DVI 'Y' cable instead of an expensive switch?

Anonymous

I have a Mitsubishi 55" CRT Projection with a single DVI input. I'd like to connect a cable box and an upconverting DVD player to this TV via that DVI port without paying $200-300 for a DVI switch. Is there such a thing as a DVI 'Y' cable, or would that cause problems, even if only one of the input devices were on at a time? Thanks...

Username: Bb62

Post Number: 1
Would using the Y-cable cause damage to the TV if both sources were on at the same time? I don't see the value of a $200-300 DVI switch ether.

Rafe
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know the answer to this one? I had exactly the same question, and have been watching this one, but nobody has posted a response to it.

Bronze Member
Username: Murraymcleod

Post Number: 17
I'm the anonymous poster who started this thread and I couldn't find a Y cable anywhere, so bought a less expensive DVI two-way switch with remote that works well. My Harmony Univ remote handles all the switching, so it's pretty painless. I think the switch I got only cost a little over $100. Let me know if you need more info and I'll dredge up the particulars...

Rafe
Unregistered guest
Please do post the particulars!

Bronze Member
Username: Murraymcleod

Post Number: 18
Actually, looking back through my records, the cost was $199 for a 2:1 switch that is HDCP compliant, but that is still cheaper than most switches I've seen on eBay. The 4:1 switch is $249, and the units are very small and compact. The company is AVLinx Systems out of Frisco, TX. Phone number is 888-472-8729 or Google their web site which has an on-line store. Their customer service is also very good as they had to help me "modify" the HDCP settings on my upconverting Samsung DVD player (they knew the remote codes for that Samsung!) as it was non-standard and wouldn't work with the switch at first.

romanparker32
Unregistered guest
go to pacific cable .com and they have dvi "y" cables for $50.

Username: Emaculentballz

I went to http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIY%2D2

It was the only site that I found to have dvi y cables.

jukey
Unregistered guest
that type of Y cable isn't a switch, it's a splitter for one source and two displays. i also highly doubt there are Y cables for two sources and one display. that is unless there is a small switch that can toggle sources. i have yet to find one.

Sorry, that may have been no help

Username: Skydiverc

Mountain view, Ca USA

If you use a "Y" cable it is important to not have more than 1 ACTIVE source.
The problem is that you wont hurt the TV but you might damage either the Cable box or DVD player.
This is due to the fact that in electronics you can't have an output tied to an output.
That is why you spend $200 for the switch.
Hope this clarified the questions raised in this thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us