Looking for decent budget speakers

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 135
I recently purchased some new subwoofers and now my current speakers can't keep up with them. I have a budget of about $200-$300 for the speakers, amplifier and wiring. My front speakers are 4x6 so I was thinking about getting 5.25" speakers so it would be easier to install than 6.5".

I currently have a Pioneer DEH 3000IB headunit, some $40 pioneer 4x6 coaxial speakers and 2 RD audio classic subwoofers powered from a hifonics BXI1206d.
I listen to a lot of metal and hard rock, so I would like a lot of midbass so that the bass kicks are much more pronounced.

I have not heard any other aftermarket speakers, so i do not have any experience with them. Also my current ones are powered from my HU which gives 22wrms x4, they do not get loud enough for me.

I have a 2001 chevy cavalier, it came with coaxials stock, so there is currently no mounting for tweeters.

Would I be better off with a set of components or coaxials? And if i do decide to get components how hard would it be to make a custom mounting spot for them?

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 143
Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1200
components for sure!, are you willing to get a amp to also run the comp set with? or break that 200-300 dollar budget to get both a amp and nice set of comp sets?

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 145
I am willing to go up to around 300 or 350 for amp speakers and wiring.

Bronze Member
Username: Lnhiv

Mesa, AZ USA

Post Number: 15
You can fit woofers up to about 2.75" deep behing your doors without a problem, and just drilling a hole to do some flush mounts tweets is easy, so I'd say go with some components.

The sound difference is more than worth it.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1209
hmm well on that budget im currently thinking these
http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=7&idaffiliate=2

now talk to exige.....he's got much better pricing on these. they're a great budget set though. he's on here as Exige Audio. i think his email address is mike@exigeaudio.com.

here's a few good amp choices that come with a full warranty

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_098CO6002/Orion-Cobalt-CO600-2.html?c=3&tp=115&avf= N

and this will work well bridged

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF300/Alpine-MRP-F300.html?c=3&tp=115

Username: Steve_tallica

Post Number: 5
you might also want to look into db drives stuff, its pretty good, im pretty sure their db line fits in ur budget

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 147
Thanks for the help, ill look into what you guys said.
Also dont I need a 4ch amp to run 1 pair of component speakers? I thought I rememberd reading somewhere that you put the woofer and the tweeter to seperate channels.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1218
nooo when running comp sets ur Mid bass and Tweeter connect into Crossover box then from the crossover box to the amp, if you use the 4 channel amp you have to bridge the amp so it is a 2 channel amp anyways

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 764
When running your comp set active, you would need a 4-channel amp. This is more advanced and would require you to determine crossover points and slopes yourself. If you don't have any experience with this, definitely stick with the passive crossovers and a 2-channel amp. If I can be of any assistance or if you have further questions regarding active vs. passive (or other technical questions), feel free to email me at mike@exigeaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us