Digital Component Video Cables?


New member
Username: Resonance

Post Number: 4
Registered: Jun-04
Hi, I recently purchased a set of Daiyo Digital Component Cables. It's supposed to be a rather reliable mid range Japanese brand of cables. The instructions on the card say to connect to YCbCr inputs/outputs.

I'm using the Sony DVP-NS300 DVD Player, which is an interlaced/non-progressive DVD Player. Its Component Video Out is labelled YCbCr as well.

From what I have read up:
YCbCr usually indicates interlaced/non-progressive.
YPbPr usually indicates both interlaced and non-progressive.

YCbCr sends digital signals.
YPbPr sends analog signals.

There is no such thing as digital component for consumers like us.

YCbCr/YPbPr are often mislabelled in Japanese brands, which doesn't really explain anything to me.

While some say the two connections mean the same and can be connected interchangeably.

Rather confusing for someone who has been using composites for 11 years with a Philips analog TV.

What I'm wondering is whether these cables will work with a Sony FD Trinitron KV-DA34M61 which has not arrived yet, but is very similar to this model .

I would also like to know why these cables are called Digital, is there a difference? Or is just a fancy name?

Oh and will these cables (supposedly YCbCr) work with a progressive DVD Player (presumably with YPbPr outputs) in the future? Any help would be much appreciated.

New member
Username: Resonance

Post Number: 5
Registered: Jun-04
Correction: YPbPr usually indicates both interlaced and *PROGRESSIVE*.

Unregistered guest
there is no such thing as a digital component cable.
YCbCr and YPbPr are ther same thing.

E. Ramsey
Unregistered guest
Chris Mcmahon is correct. A component video signal is analog, even if it is progressive scan. DVI and HDMI are true digital video outputs. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us