What to buy for a 99 VW Passat for between $2 - 3 grand

Adam M
Unregistered guest
Hello. I have just purchased a 99 VW Passat and want to put in a really nice system. I have always wanted to put a sweet system in my car since I was like 13 and felt the subs in my friend's car pounding into my chest. I am looking to spend between $2 to $3 grand but would like to keep it at around $2500 if possible. The car came with a crappy Sony Xplode cd player that the previous owner had installed and I am guessing the speakers are stock cause they sound like crap.

The car is set up for 6.5 2-way components in the front and rear. I was thinking of replacing whatever is in there now with a set of dynaudio 240GT in the front and a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfects in the rear powered by a JL 300/4

Then I really want to have some sweet subs. I was thinking of possibly getting a pair of JL 10W7s powered by a JL 1000/1.

However I believe that this already will put me well over budget without even taking into account installation, good wiring, a capacitor, and possible a Optima battery and damping my car with dynamat.

Any and all suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 275
For subs get one 12" Adire Brahma. Clearest sub I've ever heard and it is very loud. They cost $349 on their online store. Worth every penny.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 689
Forget the battery unless you listen to the music a lot when the car is off. Consider an alternator, a capacitor will benefit if the alternator is up to par as it will give power on demand. Brahmas are very nice, also consider the ID Max as you can get both the Brahma or ID Max for half the price of a W7 and they are on par. Dynaudio 240GT is a very nice component system, but I wouldn't put Kappa Perfects in the back as they're much brighter sounding and will drown the Dynaudios. Put some midbasses back there, Dynaudio sells independant mids. That way, the harsher tweeter of the Kappa Perfects (kappa perfects are also louder than the Dynaudios) won't drown out the soundstage. I recommend high end Eclipse or Alpine for head units, just go to a store and try them out, see what you get a feel for. JL amps are great, and match really well with the Eclipse 8454 preouts. I think you could find most of it online for around $3000 total, if you want to save a bit then forget rear speakers for now and just put a good 2 channel amp on the Dynaudios.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us