Question Regarding Atomic Subs

Username: Bloodforge

Post Number: 1
Hey I'm new here, i'm guessing this maybe covered somewhere or other, but I didn't find to much searching other than some folks with some for sale,

Local shop here in town is running a clearance on some subs they no longer carry, they have a pair of the Atomic Manhattan 12's, they are 4ohm DVC's.
They are selling them for 200 for the pair. Brand new never been used.
Was considering the purchase but am looking for feedback before I make a decision, as i've been away from the car stereo market for years(actually more like a decade) I'm just looking for something I can throw in a sealed enclosure and get some descent SQ from.
Just wondernig if these things are actually worth the 100 a pop. And what type of sound i'll get out of them in a sealed enclosure. I listen to mostly metal as far as music genre goes. Once in a great while I'll listen to some tech such as Daft punk or what not.

BTW they will be powered by an older Punch 500a2 bridged to a 4ohm load, I beleive fosgate manual say's it's actually close to a 700watt RMS at 4ohm load until I can grab something a bit more up to date amp wise. On a fairly tight budget.

Thanks for your input!

Post Number: 2
MA-1290 I believe is the model number I'm not positive tho.
I can find very little online as far as reviews go with them.

Just wondering how they would perform compared to say, a set of Alpine Type R's in a sealed enclosure, with approx 1 cubic per sub.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 993
they are sq subs if im not mistaken
i have never heard them before, but i would guess that they are worth that price

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 336
i have payed more for less.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

KY USA

Post Number: 702
They are worth the money for sure. 100 each is a steal. That sub doesn't miss a note. I would put it close behind a JLW6 in SQ and about like an Alpine Type R in output.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, for the input, think I will go ahead and pick them up. I was torn between type R's and these, since crutchfield recently lowered there type R price to 109, this will save me the hassle of waiting for shipping ect, guess the shop said they didn't sell so well around here, most of the market is to young teenagers in this area, who are only intrested in names like kicker ect.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16122
not saying get the R over the atomic since i have never heard any manhattans

but that crutchfield deal with free s\h for $110 each is a damn good price for any1 who wants a great bang for buck sub , never saw them online for that low ...

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 337
if i had the cash i would get 4 for a project i have.

Post Number: 4
So now someone is trying to sell me there setup of 1 12" L5, DB Drive SPA 600.1, and DB Drive SPA 60.2

I'm assuming this setup would not get me much along the lines of sound quality? I've heard horrid things about the L5 and SQ, making my purchase tomorrow, but it seems like a good deal on the L5 and amps, he only wants 300 for all of it, with the custom box as well, good condition as well, not even so much as a scratch on the subs or amps.
Lord I hate decisions.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2987
Square kicker subs=fail

I've never used a Manhattan, but with it coming from a quality company like atomic, im sure it's good. I would honestly buy them myself for that price if I had use for them.

Post Number: 5
Ended up going with a Atomic 15" Quantum they had there, $250 in three cubic feet sealed(i'm guessing takes up nearly entire trunk and i've got an 03 impala, huge trunk) for a 15 this thing has amazing SQ, and excellent lows. Very happy with it.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2988
Good to hear. Atomic is good stuff

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16129
had a 12" like yours a few yrs ago & the output from that was amazing ...

Post Number: 6
Ok so I figured it was a good deal, I snatched up the 2 12 manhattans as well, for my other vehicle. Looking into amps sub 400$.
They are 500rms, so wondering if a Rockford Fosgate Power T1000-1bd would work well? I have no experience with the new fosgate amps at all I know there older ones were of descent quality. Subs are 4ohm DVC's so I can run them in a 1ohm load off that amp at 1000w. Found that amp at sonicelectronix for 399 shipped. Is there better amps for the price out there?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13752
a audioque 1200.1 is tons cheaper

Post Number: 7
Sound quality good on them?
And where is a good place to shop for them online? I didn't see them on sonic or woofersetc unless i'm looking under the wrong brand name.
Answered my own question via google search, nm.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13753
a sundown saz 1000 is only like 275 thats a higher class amp than the audioque

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2990
The audioque 1200D is a great budget amp, and a good amp in general.

Post Number: 8
OK here comes some more questions lol.
Ok So i'm now a beleiver in the Atomic Sub lines.

Same shop has a set of the manhattan component speakers. said he'd do them for 200 installed.
Just by the SQ of the 12's and the single 15, is it safe to assume I will be equally pleased with the components? It's even harder to find input on there components than it was on the subs. They do sound quite nice on the soundboard in the shop. But I learned fast that doesn't always mean they will sound good in a car.

and @nolimitautosports your comparison to the W6's on SQ was near dead on. Even in the prefab box they stuck them in when I purchased them, working something out with bassman now to have a box done for them, I'm guessing I will only be all that more amazed with them once I get a box to specs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us