Subwoofers...

Username: Mpinto19k

Tx

Post Number: 1
Here's my story, I'm looking to purchase two 10" kickers. Money isn't really an issue I'm returning from Iraq and have money to play with. I definitely just want to stay with two 10" kickers either way, but what would be the best ones to get. With that I've heard that the L7's are the way to go when going with kicker. True or False?

Also I really don't know much about subs and I've been reading quite a bit trying to educate myself. Can anyone explain to me or give me a website on what things to look for which make subs better than others etc. and what is a good place to have install them or if it's just as easy to install yourself.

Any information would be nice, thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2743
No offense, but if you've been reading a lot you would know not to purchase Kicker subs. Amps, different story, but their subs are not of high quality.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1706
My opinion install them yourself.. Alot of places mess up in installing them, and really dunno wtf they are doing..

But there are WAY better subs out there
You say you hae no budget so look at

Audioque
Ascendant Audio
Cascade Designs
Digital Designs
Fi
Re

Don't get Keeker only there amps are good, i just named a few

Tx

Post Number: 2
Ok cool and when I said I've been reading I meant as in like what Ohms are exactly and RMS stuff like that. I had always been told Kicker was a good brand of subs but this is exactly why I'm trying to educate myself.

And yes like I said I have no budget so I do want to get some of the best 10" subs I can get and i say 10" because that's my happy medium don't need anything SUPER loud and awesome just want a REALLY nice sound with some good bass to follow.

So out of those that Kangology which would you say would be the top of the line to go with or is it just a personal preference at that point?

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 862
I am selling a couple tens made by sound splinter that sound great. I could sell them to you for a reasonable price

Here is a link to there website

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli10_subwoofer_information.html

As for a good site to learn about car audio...lots of good information!

http://www.bcae1.com/

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4042
there is really a lot more info needed to helpus help you makethe absolute best decision. im so past people just throwing out subwoofer companies.

few questions....
:-)
how much power are you looking to run?

how big of an enclosure can you fit/size preference?

what type of music do you listen to? you looking for more loud then sound quality?

that is a good start to finding a good answer:-)

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 358
I say put you one nice 15 in there. RD alpha.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 137
6 JL W7 13s would have nice SQ...

^

no but if your looking for 10s kciker isn't the way to go, (trust ME)

if you're looking to get 10s, dont listen to kyle, he likes it in the buttox.

possibly one 12? that way you could make a GREAT ported box, and not take up much space. The companies Kangology listed are great, JL audio is good too, but the ones he listed are very good and not as pricy.

Tx

Post Number: 3
Ok I'm changing it up on you, I'm wanting to get TWO 12" subs, like I said price isn't really an issue.

I don't quite follow you on the how much power i want to run?

I listen to just about everything I'm mostly a Rap/Rock guy so that's why i just want an all around good system.

I have a Ford Explorer Sport so I have plenty of room in the back to work with. I plan on making my own box and installing myself. I have a friend who does all this stuff and hes going to help me run everything.

I hope that covers a little more ground on what I'm looking for. Don't have to get to technical on me I probably wont understand that's why I'm here trying to get some opinions from people who know whats out there and whats good.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1052
2 sundown nightshad 12's and a SAZ-3000D would be sex :-)

Tx

Post Number: 4
Rated power output
--RMS power, 2 ohm linkable/dual mono 6000W x 1CH
--RMS power, 1 ohm mono 3000W x 1CH
--RMS power, 2 ohm mono 1600W x 1CH
--RMS power, 4 ohm mono 800W x 1CH

Why is it that with more OHM you get less power to it. And is it better to run more OHM or less (i was told that more OHM is better or better sound quality/distortion) because i was wanting to do 4 OHM so would that mean say i get a sub that pushes 600RMS and i have two of those technically, that amp wouldn't be able to push it to its peak RMS since i would be powering 2 subs at 4 OHM. am i right or wrong?
(dont hate im just trying to learn)

And that is in regards to D-Money SAZ-3000D which would be nice buts its talking about needing dual batteries and changing alternators and sh*t

Bronze Member
Username: Ezstuff

Neenah, Wisconsin United States

Post Number: 59
Ohm is whats used to measure the resistance in an electronic circuit. so the less resistance the more current going to the device.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1721
it doesnt - most amps put out more power at a lower ohm

the "RMS power, 2 ohm linkable/dual mono 6000W x 1CH" would be 2 of those amps strapped

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1722
i cannot read hahaha my bad

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2153
that was a pointless suggestion. Are you willing to upgrade your electrical or do you want to keep it stock? On most stock electricals you can run 1000 watts or maybe a little more depending on your stock alt size.

Tx

Post Number: 7
Ok ok don't everyone attack me at once but I'm really leaning towards going with these i see them as good starters so i can learn how to install everything (have a friend going to teach me) and learn how to mount the subs to a box so like i said in another thread im a rookie I'm trying to learn granted if these really are that bad which from what I've heard they are not at all they will be a good start for myself.
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/08ds12l74.aspx

Now with that what amp would be good?
See if I've learned here would this amp be good to run it bridged at 4 ohm?

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/08zx25001.aspx

If i were to hook that up right and bridge the channel i would be getting roughly 600 watts to each sub correct?

Im just using that amp as an example to see if im looking at the right things. If anyone can give me some links to good amps for those subs it would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11298
Run four of these at 2 ohms for 160 and get free shipping.

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/rsd10d.aspx

with an amp that puts out 1000 - 1200 at 2 ohms

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2155
i say nay to the kicker subs.

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 10
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/cs312rg-w1v2.aspx

What about these? Someone was saying JL was good.

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 866
x2 about the kickers

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 11
Well so far I understand not to get the kickers, got it. ANY suggestions, I would like to get something that comes with the box, yeah i know this and that but im a rookie im starting simple ill work my way up as i learn, even if it means learning from my mistakes

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11306
Get 4 of the phoenix gold rsd 10's and have a custom box built.

www.fishercustoms.com

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/rsd10d.aspx

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4932
alright my suggestions would be to get.

1 15" pushing around 1200 rms

so that would leave you with
re xxx
rd alpha
fi q
IA death row
anythgin digital designs if yuou want to go higher
or the nightshade idea was good if you have no budget seeing how you could grab the xtra batts and ho alt. Nobody you know would be able to touch you. Do it right the first tiem all I have to say otherwise youll just be doing it again and again and again.

and the amp you want it to do 1200 @ 1 ohm.

it doesnt sound better at a diffrent ohm diffrent ohms are used for diffrent wiring scenarios.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4933
oh and also have someone build you a box I would suggest fishercustoms as of right now

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2160
good suggestions.

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 12
Well I think I'm going to go with:

2x Sonance 15" V.2 D4
1x RD 1750.1 09' model

Seem to be solid subs I've been talking with an RD Rep and has been helping me out. These seem like just what i want.
And thanks for the turn off to Kicker!

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2443
sonances are kickin azz in the lanes, But they are running A LOT more than two... That is a great choice for a good setup. You will need electrical upgrades.(big 3, and a GOOD battery would be minimum), If volt drop is drastic then look into H.O. alt and/or 2nd GOOD battery

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 13
Yeah this is my setup so far:

2x Sonance 15" V.2 D4
1x RD 1750.1 09' model
Custom Box
2xSET Alpha Comps 6x5's
1x RD 85.4 (amp for running the speakers)
Undecided on head unit probably going with an Eclipse.
Getting an upgrade on battery for sure if not just a second one.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4936
ya for hu's go with eclipse, alpine, or pioneer.

that sounds like a nice setup you'll def need to upgrade your electrical though.

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 15
Well last request, I'm waiting to order when some of there new 09 products come in but once I get all my stuff im going to be doing the install myself for the most part.

But if someone lives near Dallas, Texas all the way up to or around Austin, Texas im willing to pay someone for help in the install ill come to you, Ill have everything needed for the install. I'm wanting to learn and am willing to pay fair price for help on install so if anyone lives around these areas or knows of someone who does let me know please I would VERY much appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9746
2x Sonance 15" V.2 D4
1x RD 1750.1 09' model
Custom Box
2xSET Alpha Comps 6x5's
1x RD 85.4 (amp for running the speakers)

Badazz setup. Also look into alpine for the HU.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2486
pioneer>alpine

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2181
and here comes people talking about the RCA whine.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 558
do an Eclipse 3200, i have a eclipse 3200 on a single 18" sonance pushed by an 1750.1. that eclipes rocks

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 17
Yeah I might just have to stop being so damn picky about the HU I want. I was wanting a HU that had the nav/ipod option but I'm having trouble finding a good one with everything that I want. But I'm excited about getting everything and getting it all hooked up Kevin Holden is helped me out with the choices to so I gotta give props to him hes just waiting for couple new models of the alphas and amp to come in then I'm going to order.

And I'm changing the 85.4 for a 130.1 amp to push more RMS to the new alphas witch push 100 RMS

Bronze Member
Username: Terra

Post Number: 19
Thanks for the Cascade shout out Kangology.

They might work nicely for you OP. Plus with the space in the expo you could run 2 15"s even.

www.cascade-designs.com

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 18
Alright here it is, full setup:

2x RD Sonance 15" V.2 D4
1x RD 1750.1 (09' model)
Custom Box
2xSET Alpha Comps 6x5's
1x RD 130.4 (amp for running the speakers)
Eclipse 7200 MKII

I will also be using a second battery in trunk.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. I cant wait to get home and get it all installed!

Username: Mysticstyl3z

Naperville, Illinois USA

Post Number: 2
yo if you change your mind and decide to run 1 15" sub, i have a basically new 15" RD Sonance v2 dual 2 ohm, WITH a custom box built to specs that i could sell you. Or you could get 2 D2 Sonances and run them at .5 ohm on the RD amp. i have the same amp btw. let me know if you are interested.

also, good choice on the sub, i think you will be very happy with 1 or 2 sonances.

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 19
Mystic thanks but no thanks, I'm going to stick with what I've got. Thanks for the offer though.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9779
Awesome system you got picked out there. Except the 2nd battery won't do much.... it would be easier and cheaper to replace the stock battery with a good one and will also aviod potential problems down the road that are caused by wiring different battereies together.

Remember that if you end up needing more power the alternator is the source, with an amp that size think about an HO alternator.

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 20
Appreciate the input M.s. and yeah there are still some minor details I am working out mostly all with the electrical aspect of the whole thing now. Last step will be getting my @ss home and getting it all setup!

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2715
Maurico, I live about 6 hours from you. If you wanted to meet half way in Tyler or longview or something, I could help you out with your install.

Nice system you got picked out. That eclipse unit is awesome and worth every penny.

Bronze Member

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 21
Nick V I think I have found someone already, but can I still get your email address just in case. I wont be getting back home until early/mid march sometime either way. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us