Connecting a TV to a Reciever

Eagle
Unregistered guest
Ok. I just bought a nice Harman Kardon Reciever a set of really nice speakers. Now forget the dvd player for now. Since I have that installed and working with the reciever.

Now I have a 36' Sylvania TV. It has rca slots in the front of the tv ment for consol imput where my xbox connects to. It has a coxail cable connection in the back my cable from the wall comes in from. And there are 3 rca slots that i know for a fact does imput.. but not sure about output.

My main question is... how do i connect the TV to the reciever so I can get surround sound when i wanted.. and just the speakers in teh TV when the reciever is off.

I would also like to connect the xbox to the surround sound. However the only way i can see doing that is connecting the audio to the surround sound. I dont want to do this because i dont always want to have the surround sound on.

Any Ideas? or nice diagrams? thanks

Lester
Unregistered guest
Your TV should have audio out jacks (red/white RCA;s).
If it doesn't, you have a couple options...
> Get a TV that has audio out puts. Make sure they're
FIXED AUDIO OUTS.
> Buy a cheap VCR that has audio outs. Use the VCR
as your tuner and feed the TV with the audio outs.
> And if you really feel ambitious.. get (or build) a
speaker A/B switch. Re-direct the TV's internal
speaker wire to feed the A/B switch. Re-connect the
TV speakers through A. Now, here's the work around..
Get a speaker to line level converter. Ths Sonance
OP-3 comes to mind. Connect it to B on the switch.
You now have a "variable audio out" from the TV.
That feeds the receiver. Remember, the TV's volume
control will determine how much signal is sent to the
receiver.

Sonance op-3

http://www.sonance.com/subs/products.php?category_id=36&option=get_category&thre ad_one_cat_id=29&thread_one_cat_name=Electronics&thread_two_cat_id=&thread_two_c at_name=

I've never tried this, but in theory, it should work!

L.

Eagle
Unregistered guest
Well.. im not sure if the RCA Out in the back or not. There are 3 RCA ports back there. But it does not say in or out. There are 3 RCA slots in the front. And i know those are IN only.

FTH
Unregistered guest
It should say something on the rear panel. No?
Three RCA's says one of two things..

Video in (yellow) Audio in (red/white-stereo) = 3

Video in Audio in (single-mono) + Audio out (mono) =3

Eagle
Unregistered guest
Ok the 3 in the back and the 3 in the front are Input only.. no output. So how do I get surround sound from the TV to my reciever? I have a VCR and a DVD player. I would use my VCR but that means i have to turn it on.. then turn the TV to 4 then turn the VCR to the channel i wanna watch.. I just want to watch TV.. and if i want surround sound turn on the reciver and hit the TV button... can it be set up to do that?

Eagle
Unregistered guest
Basically since i dont have a cable box in the room im doing this to. Im left without a way to get the audio to the reciever.

So Im looking for a device that I can run the coaxail cable through.. and then from that device have the coaxial continue runing to the TV from this device and also from the device have the audio rca cables run to the reciever so it recieves the audio.. so that if I wanted to.. just turn on the reciever and it will work.

Also.. just an Idea.. the reciever has a coaxial in.
Can I get a coaxial spliter and run anthor coax cable to the reciever?

I had a drawing but I dont have a way to host it. So I hope this is enough information

Eagle
Unregistered guest
And just thinking it over... i could always go out and get a cable box from my cable provider >< but thats an extra 7 dollars a month

Lester
Unregistered guest
>>" I have a VCR and a DVD player. I would use my VCR but that means i have to turn it on..<<"
Yes.

>>" then turn the TV to 4 then turn the VCR to the channel i wanna watch.. I just want to watch TV.. and if i want surround sound turn on the reciver and hit the TV button... can it be set up to do that?<<"
Yes...With the audio out from the VCR going in to the receiver. Just use the TV by itself when you want TV only.

Unregistered guest
i have a samsung dvd player but it wont work with my tv to get surround sound for hockey games and just stuff on tv????. I have a technics reciever aswell and I dont know how to hook it all together so I can get my tv on the surround sound. what should i do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us