Why not more cone size options?

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 382
I REALLY REALLY wish that jl wasnt the only ones who supply 13.5 " cones... I mean, I really wish say that there would be a 10,12,13.5,and 15 option. Why dont more companys do this?? seems like a real good idea

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1568
how would other companies benefit from adding more r&d costs, assembly costs, and parts costs that would come with adding another cone size.

I've never heard of any aural advantage to a 13.5" speaker as compared to a 12" or 15". I see JL's use of it as more a a marketing technique to make something "different"

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11165
Thats exactly what it is, a stupid marketing technique to make it proprietary. Just like their stupid 1.5 ohm coils.

Other companies don't do it b/c they're not full of themselves.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2284
^ exactly. Also if more companies offered it how popular would it really be? Would it be worth the extra machining/ tooling costs? Most people want 8, 10, 12, 15, 18" drivers, so other sizes just aren't that profitable. Also where does JL have a w7 15? They just want their flagship driver to stand out in the crowd somehow.

They're not the only company to offer uncommon sizes. Now voice coil options would be a positive thing in some upper end subs where people are debating between running "half" an ohm or not.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 383
i disagree completely, if someone cant decide between whether to go with a 15 or just whatever really.. they want a little more bass(which more cone area will obviously provide) then a 12 than whats the problem. You talk about "cost" to make a bigger cone... well then yea... than they RAISE the price of the sub... duh, just like why theres a difference in price from getting a 10 to upgrading to a 12... or a 12 to 15..e price just goes up another 20-30 thats all. I would love to get a 13 or 13.5 inch cause i am in the middle on whether to get a 12 or 15 so yea..

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 293
its all about business, obviously if it was worth doing it would be done..
also car stereo shops would also start having to have a supply of boxes made for 13.5 in subs..
just not worth the money to invest in, and people are much more interested in sizes available now 8,10,12,15,18
there isn't a huge demand for 13.5 in subs compared to other sizes

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 928
how would other companies benefit from adding more r&d costs, assembly costs, and parts costs that would come with adding another cone size.

I've never heard of any aural advantage to a 13.5" speaker as compared to a 12" or 15". I see JL's use of it as more a a marketing technique to make something "different"

exactly what that guy said^ READ^

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 426
What if you cant decide between a 13.5 and a 15? are you going to go for a 14.25?

The cone size of a sub is irrelevant when it comes to predicting overall performance. A 12" sub from another company may preform just as well as JL's 13.5 when it comes to decibel levels and sound quality. What you should be looking at is the subs overall parameters and design.

BTW, none of JL's lines offer both a 13.5 and a 15. Its either one or the other.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 636
or in troys case 21" subs.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2288
I'm not talking about increased price due to larger size. I'm talking about having to create a whole new product. To you it's an extra 50 dollars, but to a company it's new baskets, cones, and tons of testing.

Yes I have 21s, but Fi was supposed to release 22s 1-2 years ago. I was waiting on those and Fi decided at this time it wasn't cost effective. Totally understandable since they may sell less than 100 a year.

Just fit the most cone area you're willing to give up. If you can fit a 15 go for a 15. You said what if someone wants more than 1 12s output, but they'll eventually get tired of 1 13.5 and end up with a 15 anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 76
Focal, e.d. both offer "odd sized" subs. my 2cents worth.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22984
I feel the request. I so badly wanted SI to produce an 18" Mag it hurt. No dice. You get what you get.

Can anyone imagine an 18" Mag and what it can do?

Oh baby!

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 428
If someone were to get tired of "ONE" 12" subs output, then they could also get a different 12" sub. This whole concept of thinking one 13.5 is going to be louder than all 12s is not very logical.

Your not going to find a car audio company that sells two subs of the same line with a diameter difference of less than 1.5 inches. It would not make sense for them to cater to the few indecisive people.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 251
agreed with perfectcircle, try focal. you will have an odd number sub, and spend an AZZ-LOAD for it. is it really worth it?

sounds like a shitay deal to me, word?

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 203
^x2 (Ben)

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1638
I haven't heard any of there newer subs but i remember a set of focal subs i heard a long while ago. They were extremely expensive compared to a lot of others but i thought they sounded amazing(To me well worth the price).

On another not i cant remember off the top of my head but i know there's another company that makes a 13 inch sub.

I also believe that when it comes to jl there is absolutely no concept that says a 13 inch woofer will out due a 12. Someone saying a comment like that is bashing on jl.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 424
I think JL's marketing approach with the 13.5 is kinda stupid. oh it has like 20% more cone area than a 10" sub, 12% more than a 12" sub, thus making it far superior to anything and everything ...(except 15's, 18's, and 21's)
those aren't the actual percentages, but still, you get the point.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16410
i wouldnt call JL 13.5 stupid - they make totally original products to keep apart from the crowd & not just get a chinese catalog full of sub parts & choose some random parts to make their subs the way others are doing these days

using just baskets as a ex :

look at that infamous 12 spoke or as i call it "spider" basket - soooo many companies using it over the last 5-10 yrs

have noticed some companies even going back to the old 4 spoke design like what the older orion hhca use to use back in 2000\2001 ...some of Treo subs have it & 18" models some companies still use the similar design 6 spoke bigger brother to the smaller 4 spoke

those fairly recent DD G series baskets have begun to show up in other brands as well - american bass , spl dynamics

some brands have begun to use the old TC sounds basket as well - soundstream XXX used it a few ago , so too with eclipse TI series & now ur seeing it in recent T3 audio subs too

im seeing a few new baskets coming out like those on the new RE & Incriminator subs

eventually patents\licenses will be sold for those & other companies will use it but its nice to see something different even though when u drop it in a box nobody sees what behind the cone ....

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 384
im selling my custom 12w7 right now on ebay... i wonder what it will go for.. hoping 300+, it will help a lot that is has THE ALMIGHTY FREAKIN JL MOTOR ROFL , (god i love how the general public thinks jl is supreme, this is where it all pays off). It does sound VERY good, but not better then my custom hybrid tc9 that i got off ebay for 160 SHIPPED lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1641
I just sold a 10w7 for 250 used without a box on craigs list yesterday. I also sold two 500/1's for 500 a couple days before. I will tell you though for one ten everyone thought i had at least 2 12's. I have owned a number of them thats how i know when i hear people bashing them its because they never owned one. They really are excellent subs.

I'm sure you will get 300 for the 12w7 if not i would sell it locally on craigs list.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2447
i understand y companies don't do it... but i also think a 16 or 17 inch sub would be nice for my next ride... i don't have room for an 18... i could get a little bigger than 15. but hey! really jl is just trying to act cool to get moremoney

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 641
16.75" driver lol

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 386
lol at 16.75 , but yea i can kinda understand why 13.5 or 13 isnt around.. cause basically people will be asking , o ok want a 14" or 11" and if that went through then 11.25" LOL that makes sense, but yea joe w7's are for real... they may cost a shi t load but they really do hit every note beautifully. What's funny is i was talking to this guy today who was interested in my icon and hes saying that he sold his two 10 w7s FOR 500 A PIECE...used!!!?????? im like duuude wtf, people can be dumb

Gold Member

Post Number: 1643
damm i wish i got 500 each for mine. Compared to the w6v2's the w7 is extremely sloppy in my opinion. However i still think it is an excellent woofer if you looking for spl but sq is still very important.

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 119
JLs W7s are overrated i think my father had one and it just didnt live up to the performance the shop had said it would so he got rid of it

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15032
Thats exactly what it is, a stupid marketing technique to make it proprietary. Just like their stupid 1.5 ohm coils.

Other companies don't do it b/c they're not full of themselves.

x2

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 1003
they didn't get a decent rep for bs audio equip...overpriced yea , under quality defiantly not . would i pay the extra bcuz of the name? maybe? fu.ck no. theres better out there thats $ friendly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us