2 sets of Focal 165 KRX2
Running of a Focal Solid 4 ch 100wrms x4 @ 2ohm

I'm looking at replacing my kicker qs65.2

I'm after the loudest sq speaker I can get

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1378
If you are looking for best of the best and have that kindof money to spend, I would say go for it. The Focal 165 KRX2 are top of the line Speakers.

Only other thing I would compair them with would be some Rainbow Speakers

Bronze Member
Username: John253a

Aust.

Post Number: 82
Ive never herd any of the rainbow stuff and going just off price they do a cheap line upto £400 then they start again at £1800 up to £11500 a pair then you convert that $$ For something ive never herd and cant get any warranty in aust. For that puts them out of the picture

And the focal droped of at my door are $2500 for the lot
So that the price range im lookn at

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 413
The best from focal is the Utopia series and are very expensive, also to note is that different brands are not plain better one from another, but different type sound, the rainbows are a more laid back very detailed sound, the focals are very dynamic sound annoying to some people specially for their sharper highs. Overall very expensive speakers that should be mated with high end equipment and installation to be worth the price.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 84
pretty much what im after is a sq speaker system that will keep up in loudness to the subs im use to listening to (2x kicker 15"L7 ported) of corse there not the subs that im using but comparing loudness to.

I hate with a passion cars that have huge subs with ground shacking bass and stock speakers off HU.
I want speakers that will give an even listen level so as i can play it loud and still here the words

my last ride before my current had 3 pairs of kenwood 7x10, 1pair of kw 6" 3 ways and 2x kw sw303 12" subs sealed and i was hitting mid 140's back 2000 till only 2years ago when i sold car,
now ive got 2 set on kicker 65.2 and kicker 2x 8" and 1x 12"
and the sound is ok but nothing worth raving about.

so i need something that will surpass what i had in volume and sq

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Ok, those old school systems based on oval speakers and subs sounded very well balanced, and the reason is that those oval speakers are really midbass drivers + tweeters.

If you want to get loud evenly adding midbass drivers will really make a difference, depending on the space you have on the doors you could have 2 8" or 7" midbass drivers and then add a 6 3/4" component set. I think I read somewhere that Glasswolf has a Dynaudio component set that includes 8" midbass drivers, maybe ask him those don't come cheap but you will need just one set.

The other way is buying standalone midbass drivers on a 4 channel amp 2 channels for the midbass drivers and 2 for the comps. Say a 150W RMS x 4.

Also I don't think you need to go as high as focal if your main goal is to go loud with decent quality I guess that a 300-400 high power component set plus midbass drivers will do well enough to keep up with the subs.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14524
if you want midbass drivers and you're already looking at new components anyway, just go for a good 3-way set for the front stage. DLS, DynAudio, and Rainbow all make outstanding 3-way sets that include a tweeter, midrange, and midbass driver for each side of the car.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 85
I dont really want to make custom door inserts/trim that way i can spend more on a better setup, im looking at 6.5" as they are a direct replacement for stock one, i will be dynamating the whole car,
I looked at the focal 165krx2 as there rated for 100wrms with 93db 1w1m
And as i can only run 1x 6.5" speaker in each door i figered they should go loud with heaps of sq and at only 400rms between all 4 my stock alt. Can handle that no probs with a sub or 2 as well

I was also looking at running 2 or 3 focal 40v1 subs (16")
Either 2 in 2cuft ea or 3 in 1.5cuft ea ported at around 28-35hz (space permitting)

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 86
They will also be coxaly mounted

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
If you want to go loud with them 6.5"s wont cut it, there are sets with 6 3/4" midbass drivers, those are a little louder and deeper and fit 6.5" factory locations without modification.

These are 100W RMS with sensitivity of 91dB:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136C2650/JL-Audio-C2650.html

Both sound as loud because Focal specifies sensitivity as dB@2.83 Volts not power sensitivity: dB 1w/1m which is lower in most cases.

Also reach 10 Hz lower than focal which blends better than 70Hz with the subs so more like the oval speakers you had.

This is just a suggestion there will be other low reaching sets, even expensive ones that will solve better the problem, I love Focal don't get me wrong but they are not known for deep bass performance and are very expensive.

Now you can use the Focals if you see a way to place elsewhere 6.5", 6"x9" , 7" or 8" midbass drivers elsewhere in your car.

Bronze Member

Aust.

Post Number: 87
Joe are they slimmer to the JL C3-650 as i have a mate with theise running them at 100rms and they are loud and bassie considering he has only 1 set and no sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Oh, man don't tell me that you already heard them and are exactly what you are looking for!

Anyways I am not saying that you should buy those JLs (although I think they fit) I am saying that you have options that will probably fit better as far as LF extension goes, well at least you could find something from them that will do 55-60Hz and that would be better, you see 7"x10" do 40Hz easy and that's way lower. But if you already liked them just get in your way man.

Bronze Member
Username: Cadillac

Post Number: 41
im going to check to see what focal is about today

Gold Member

Post Number: 1269
Focal is a superb french speaker manufacturer.

http://www.focal.com/

I think their top car audio component set is around $US 8000.00
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us