Cracking New Speakers

Username: Thepogo

Post Number: 1
I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado. I am installing Alpine sps 600 speakers. I installed the 2 back speakers and they sound great. When putting in the drivers side front, the speaker cracks as the volume is turned up. I tried both new speaker and they both cracked. I am just switching out speaker for speaker. Nothing out of the ordinary. Any suggestions????

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 502
blown speakers or else the speaker wire just wasn't connected very good

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14256
that's distortion caused by not having enough clean power to atain the desired volume.
head units only put out about 15 watts per channel.
consider getting a 50W x 4 channel or so amplifier for the front/rear speakers.
it'll make a world of difference. It'll also help prevent damaging your new speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16295
glasswolf knows his stuff x2

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14277
2 things to check
look at the wiring harness in the door jamb. If that harness is worn or damaged, that can cause a break in the signal, and audible distortion. (had this happen in a jeep I owned)
secondly, it could just be a lack of clean power from the ehad unit, and lower end type-S speakers. If you want a real improvement in sound, get a decent 4 channel amplifier for front/rear speakers. This will stop the distortion from the head unit and give better volume and clarity.
50 watts per channel is plenty. head units, while claiming to produce 50-60WPC, in reality only put out about 12-15 watts per channel, and above about 3/4 of full volume, it's very high in distortion.
you just can't get a lot of clen power from an amplifier circuit in such a small, compact space as the radio's chassis, and without the use of a dedicated transformer, which radios do not have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us