Infinity Kappa speaker sets help

Username: Nbacker

Post Number: 1
I am planning on purchasing 2 sets of Infinity Kappa speakers for my car. I am buying a set of:

6.5" Infinity Kappa 62.5i speakers for my front doors with 75w RMS and 225w peak power and a set of

6x9" Infinity Kappa 692.5i speakers for my back seat with 110w RMS and 330w peak power.

My question is I want to buy a pretty decent amp, not a shitty one, but not a top of the line one. Just an amp that will power these speakers like they should for wicked sq. If the speakers are 75w RMS and 110w RMS and 225w peak and 330w peak, then whta kind of amp should I be looking at? I don't want anything too expensive but not TOO cheap either. I am also from Canada so in the end I'll have to end up paying the exchange. But can you guys help me out and give me a few names of amps I can look into to power both sets of speakers. I don't want an amp with a little less power to power these or anything more then what's needed. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Graeme_k

Somerville, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 28
The JL 300/4 slash series, not to expensive and very good SQ.

75wrms x 4

happy listening

Post Number: 2
Hey guys, I dunno if I really need your help on what I posted before, but maybe some comments couldn't hurt? I found an amp on ebay to power both sets of speakers. I've been doing research on many amps for a few hours now and came up with a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:4 500w 4 channel amp for $155 which is a perfect price for me. It's brand new, never been opened, not refurbished or anything. That's the price range I've been looking for. I've heard from both my cousin and a few buddies that PG is a really good manufacturer and I'm just curious what you guys think (not the BEST, but good)? I know It's not the best amp you can get out there but for both sets of my Infinity Kappa speakers do you think It's a good amp that will sound pretty good? It's 80w RMS x 4 so It's perfect. It's only 5w over the RMS wattage for the 6.5s so it shouldn't really affect them at all, and even though the 6x9s are 110w RMS, 75w won't be that bad considering their in the back and It's still a good amount of power. Do you guys think that's good enough? If it isn't I can always resell it, etc. Thanks a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 318
The PG is an OK amp. Not what we'd usually recommend around here, but not Pyramid or Jensen, either.

Regarding the power, 5W over RMS is fine; you can usually go to 66% of Peak rating without problems. However, on the flipside 75W into a 110W set leaves room for blowing the tweeters. Listen responsibly.

Overall, I would suggest ditching the rear 6x9; you'd be better off without anything or (if you insist) a set of 5.25" components mounted in adapters. Then use the cash difference to get better 6.5s up front or a better amp.

-Matt

osc
Unregistered guest
You can try for one of the following as well:

MTX Thunder684 (85x4 @ 14.4)
JBL GTO75.4 (75x4 @ 14.4)
Kicker 600.4 (75x4 @ 13.8)

Post Number: 3
I didn't know PG is that bad. I've always heard that they are good. I originally looked at JBL amps for my speakers but I figured unless It's absolutely necissary I don't really feel the need to blow tons of money on an amp just for my speakers. I'll buy a supreme amp for my 2 10" 10.1D Kappa Perfect subs. I am partial to Infinity as my Dad works for a car dealership and has always had vehicles with Infinity speakers. I've always wanted to buy some top of the line Infinity speakers compared to factory Infinity, so I got the Kappa series. But anyway, is the PG amp for both of my sets of speakers THAT bad? Like will it be that bad that I won't enjoy the speakers? I got a pretty good deal on the amp on ebay as well so that's mainly why I bought it. I am planning on ditching the rear 6x9's because I've heard that they are not that good and I know that as well. I just didn't know if smaller speakers in the back would be worse or not. It's just that I'm always carrying a full car load of 5 people and want to show off the SQ of the speakers in the back as well as lots people ride in the back as well. And my car is known for It's acoustics and it is a roomy car where new speakers in the back would help alot too. But anyway, are 5.25's good enough for the backseat? Volume wise? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
I didn't mean to sound too critical; PG amps are okay by specification, but are unproven with their latest generation (they just haven't been a "good" name long enough).

Infinity makes very nice speakers for the money, but they make lousy amps. JBL is also just an "OK", though they are moreso by name than by product. Also realize that Infinity and JBL are the same company (Harman).

If it were me in your shoes, I would get a good set of 5.25 components that take 75W, and mount them in a nice 6x9 adapter plate (or make it myself with 1/2" MDF) for the rear deck. Preferably, you'll get a set that you can attenuate the tweeter down so that it doesn't draw from the front sound stage.

The 10.1D subs are really sweet for the money; very tight punch in those. Spoil them. :-)

I'd offer my SQ MMats amp, but it's only 250W/channel, so somewhat under the 350W you'd be looking for to get the most of 10.1s.

If you've got an idea of what you want to spend, we can probably recommend some 5.25s for ya.

-Matt

Post Number: 4
Also, the 5.25's for the back are 55w RMS and 165 w peak so if I'm giving 80w RMS to all 4 channels and the 6.5s are gettin 80w from 75w RMS which isperfect, what about for the 5.25s? I figured out that 80w's into 55w RMS for the 5.25s are gettin 48% of the peak power, thats not 66% so It's alright. But really, how mcuh is it going to affect the speakers? Since I'm giving them 35w more. Will it be alright? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
They'll be alright, but louder than the fronts.

Ideally, you'll find a 60W-75W set that has a passive crossover; that way they'll always be a little bit behind the fronts (in terms of power) and the resistor in the crossover will limit your chances of blowing the tweeters through clipping.

However, if you want everything matched just so, the Kappa 50.5CS would be a good set at the right RMS. Slap a tweeter attenuator in there (after the crossover!) to drop back a few dBs and you'll be set.

-Matt

Post Number: 6
Thanks Matt. Appreciate your help. It's not that I don't know alot about car audio, cause I know quite a bit. It's just that I don't wanna screw myself over and am just overlooking stuff with different people and getting other people point of views. I plan on getting my speakers in about 2-3 weeks and then the subs and sub amp in a month or so. I'll probably get my cousin to help me install everything when I gvet the speakers. I'll probably post some questions later about installing the speakers so I don't screw anything up. Thanks again. See yah.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us