CVRs or type Rs

Username: Tdwpgtp

Cleveland, Ohio

Post Number: 1
heres the deal, i have 2 alpine mrp-m450s (400 watts rms each) in my 97 grand prix gtp coupe. im trying to decide whether to keep my alpine type R 12s, or my kicker CVR 12s. i know for a fact that the type Rs hit the higher bass notes better when in my ported box, and they are sound quality subs. the kickers on the other hand hit lower notes louder in a sealed box I THINK. my problem is that i cannot switch them out quick enough to notice a difference. and i dont have a decible meter. any help would be great. and please dont just be a kicker or alpine hater because both speakers DO sound good and are very close

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1741
for spl id go cvr's for any sort of sq go with the type R if your open to suggestions post a budget and we can get you a better sub than both of those

Cleveland, Ohio

Post Number: 2
well i already own both of those two sets and im trying to decide which to sell. keep in mind the type Rs are rated to take 500rms and im only putting a rated 400 rms into them. the CVRs are rated at 400 rms each so they are matched just right to those amps. this is a big decision because i plan to keep whichever subs i pick for good. im sick of switchin stuff around all the time haha

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2787
I like both sub choices. I think that it is a toss up with either choice with that power. but the alpine has more output all the way around on more power.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14794
IMHO the cvr is not a bad sub but the R pwns it in every which way ...

Bronze Member
Username: Kickittothacurb

Post Number: 12
dude they are both super inefficient. you would probably be better off in the overall with the Type R's. CVR's are pretty much worthless. Kicker is too overpriced and too talked up. Not worth it

Silver Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 278
the type r's run for more then the cvr's so kicker wins the price war on this one drew but he could just put one of each sub in the box at the same time but you realy should post a budget there are some subs out there that will give you both what the typer's give and what the cvr's give

Cleveland, Ohio

Post Number: 3
please note that i already own both the CVRs and the type Rs. im deciding which to keep. the price does not matter. im not looking to buy something else, just decide between the two. plus i need to keep each sub rated around 400 rms for whatever i pick, so in that case what would be a different sub that my alpine amps could power properly? and not incredibly expensive

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 971
RD studio series are 350 watts rms. They would be great off of 300 watts rms. They cost $160 for the 12.

http://www.rdaudio.net/studio/studio.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2789
keep the r's. they are not bad at all.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14797
keep the Rs - better sounding sub overall ...

Cleveland, Ohio

Post Number: 4
well since not many people seem to think that either of my two choices are worth it, any other recommendations for any other subs. i want a good balance of spl and sq, if possible. and i dont want any ugly subs. simple and clean is usually best

Gold Member

Post Number: 2790
dude all but 1 post told you that your subs are fine. Most said to keep the type-r's.

What would be your budget for subs..
Any chance that you will go with a more powerful(1000-1200 wrms) single sub amp setup?

What kind of enclosure are you planning on using?

Silver Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 279
I was not saying you have to get some more subs its just that the two different subs in one box may give what you what want but it will look a bit odd and like they said the type r's are good subs if you want to sell them i will buy

Cleveland, Ohio

Post Number: 5
umm well i mean for both subs im lookin to keep it around 250 maybe 300 at the most. i didnt pay nearly that for the kickers and i got the type Rs for 230 in a slot ported box in perfect shape. as far as the kind of box im going to use, ill just use whatever box sounds better on whichever subs i use. i have sealed and ported already. and as far as anything more powerful, my cars electrical system couldnt handle anything more powerful than what i have now. i mean im open for suggestions and all, so just let me know. thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1427
type R
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us