FI BL and BTLs.

Silver Member
Username: Deanerjr

Post Number: 230
How would a BTL do powered by only 1000 RMS?
Also, which in the FI family would hit hardest only powered by 1000RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2184
the btl would do fine with 1000 rms, though it's a waste of money not to get a BL or Q in that power range.

Technically the BTL should 'hit hardest' or have the highest spl with any power amount, but it's entirely enclosure and install dependent.

If you plan on doubling the power at some point I would do the BTL., otherwise the other two mentioned drivers would do fine and cost less.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12695
look at the sensitivity of each driver to see which one would have the most excursion with a given amount of power (without knowing how to read a BL curve)

The BTL is an SPL driver, so it's going to be able to handle a lot of power, but I think from memory, the Q is more sensitive and I know it's more of a high excursion SQ sub (SQL) as I'm using a Q series myself, and I was going for SQ, not SPL. I'm not competing with the neighborhood kids with my setup. It's loud enough for anyone in my car with a single sub, and an old Orion amp, so I was aiming more for making it sound as good and detailed as I could, knowing it would be loud enough in any event.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16115
i wud think using 1000wrms of power on a sub rated 2000wrms be like ur using a 2000cc engine in heavy car that usually comes fitted from the manufacturer with a 4000cc engine ...in other words u wont the max amt of performance

imo i would rec u get a sub that is near to what ur amp is rated at & not 1 that is rated double of what ur amp can do , so the BL shud the better match or a Q if u want more SQ than loud

makes me wonder though if ur wanting to use only 1000 for now since u might be upgrading to a more powerful amp later on ? ... if thats the case then well i can understand ur logic & support it .....

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12702
well, remember the power handling of a speaker is just a thermal measure of what the coils can handle (heat) without melting/damage.

If the driver is rated for 2000WRMS, that means the coils are well vented, and used a very heavy winding so they can take that power. It can imply that they have a long throw, too, since most high power subs are designed for SPL or long excursion (like the RE XXX) but you really can't "underpower" a speaker, per se. You just won't get the volume you may want from it. Again, the key to figuring out the kind of power you'll need depends on a number of things, like speaker sensitivity, and enclosure design. The box itself can affect power handling, and efficiency of the driver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
ah, i think i'll be going with the BL 15 instead of the SSD or BTL, BTL demands more power, and the SSD 15 is only rated at 800 rms, and the BL is rated at 1000rms, the amp ill be using is a Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bd that pushes 1000rms at 1 ohm.
So im thinking an FI BL15 on the T1000-1bd wired to one ohm. The ported box will be between 3-5 Cu ft like it says.
Also, i probably will double the power *but i can buy a BTL then*, but not for a good while, due to the running off a stock alt at the moment.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 432
A 15" BL on 1k RMS is going to slam. Post some pics/videos when its up and running.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2013
if all you have is 1000 watts i wouldn't recommend any of the subs your are looking at. I would get something rated for more like 750 rms. its good to have head room for your amplifier but thats my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
so you think the SSD 15 would pound harder on 1000 RMS than a BL 15 would?

Also, should i be going with dual 1 or 2 on the sub? considering ill be wanting to wire the amp to 1 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2014
I mean the bl has more potential to get louder but i dont think you will reach potential with only 1000 watts, never having used a bl tho i cant say one will be louder than another.

I imagine the ssd would almost reach potential with 1000 watts and if you get the flatwind you will gain some efficiency but im pretty sure fi's specs are spec'd for fully loaded models IIRC.

for 1 ohm get a d2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
well at one ohm its 2000W on 1 channel, and ill get the flatwind, cooling, and a d2 sub (:

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16119
i myself havent used a BL so i cant say

but i do know those older model RF T1000-1bd comes with a birthsheet showing about 1300-1400wrms

i think it wud be wise to make a post on the SSA forum Fi section where they wud be plenty Fi users that can give u a hands on review & advice ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
wow, didnt realize they were that underrated. but i just saw some rare birth sheets of 1600 rms ont he RF t1000-1bd, but i suppose that means i should leave my gain down =] lol

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2185
The sensitivity is rated for each 18 inch driver:

SSD: 91.4dB
Q: 91.9dB
BL: 94.1dB
BTL: 94.9dB

This means with any given power the BTL should be louder, followed closely by the BL.

The BTL and Q both have a 28mm xmax, but options on the BTL can extend that some.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
Guess that means ill be with the BL 15, the RF T1000-1bd running at 1ohm on the d2 BL with the cooling and flatwind,
now for the enclosure :D i know i want it ported, but i will be fitting this into the back of an 09 altima coupe >.<

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 288
BL 15,RF T1000? You finally picked a sub?lol I think you'll be happy with that setup. Ever think of running that sub with an AQ 1200? It would save you some money anyway,just a thought.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 369
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/579965.html
there's a box i made for my friend's BL 15

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
looks great smith, im gonna have to get my dimensions of my trunk for whoever makes mine, im throwing it in a 2009 nissan altima coupe, the trunk has a bit of a shape to the upper roof part, which may cause some problems. >.<

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 372
it was a pain in the @$$ to get that box in there. i'd suggest making a cardboard mock up box to make sure it will fit in there before you make it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us