THX monster cable v.s. monster cable

Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 5
Does the THX monster cable, sound any better than a regular monster cable. or do you need THX speakers. Also, would a DTS or Dolby D movie sound right on THX speakers, since they made specifically for THX?

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 29
i have heard that THX is not that a big of a deal when matching equipment or cables. i think theres a lot of stuff out there that isnt labeled THX but still performs very well. if you are thinking of using monster's line of THX cables, the ones that are grey i think, i believe they are actually of less build quality than their other lines of cable.

Post Number: 9
Thank you.

E. Ramsey
Unregistered guest
When you buy the Monster brand THX cables you are paying more money for extra shielding in these cables. Their standard interlink brand will more than suffice, as these are adequately shielded. I think that you are a little confused about THX Monkey Man Jack. THX is not a true surround sound format but rather a system of standards applied to the video and audio content of films by Lucas Films. THX enhancements such as timber matching of speakers and volume regulation in channels, are applied to dolby digital or dts soundtracks. So when a reciever or surround processor is in "THX mode" it is actually a dolby digital or dts soundtrack. As far as speakers go thx certified speakers are speakers that have been certified by Lucas films for certain parameters such as impedence, sensitivity, and frequency response. For example the difference between a monster THX optical digital cable and a monster standard optical cable is a gold plated metal locking connector on the thx one as opposed to a plastic one on the standard cable. Since an optical cable transmits light as opposed to an electrical signal, a fancy gold plated metal connector is hardly necessary. It's like the diffrence between a seiko and a timex , both will tell time accurately it's just that one costs a bit more than the other for marginally better build quality. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Thank You E. Ramsey! That helps alot!

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
I like the way THX sounds, it's great for watching movies late at night because the sounds are not as loud, they are more even, but why is the bass not very bassy?

E. Ramsey
Unregistered guest
Listen to any of the Star Wars movies Monkey M J through a high current receiver like a HK like I have or an NAD or Denon with full range low impedence(4 ohm) speakers like I have and you will hear and feel PLENTY of LFE effects. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
What about Onkyo? I have the Tx-ds787, and I listened to Star wars episode 2, it sounded surround wise, but the bass was not very bassy. Is my receiver or what? My sub is a 100 watt 12 inch jensen. Could that be it? I think it's 100 watts, the manuel says 100 but the back of the sub says 200 watts. Anyways is any of this contributing to the problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Two questions.

1.What does LFE mean, and what does it do?

2. Would my subwoofer sound better if it had a monster cable connecting it and not a 99 cent RCA cable?

E. Ramsey
Unregistered guest
LFE is an acronym for "low frequency effects". This is known as the .1 channel in a 5.1 surround sound or in the case of dolby digital ex 6.1. Simply this is the "bass" channel. I wouldn't use a super cheapo 99 cent cable but you don't necessarily have to buy a 60$ monster either. You should go to best buy and buy a acoustic research brand subwoofer cable. I think they are about 20$ for a 25 foot link. They make decent cables comparable to monster and a bit cheaper. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics.

E. Ramsey
Unregistered guest
I doubt it is your sub itself. Check the volume control on it(sub), and see if it is high enough. Also check the volume of each channel of your receiver and if the correct speaker size is set(small or large) for each speaker. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us