acoording to the product link you posted it is an optical connection. Try to hook it up it should fit.

Jukey
Unregistered guest
the connector is square. it's called TOSlink. It's on both the AMP and the PS2. you have to make sure the PS2 is outputing to the optical jack, otherwise you won't get any sound. you also have to set-up your amp so it outputs the digital in signal. probably by pressing an "input" button of some sort. the amp decodes DTS so you don't have to worry if the signal is DD or DTS.
here is an AV forum thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29829

if that doesn't help post again

Post Number: 3
No. the thing is there is no Optical port on my Amp. only the PS2. There is a "Digital" input and output on the back of my amp it is located in the bottom-middle-left They are the RCA *STYLE* PORTS.. Look at the picture. It is 2 spaces to the left from the RCA cables in the picture. Is there some type of adaptor that plugs into one of the ports and the other side of the adaptor has an optical input?

Post Number: 4
http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tr-08300.htm

I think that is what I am looking for.

Jukey
Unregistered guest
that's bad product labeling. the introduction leaflet said "1x optical".

hope you problem was solved.

Post Number: 5
ok..Well do you understand what i was saying now? Is that what I need? are there any of them for under 20$

Jukey
Unregistered guest
i don't know if any are under $20 but that should meet your needs. it changes optical to coax and the one on your reciever is coax. if it doesn't work then the converter is faulty.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us